Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got soaked in engine oil!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:37 PM
katanaplanet
Banned
Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts
Default I got soaked in engine oil!!

Fixing/modifying a 2008 Heritage. The bike had front end damage and probably lying down for a while. The engine oil reservoir was empty. I drained all the oil from the bottom. Prob a quart came out. I put 3.5 quarts of synthetic. Also changed all other oils. Painted the bike, replaced front end etc etc. The bike was on a stand all this time straight. After marrying the TSM, I started the bike, it started and was running fine. After two minutes the engine oil reservoir cap flew and oil splashed all over the place. It was overflowing and seemed kinda dirty and frothy. Where did all this come from? I drained 3/4 of a quart started it again and after one minute the level in the reservoir started to rise again to reach the top. I shut it off and wan to know experts opinion.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default sumpin

All the oil had bled down into the crankcase. I've still got an oil stain on my shop floor from the same thing happening. Bought a 100 year Anniversary Heritage that had been sitting for 4 years. No oil in the bag so filled her up and had mount Vesuvius style eruption. Don't know if it will be the same in your case but ended up changing out the oil pump a few months later.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:56 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Not sure about this since Harley's have a dry sump, but you might consider a blown head gasket. It might be pressurizing the oil system. The froth is the key. Another thought that comes to mind is you said it had little oil in the tank. It may have been in the crank case. If so, then when you drained the oil, you really didn't get all the oil out of the bike. If thats the case then you may have as much as 5 quarts in it.. Again the froth. With that much oil the crank is whipping it up. I'd vote for the quantity of oil. The first thing I mentioned is remote, if not impossible on a Harley.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 10-08-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:59 PM
threadstopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not an expert but i assume that all the original oil drained into the engine from the oil bag and was trapped in there by the check valve. when you added the new oil it added to the old trapped oil and your oil bag ended up overfilled and overflowed. i would start over again and drain the oil bag and add 2 quarts start motor and get it up to operating temp then check level and add additional oil until halfway up the dipstick at operating temperature.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:47 PM
katanaplanet
Banned

It indeed was a mount Vesuvius style eruption. I love the way you described it.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:48 PM
katanaplanet
Banned

The temp gauge cap flew off with sh**load of oil splashing on my face and hair.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:10 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default sumpin

Well PitB sumping into the crankcase is something that does happen and is not impossible. Our oil tanks are above the oil pump and if the oil pump has some wear, or it might have some contaminant, poor tolerances or whatever it is possible for oil to seep by and fill the cam chest and crankcase. The Heritage I bought is living proof and sounds like katanaplanet will be able to verify. On a side note I have a 80 shovelhead(totally different oil pump than TC) that when it sits for a few months it blows a quart out the exhaust pipe when starting it. It has a check ball that stops the oil from leaking by theoretically. And I also had to look for the Oil cap:-)

Old 10-09-2014, 06:06 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by katanaplanet
The temp gauge cap flew off with sh**load of oil splashing on my face and hair.
When I swapped the stock cap for a "temp" cap I noticed it wasn't as tight as the stock cap and would come out of the tank while riding. The cure was to put a o-ring on the neck of the temp cap. No problem since.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:25 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowyone
Well PitB sumping into the crankcase is something that does happen and is not impossible. Our oil tanks are above the oil pump and if the oil pump has some wear, or it might have some contaminant, poor tolerances or whatever it is possible for oil to seep by and fill the cam chest and crankcase. The Heritage I bought is living proof and sounds like katanaplanet will be able to verify. On a side note I have a 80 shovelhead(totally different oil pump than TC) that when it sits for a few months it blows a quart out the exhaust pipe when starting it. It has a check ball that stops the oil from leaking by theoretically. And I also had to look for the Oil cap:-)
No, I was saying a blown head gasket pressurizing the oil system was near impossible. I agree with the oil pooling in the crankcase.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:16 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

on engine oil changes with new filter on my 07 Heritage only takes 2 1/2 qts to fill her back up to the 1/2 way between low and full marks on the dip stick....

3 1/2 qts is to much oil to put back in ....

Quick Reply: I got soaked in engine oil!!