Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxiliary lamp kit bs

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:03 PM
jbroughton
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Auxiliary lamp kit bs

Why can nothing ever be simple and work as advertised? I purchased the auxiliary lamp kit (69287-05) for my '06 FLSTI Heritage Softail. The kit is sold without bulbs so that you can get the right bulbs to match your bike. So I ordered the clear lens bulbs with vertical reflector optics (68348-05) to match my headlight. So far, so good. All the stuff arrived today (thanks Zanotti). I mounted the light bar and the bulb housings, no problem. But when I go to install the bulbs, I run into a snag... the two wires inside each housing have spade connectors, and the picture in the instructions show a bulb with spade terminals on it. Only problem is that the bulbs I have in hand have a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT type connector on the back of them! It's a female connector that obviously needs the male half to work, but there's no such connector in the kit anywhere. So now I've got this contraption mounted on my bike, but can't hook up the lights! Has anybody else run into this? Any idea what the part # of the male half of this connector is that I need to complete this installation?

Thanks!
Jeff

Old 04-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Strgzr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Auxiliary lamp kit bs

I have the kit at home with the bulbs but not installed yet as my bike is a week old. I am on travel but when I get home l8r this week, I will look to see what I have and report out on this to include part numbers.

Best Regards,
Mike

Old 04-11-2007, 07:08 AM
YEFFRO12
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: jbroughton

Why can nothing ever be simple and work as advertised? I purchased the auxiliary lamp kit (69287-05) for my '06 FLSTI Heritage Softail. The kit is sold without bulbs so that you can get the right bulbs to match your bike. So I ordered the clear lens bulbs with vertical reflector optics (68348-05) to match my headlight. So far, so good. All the stuff arrived today (thanks Zanotti). I mounted the light bar and the bulb housings, no problem. But when I go to install the bulbs, I run into a snag... the two wires inside each housing have spade connectors, and the picture in the instructions show a bulb with spade terminals on it. Only problem is that the bulbs I have in hand have a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT type connector on the back of them! It's a female connector that obviously needs the male half to work, but there's no such connector in the kit anywhere. So now I've got this contraption mounted on my bike, but can't hook up the lights! Has anybody else run into this? Any idea what the part # of the male half of this connector is that I need to complete this installation?

Thanks!
Jeff
It's always a craps shoot in my mind right before I open a box, or start turning a wrench... "Is this going to go smoooth, or be a major PITA?"

I looked up those part numbers and I'm tracking on what you bought. You'd think they all had the same connector?

While we're on the subject jbroughton. Did the aux light kityou bought come with the turn signals and the mounts to put them on the light bar? I've seen bikes with the turn signals mounted to the light bar, and I've seen bikes with just the headlight and aux-lights...

Old 04-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Nortonics
Cruiser

That's why they supply crimp-onbutt connectors with the kit (or at least they should have):

Just chop the existing connectors off and splice the wires together with 'em.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:19 AM
jbroughton
Cruiser

YEFFRO12, no provision for turn signals with this kit. I may try to move the turn signals later, I just want to see how I like it before I go any further with it.

Nortonics, I believe there are some butt connectors in the kit, but I thought they were used to run the wiring to the on/off switch. I still don't have male connectors to plug into the female receptacle on the bulbs?

Old 04-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Nortonics
Cruiser

I still don't have male connectors to plug into the female receptacle on the bulbs?
Yeah, I had to rework those wire ends as well in my case. I used older style amber bulbs in mine, and as such they had screw-down terminals, whereas the Harley wiring had a push-on female style connector. I just whacked off that female connector and crimped on a spade connector:

Problem solved. If your lamp connector is different just get a crimp-on connector that fits it at any automotive store or Radio Shack.

In your case maybe something like this? Crimp-On Male Disconnects:

Old 04-11-2007, 10:26 AM
jbroughton
Cruiser

Actually the wires inside the auxiliary light housing have the female version of that second connector. Problem is that the bulb itself also has a female, 2 pinplastic connector, that is completely different. I can rig it to work, but for the $$$ they charge for this setup, I expected a simple plug-n-play connection! I brought one of the housings and one of the bulbs with me today. I'll check by the dealer this afternoon and see how much more this is going to cost me <sigh>

If they can't help, I'll try to take some pics tonight and post them to see if you guys have any suggestions. Thanks for the help!

Old 04-11-2007, 10:32 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mornin' jbroughton...

I had thought that I was the only wierd one that this had happened to! It's comforting to know that I have some company!

I installed the HD 69287-05 Light Bar and the HD 68208-98A Halogen Lamps on my new Fat Boy. I assumed that since everything was HD that these type of situations would not occur...well, they did! None of the connectors matched, but my instructions told me to cut the connectors off of the wires and to use the supplied crimp connectors and shrink-tube. I used my own connectors and double walled shrink-tube with the weather-tite sealant on the inside...buttoned everything up and all works well.

I think that for the kind of $$$ we spend for these parts that this situation should never occur! JMHO

Good luck!

Steve

Old 04-11-2007, 12:00 PM
smittyp83
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks!
Jeff
Thanks for the heads-up! I was thinking about adding these on my bike as well! Let me know how it turns out.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:38 PM
mvandolson
Novice

I had the same problem. I just cut the wires and rigged my own connections up. I also thought that Harley should have supplied the correct wiring harness to hook it up too....cheap (not in price) came to my mind.

Quick Reply: Auxiliary lamp kit bs