Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhausted With Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005 | 01:28 AM
Fatbernie
|
Road Captain
Default Exhausted With Exhaust

I would really like to bottom line this once and for all. I just got a 2005 Fat Boy with stock pipes. Of course, "Lets make some noise here". However, I have read, and read, and read about SEII's and Stage 1 kits and air flow and remapping, etc. My dealer wants to sell me the entire ranch on this one. Is there anyone out there that can tell me if I can just go out and buy a set of Screaming Eagle II Slip On's and put them on myself (well, really on the bike) for around 300 bucks? Also, can I not simply change an air filter myself? Do I absolutely need my dealer for any of the above? HELP! I am frustrated.
Bernie

Old 09-11-2005 | 02:16 AM
Hog_fever
Road Captain
Default RE: Exhausted With Exhaust

My grandma could do these upgrades. Got my screaming eagle II's for around $225. If you do the air filter upgrade you will have to rejet or remap with EFI. I know plenty of people who have put on aftermarket mufflers without rejetting. You only have to do that when you increase air flow.

Old 09-12-2005 | 04:44 PM
Bannana Boat
Road Captain

Hogfever is correct. You do not need to remap or rejet with S.E. slip on's and most pipe in general. Remapping is for when you open up the intake, they just reprogram the the ECM so that it runs a little richer. I have lots of friends that have done slip-ons and opened intakes without re-mapping, it just runs a little lean. The best performance gain you will see will be opening the intake. Like hogfever said, it is really pretty easy especailly if you have worked on anything mechanical before. You can always buy a maintenance manual and get step by step, but most of the parts come with directions. Good luck you will like the mods. I have a set of S.E. 2 slip ons I bought last year and used for 100 miles if your interested, they are baloney cut. Just pm me.

Old 09-12-2005 | 05:45 PM
mchaous
Cruiser

If you have a FatBoy and you are thinking of having a backseat driver...rider you better think about something else besides the dual exhaust system that is on your bike. Or you will have a rider that will be balancing there right foot so as to not melt there shoe.

Reason for saying this is if you spend money for slipons and then decide to change exhaust pipes later you will have wasted more money.

my 5 cents...

Old 09-12-2005 | 07:31 PM
STYX
Advanced

I put on a st od SEII with no remap on my Delux and no problem at all.

Mchaous is right on. I had a hell of a time getting the soul of my wifes
shoe off the top pipe. Pain in the a$$

Old 09-13-2005 | 06:09 AM
tbroenick97
Tourer

i got cycle shack slip ons- only about 100$ pipes look great and sound great. but from what i hear no doubt you need the dealer to remap, the equipment for that is rediculously expensive. but i do believe it would be very easy to do the rest of the stage one by yourself (the air filter part) but you qould still need the kit and i dont think youll get much cheaper than cycle shack slip ons and you still going to be at a solid 300$ all said and done

Old 09-13-2005 | 06:58 PM
Fatbernie
|
Road Captain

Thanks to one and all. I really appreciate all the advice. Very useful forum and people.
thanks again.
Bernie

Old 09-14-2005 | 08:32 AM
jtfrog
Cruiser

If iwas putting on slip ons and a stage one filter i would remap. Why take a chance and run lean, not good