Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Classic brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011 | 07:33 AM
Maddog2011
|
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Classic brake problem

I have a 2008 Ultra Classic and have developed a front brake problem. In just the last week, it appears that there's some amount of pressure being applied to the front brakes automatically. When I lift the front wheel up and try to spin it by hand, I can feel the resistance from the brakes. Not sure if it's one side or both. Also, the brake lights are illuminated without my having to apply the brakes and the cruise control won't activate...presumably because it thinks the brakes are being applied.

I'm not sure where to start looking. Is this a hydraulic problem? Electrical? Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not an accomplished mechanic, but have some basic skills. I thought I'd try to troubleshoot it myself before spending the $$ at the shop...at least enough to determine whether it's out of my skill level.

Old 08-30-2011 | 07:50 AM
patsfan
Road Captain

I would do the following:
1 - check brake fluid for level and condition
2 - pull calipers, clean pistons, make sure pads are not hanging up

Old 08-30-2011 | 08:10 AM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I would check the brake light switch 1st. it is normal for the wheels to have some drag on them from the brake rotors.

Old 08-30-2011 | 08:11 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Sounds like a frozen caliper. I'd follow the steps suggested above. You might also try some brake cleaner. CRC makes a good product.

Old 08-30-2011 | 09:19 AM
KACook
Advanced

If the master cylender is not releasing it will leave pressure on the lines.
Crack the bleader open at the caliper and see if it releases. If the caliper is stuck the pressure should not be there.

Also the brake light SW has nothing to do withthe pressure. It is activated by the lever on the handlebars.

After saying this and re-reading what you said, I wonder if you have done anything recently to the Handlebar controls. If so it is problbly the Brake Light Switch.

As hover stated earlier " I would check the brake light switch 1st. it is normal for the wheels to have some drag on them from the brake rotors. "

Old 08-30-2011 | 10:11 AM
Maddog2011
|
5th Gear

Hey, thanks for all the good suggestions. These are definitely worth checking out. I had just returned from a 2300 mile trip and was cleaning/checking the bike over when I discovered the problem. It's possible that I got some water into the handlebar switch housing when washing the bike, so I'll check that out first. It seems to make sense since sticky calipers wouldn't account for the always-on brake lights. But I'll also check out the calipers.

Old 08-30-2011 | 11:08 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

One of your Brake Light switches is probally bad. As for the brakes dragging it is normal to have some drag on all disk brakes. If you had a caliper sticking you could see it in the rotors and the amount of heat the brake is putting out. If you had the front brake lever off I would go there first.

Old 08-30-2011 | 03:47 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Since the cruise control won't activate I'm thinking there is pressure in the brake system. Think I'd check that first.

Old 08-30-2011 | 03:56 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would first check the front master cylinder,that would cause both problems you have !!

Old 08-30-2011 | 03:56 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
Since the cruise control won't activate I'm thinking there is pressure in the brake system. Think I'd check that first.
Not necessarily so.
A bad brake light switch will keep the brake lights on, and not allow the cruise to activate.

The following users liked this post:
f150bft (09-03-2017)

Quick Reply: Ultra Classic brake problem