Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i hate the switches on this bike!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014 | 06:16 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Thanks Doc!

And thanks for the pic. I was wondering how far they protruded out and that pic helped. Looks effective.

Great pic, by the way, all the chrome and the white horses with the cool white throwback grips. Great bike you have there.

Your pic also reminds me the kill switch is next to the hazards. Wouldn't want to mix those two up either. Ugh.

I remember when you could hold down both blinkers and that would turn on the hazards.

I think I better run through all the buttons at least once a day to make things reflex and I've been riding Harleys for 17 years!

Old 10-05-2014 | 07:04 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

Originally Posted by Stone Cliff
lol. Yeah, I did that too..... Once
Me three. At 80mph in a torrential downpour. Went to hit the hazards, hit the kill switch and WTF. Remembered reading on here that you just switch it back on and yes, the bike fired right back up.

Old 10-05-2014 | 08:17 AM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by FurryOne
Hey JD, don't feel bad,... shortly after I got my Breakout I was riding at night and hit the shutoff instead of the right directional - that's sure a WTF! moment - especially when you can't see what you just did.
Yeah, I've done that more than once, usually while rolling up to an intersection with a good-looking female in the car next to you watching...

Old 10-05-2014 | 09:36 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I can never find the horn in a panic situation either. Most time I opt for the Internationally known hand signal instead once all is clear. I don't have directionals on the Softail so I just hit anything on the left side and I usually get the horn without any directionals going on. The SG has directionals so I activate them a lot instead of the horn. The only time I seem to use the horn is if the guy in front of me is texting when the light turns green or I see someone up ahead I know or passing a friends house and I can have my finger on the button in advance.

Last edited by E8USMCRET; 10-05-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-05-2014 | 10:22 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jtarter
Solution===wire horn to left turn signal
Here is a thread from several months ago inquiring about swapping the horn and left turn signal wiring.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...al-switch.html

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
Thanks Doc!

And thanks for the pic. I was wondering how far they protruded out and that pic helped. Looks effective.

Great pic, by the way, all the chrome and the white horses with the cool white throwback grips. Great bike you have there.

Your pic also reminds me the kill switch is next to the hazards. Wouldn't want to mix those two up either. Ugh.

I remember when you could hold down both blinkers and that would turn on the hazards.

I think I better run through all the buttons at least once a day to make things reflex and I've been riding Harleys for 17 years!
SoCalSoftailSlim, I'm glad the pic helped. It was shear coincidence that my grey horses were in the mirrors reflection when I shot the picture. I ride a horse almost every day whether a living, breathing one or an iron horse that comes alive with a heavy breather.

I hope the extended caps work well for you.

Old 10-05-2014 | 03:32 PM
Strahley
Cruiser

I removed mine. I'd rather focus on avoiding an accident or whatever else is at hand than trying to find a little horn button and reassuring somebody that they are doing something wrong

Old 10-05-2014 | 10:36 PM
DrewNJ
Tourer

Originally Posted by Stone Cliff
I hate to say it, but the metric bikes do it way better than Harley in this area. One switch on the left hand grip for the turn signals. Move it left, move it right with your left thumb. No taking you hand off the throttle.... Makes WAY more sense than the way Harley does it.
Agreed, or even push that single left side button in to cancel. Took some time to get used to the Harley auto cancel and feeling sure it actually canceled on its own....still getting used to the right side button though..

Old 10-06-2014 | 07:08 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Strahley
I removed mine. I'd rather focus on avoiding an accident or whatever else is at hand than trying to find a little horn button and reassuring somebody that they are doing something wrong
Sometimes, all it takes to avoid an accident is waking someone else up. I wouldn't be without my horn. Use it quite regularly.

The other day, some old guy decided to back out of a parking space without looking, and was actually pushing my wife's bike backwards across the parking lot with her on it. She laid on the horn and he stopped. Might have gotten pretty ugly otherwise.

Old 10-06-2014 | 05:24 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Strahley
I agree, removed mine a couple years ago. Even when I had it, it never got used. I don't even use the one on my truck or van. Your first instinct when someone does something stupid should be to avoid the bad situation, not fiddle fart around trying to find the horn button. Then when you're safe, the horn can be used to express your displeasure. I prefer my middle finger for that. Some people swear they can't live without it, never really understood why, and I might question their riding ability if that is how they avoid accidents. Loud pipes and situational awareness are all I've ever needed.

Old 10-06-2014 | 05:58 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jreichart
I agree, removed mine a couple years ago. Even when I had it, it never got used.
Then how would you know if it might come in handy?

A few bikes back, I converted my horn button to a nitrous activation switch. No horn. Didn't think I needed one. But I'm a little older and wiser now.

No fiddle-farting needed to find the horn button, if you practice. And yup, you can hit the horn and perform braking and evasive maneuvers at the same time.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 10-06-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Quick Reply: i hate the switches on this bike!