General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson Recalls 56,000 Bikes....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2024 | 12:46 PM
soldierbot
|
Supporter
Supporter
Default Harley-Davidson Recalls 56,000 Bikes....

"Harley-Davidson has recalled 56,415 motorcycles in the last 30 days due to serious safety concerns, including risks of front brake failure and short-circuiting in certain models.

These recalls come at a time when Harley-Davidson has faced intense continued scrutiny for its prioritization of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives, which has caused many customers to favor other motorcycle manufacturers.

“A lot of bikers are switching over to Indian. They killed Harley. It breaks my heart,” Vinny Terranova, the owner of Pappy’s Vintage Cycles, told Fox News in August.

The latest recall involves nearly 16,000 motorcycles, mainly the 2022 FXRST models and certain FXLRST models produced between 2022 and 2024. The issue leading to the recall is that front brake lines may unintentionally bend during assembly, which can result in them rubbing against the fuel tank, per a recent report from ADVrider.com

According to Harley-Davidson’s report to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the contact with the fuel tank could lead to a breach in the brake lines, resulting in a loss of brake fluid and an increased risk of crashes. However, the rear brakes can remain functional even with this defect, as reported by ADVRider. Owners of any of these models will receive notifications by mail and are advised to contact their authorized Harley-Davidson dealer for free service to fix the problem.

In a separate recall announced last month affecting over 41,000 motorcycles, Harley warned of a defective voltage regulator wire in certain models. This wire may rub against other engine components, leading to potential short circuits. These short circuit issues could result in a sudden loss of power while riding, significantly increasing the risk of a crash, according to USA Today.

The 2024 FLHX, FLHXSE, FLTRX, FLTRXSE, and FLTRXSTSE are included in the September recall. Harley-Davidson previously urged owners of these models to visit their local dealerships for a free inspection and repair, which will involve reinforcing the voltage regulator output wire harness with a secondary strap.

As reported by The Dallas Express, controversy arose earlier this year over Harley-Davidson when music video director and online activist Robby Starbuck exposed and condemned several of the company’s recent changes.

“@harleydavidson has been one of the most beloved brands in America but recently on CEO Jochen Zeitz’s watch, they’ve gone totally woke,” Starbuck posted on social media in July.

Starbuck alleged that the company’s internal policy proposals included requiring white men to undergo diversity training specifically for them, backing laws that permit transgender individuals to access restrooms and locker rooms matching their gender identity, and organizing an all-ages Pride event with activities like a rage room and drag queen story time for children.

In response to the criticism, Harley-Davidson announced that it would hit the brakes on many of its DEI initiatives."
etc.
https://dallasexpress.com/business-m...-dei-backlash/

And the hits keep coming—third-quarter numbers just dropped, showing shipments were cut by nearly 40% thanks to an inventory surplus. The full-year outlook is looking rough, with revenue expected to plunge as much as 16%. The stock reflects the news, as concerns over shrinking profit margins and weakening demand continue to grow.

Harley-Davidson Slashes Motorcycle Shipments as Sales Stall
https://archive.ph/hpTmW#selection-4003.0-4003.59

I really wish the MoCo could turn things around, but it feels like they’re getting slammed with one setback after another. It’s just sad to see.

Last edited by soldierbot; 10-24-2024 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2024 | 03:04 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!

I want to feel sorry for them, but the vast majority of their grief is self-inflicted. Quality issues, having to walk back their woke stance etc.

By the way, I checked for open recalls on my '95 Heritage. There were none.

The following users liked this post:
DeeRoe (10-24-2024)
Old 10-24-2024 | 03:14 PM
lowbar
Cruiser
Veteran: Air Force

The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Geesh, get over it. You're getting a free upgrade.

Uncle Larry (Yesterday)
Old 10-24-2024 | 05:55 PM
mstrobes
Road Master

“A lot of bikers are switching over to Indian." Stupid statement, Indian is just as if not more woke than Harley. There made in Minnesota that should tell you enough.

talkingrock (10-24-2024)
Old 10-24-2024 | 06:19 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dynamick
I want to feel sorry for them, but the vast majority of their grief is self-inflicted. Quality issues, having to walk back their woke stance etc.

By the way, I checked for open recalls on my '95 Heritage. There were none.
I agree on quality issues. But I bet indian is just as woke, but hasn't gotten caught.
Originally Posted by mstrobes
“A lot of bikers are switching over to Indian." Stupid statement, Indian is just as if not more woke than Harley. There made in Minnesota that should tell you enough.
It is probably woke, because all big companies are worried about law suits.

Old 10-24-2024 | 06:34 PM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior

I was in a dealership today, it’s been a few years.

The new touring bikes, to me, appear bloated and cluttered looking. The big screen TV looks like it belongs in a Tesla not on a motorcycle.

Maybe their slump is product related.

The following 3 users liked this post by GOGOBECK:
DeeRoe (10-24-2024), s-glide76 (Yesterday), Tommy C (10-24-2024)
Old 10-24-2024 | 06:39 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by soldierbot
And the hits keep coming—third-quarter numbers just dropped, showing shipments were cut by nearly 40% thanks to an inventory surplus. The full-year outlook is looking rough, with revenue expected to plunge as much as 16%. The stock reflects the news, as concerns over shrinking profit margins and weakening demand continue to grow.

I really wish the MoCo could turn things around, but it feels like they’re getting slammed with one setback after another. It’s just sad to see.
It is sad, but I think one of their biggest issues is the part I bolded. Excess inventory. Their bikes are too expensive and with interest rates and the prices of everything.... people do not have the disposable income even if they wanted to buy one. It ain't just HD... Watch some videos and read the news on the auto market/manufactures. They are all hurting...

soldierbot (10-24-2024)
Old 10-24-2024 | 06:42 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lowbar
The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Geesh, get over it. You're getting a free upgrade.
But the sky is falling (or whatever slang you want to use) in on HD and a lot of other companies. It's just fact... Nobody said they are going out of business.

s-glide76 (Yesterday)
Old 10-24-2024 | 07:45 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

That is a poorly written article.

Old 10-24-2024 | 07:47 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

In July, Japan’s Fair Trade Commission raided H-D’s Tokyo unit for allegedly forcing dealers to purchase and register motorcycles to meet the quotas, setting quotas that were difficult to achieve, threatening to not renew exclusive sales contracts with dealers who didn't meet their goals and pressuring dealers to buy unpopular models.

Then, in August, over 200 H-D dealers wrote a letter to H-D which, basically, echoed the same allegations, adding that H-D was using the profits they were robbing from dealers to make their bottom line look better than it actually was.

It turns out, that in both instances, the allegations appear to be true. If I’m a large investor in H-D, I think I start looking for others opportunities to invest my money other than in Harley-Davidson.

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 10-24-2024 at 07:54 PM.
soldierbot (10-24-2024)

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson Recalls 56,000 Bikes....