General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 08:06 AM
Steelie68
|
Tourer
Default Winter Storage

I have an insulated garage but no heat. Would a fan blowing on my bike prevent any condensation from forming on it over the winter/early spring? Thanks!

Old Yesterday | 09:10 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I do see condensation once in awhile. Sometimes opening door will do that. You can see that differant parts of the year. My attached garage is insulated and unheated. I heat it when I do stuff. That has not caused condensation that I have seen. It is more the spring. Maybe a fan would help. Not sure it is needed. Sometimes Ill turn heat on for a hour, but not sure if that does anything either

The following users liked this post:
Steelie68 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 09:28 AM
twoglides13
Road Captain

You can buy "air dryer" products to hang in your garage. They suck the moisture out of the air.

Old Yesterday | 09:31 AM
Seasoned HDF Member

The bikes are prep for winter hibernation and cover with a breathable motorcycle cover. I then place Damp Rid under the each covers.

Smiles (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 09:43 AM
Soundman5000
Tourer

At one point in my old bikes life, I lived in a coastal wet area and the storage building next to a swamp. I could walk out some mornings and the chrome would look like a bathroom mirror when showering! It was dew point thing.... I did have a door issue and found the door must be closed.

I forget exactly what I used but was some kind or rubber floor mat under the bike, This fixed 95% of the problem, I assume moisture was under the concrete floor or something or perhaps it helped the temp dew point thing hitting the chrome, whatever reason a moisture barrier under the bike helped me. So to this day I use those oil absorbing mats $15-$20 under my bike even now that my bikes live in a much dryer garage.

I assume your garage door closes properly OP? As long as I keep my doors closed I'm okay, I still live in a humid coastal area only 100 yards to the ocean but with the door closed and a mat under the bike I have no rust or foggy chrome issues anymore.

I'm guessing a rubber mat may help you too but you could always buy a Motorcycle capsule bubble cover....

Last edited by Soundman5000; Yesterday at 09:47 AM.
Old Yesterday | 09:46 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steelie68
I have an insulated garage but no heat. Would a fan blowing on my bike prevent any condensation from forming on it over the winter/early spring? Thanks!
this is what I do in the spring when temps are yo-yo-ing and everything is melting off. Its not perfect but it helps.

Steelie68 (Today)
Old Yesterday | 10:10 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Not a fan of covers. If you ever get a mouse in the garage, he will enjoy those covers and you will have no idea what is going on. In my barns i take seats off, open hoods, to expose as much as I can. I don't have mice in my garage. but doesn't mean someday I won't.

I wonder how much of that moisture stuff do you need for a garage. I have played with it with gun safes.

A guy could run a dehumidifier in the spring, I suppose. But I don't

Old Yesterday | 02:57 PM
Ghetto blaster
Road Master

I keep my bike in a storage shed with a small fan that runs 24/7, there will be occasions when you will get some condensation, but it's not going to hurt the bike, keeping it inside uncovered is your best option.

Old Yesterday | 03:18 PM
Soundman5000
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ghetto blaster
I keep my bike in a storage shed with a small fan that runs 24/7, there will be occasions when you will get some condensation, but it's not going to hurt the bike, keeping it inside uncovered is your best option.
I respectfully disagree about the condensation not hurting anything as my Harley brand added chrome was fine but I noticed aftermarket chrome parts, one specific example I remember was my Kuryakyn highway bar foot pegs, the chrome screws would get surface rust and the pegs pitted slightly. Again the Harley branded chrome held up well. Keep in mind this was perhaps 17 years ago when Harley chrome was perhaps better grade than now?

However my stock Harley forks didn't like the moisture, Thats the reason the fist thing I did on my new 23 street Glide was add chrome lower forks...
I still say you will be amazed what a thin oil drip mat from Walmart or Amazon just under the engine area or home / business entrance mat will do to help cut down the moisture. Perhaps moisture rises? all I know is a small vapor barrier fixed my foggy (bathroom mirror look ) chrome primary!

I also had a problem years ago when closing on my house as my Harley had to stay outside a month at moms condo parking lot. Trying to store a bike under a water proof motorcycle cover did not work at all as it just trapped moisture in my high humid area.

Old Yesterday | 07:12 PM
Addicted to Chaos
Tourer

I cover the bike with a breathable cover and put a desiccant pack under the bike which I replace once a month. I also run a dehumidifier, but only when I have melting snow off the car and truck. Bike sleeps happily and looks like new when the cover comes off in spring.

Quick Reply: Winter Storage