Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security System

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:02 AM
wdatkinson
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security System

I have a 2007 50th Anniversary Edition Sportster 1200, that I've decided to sell. The bike has been sleeping comfortably all winter on a jack in my garage attached to a battery tender.

This particular model has the proximity fobs, instead of the traditional push button fobs for arming/disarming the alarm. I've checked the batteries in both fobs, and while not 100%, they are about 85-90%. The alarm just does not disarm when the key is placed near the bike.

I do have the service manual for this model, however, the security system information is contained in a separate manual. I'm hoping someone on here can help me figure out my problem, and or tell me what I need to do to re-program the security system for the fobs, if that's the problem. I have someone coming on Saturday to look at the bike, and right now, I can't even start it.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:31 PM
yet_erp
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Security System

I don't know if my 2009 Sportster is the same or not but here is the sequence to display your security pin number.

turn key to ignition
turn key to off
turn key to ignition
turn key to off
turn key to ignition
press left turn signal (3) times
press right turn signal (1) time

The pin should show up in your odometer window.

Then to disarm the security system do the following:

turn key to ignition
immediately hold both turn switches in until 5 dashes appear in odom window
press left turn signal X times where x is the first digit in your pin
press right turn signal
press left turn signal x times for you second digit
press right turn signal
continue as above for all 5 digits and end with pressing the right turn signal.

Hope this works on your bike. The Fobs don't need to be near for the
manual override.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:35 PM
yet_erp
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Security System

However, the fob must be near to retrieve the pin. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:59 PM
wdatkinson
Advanced

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, since the alarm is armed, none of the bypass options work for me. I tested the fob battery and it's at 2.37 VDC, so I can't imagine the battery is the problem.

I guess I'm going to have to look at finding a TSM, and replacing the security module and telling the potential buyer if he wants the alarm, he'll have to go to a dealer. I've been trying to sell this bike for over a year, and now that I have a potential taker, I can't start it because of this stupid alarm.

My Road King has the push button alarm, which I'm much more comfortable with. I always figured this hands-free proximity thing was going to be bad news.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Bspike1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it sounds like your alarm went in to storage mode. The only way to get it out is to enter the PIN. Turn the key to ACC not IGN and follow what YET ERP wrote earlier

Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 PM
wdatkinson
Advanced

Turning the key to ACC as opposed to IGN does absolutely nothing. I tried it with the run/stop switch in both positions.

I was able to get it into the mode to accept the PIN, but I don't know what it is. I don't remember setting one when the bike was new. Is there a dealer default they sometimes use? I did try all 1's and I think all 0's.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:21 AM
Bspike1
Road Captain

I will look in the morning when I get home. I believe the book says you can reset the pin at anytime by following the instructions. I just had a similar issue with mine.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:24 AM
Bspike1
Road Captain

I found this thread on XLForum. Guy had the same problem as you. Turned out to be the battery in the key fob.http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=747089

Old 03-11-2010, 09:58 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same bike as you and I hate the anti theft system, but mine works good now. You need to reset the pin#, but I forget off hand how to do it. I have the pin wrote down for mine, but I need to keep it on me incase the fob get screwed while i'm out. Good luck on the sale

Old 03-11-2010, 04:38 PM
wdatkinson
Advanced

A new battery in the fob fixed it. So for those of you who use a VOM as part of your diagnostics, 2.37VDC is insufficient to allow the fobs to function.

My grandfather had a saying in his television shop where I grew up, "Always start your troubleshooting with the lease expensive component."

I have car remotes that work find down to 1.5VDC, so I ASSumed that the HD fob would be the same.

So the beast has roared back to life! Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. I am going to go out when its not raining and reset the pin and make a note of it.

Quick Reply: Security System