Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alert - Front brake master cylinder leakage on Breakout and ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 06:41 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 265 Posts
Default Alert - Front brake master cylinder leakage on Breakout and ?

I thought I'd pass on an alert for Breakout owners, and possibly owners of other HD models.

Late last week, after a ride on my 2014 Breakout, with just 4300 miles on it, I noticed some liquid "tracks" on the top of the front brake master cylinder. I traced them back to the front gasket surface of the master cylinder - the wind created by highway speeds had simply blown leaking brake fluid rearward. I quickly wiped it off, but the fluid had already permanently marked the lid of the master cylinder. I checked both mounting bolts: they were NOT loose.

So, I made an appointment with my selling HD dealer, and took the bike in today. During the 30 mile ride in to the dealership, more fluid appeared and tracked on the lid.

The dealership replaced the master cylinder cap and gasket under warranty. But, here's the interesting part: The dealership made the swap before I even had to ask for a new lid (not just a new gasket), AND THEY HAD IT IN STOCK. Given the prompt, no fuss replacement and the fact that the gasket and lid were both in stock, I suspect I am not the only owner with a leaking master cylinder gasket.

If yours has been leaking and you did not notice, you will see "tracks" in the paint finish on the lid, where the brake fluid has attacked the paint and permanently scarred it.

Jim G

Old 09-29-2014, 07:34 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 158 Posts

common problem dealer will warranty it no prob. mine was done last week.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:15 PM
NH Marcus
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2010 Deluxe just experienced this too...

Old 09-29-2014, 09:05 PM
kerplunk38
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was leaking, too, at 900 miles. Didn't require any new parts to fix and I did it myself.

Held bike upright. Removed cap and seal. Wiped seal completely dry, reinstalled seal, reinstalled cap, and alternately tightened screws without over tightening. Not a drop in the last several thousand miles.

Most of the time the leaks on master cylinder seals are due to improper installation; the seal was installed wet with fluid on the edges. Once these seals are wet with fluid on the sealing surface itself they will leak.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:18 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by kerplunk38
Mine was leaking, too, at 900 miles. Didn't require any new parts to fix and I did it myself.

Held bike upright. Removed cap and seal. Wiped seal completely dry, reinstalled seal, reinstalled cap, and alternately tightened screws without over tightening. Not a drop in the last several thousand miles.

Most of the time the leaks on master cylinder seals are due to improper installation; the seal was installed wet with fluid on the edges. Once these seals are wet with fluid on the sealing surface itself they will leak.
This is good information! If true, what might have happened is that during the 1000 mile service, the technician might have spilled some brake fluid onto the seal?

Jim G

Old 09-29-2014, 10:25 PM
kerplunk38
Novice

Yes, in fact mine occurred just after my initial service and it was most likely due to the tech being in a hurry.

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
This is good information! If true, what might have happened is that during the 1000 mile service, the technician might have spilled some brake fluid onto the seal?

Jim G

Old 09-30-2014, 01:47 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

I just recently had my stock lid replaced with a chromed one by my dealer. No leakage before, nor since.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:09 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by EagleRay
I just recently had my stock lid replaced with a chromed one by my dealer. No leakage before, nor since.
X2

Old 09-30-2014, 07:28 AM
usmcbuck
Tourer

Mine did the same thing at 800 miles leaking just a little, they fixed it with a new lid and its been perfect since.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:27 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 334 Posts

If you over tighten the screws for the cap it will distort the seal and cause them to leak. The spec is only 10 inch pounds. My method is to use the shaft of a screw driver to run the screws in till they bottom out and then go another 1/4 turn. So far I have had no leaks.

Quick Reply: Alert - Front brake master cylinder leakage on Breakout and ?