Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compensator Inspection

Search this Thread

Old Today | 07:29 AM
bcool
|
Intermediate
Default Compensator Inspection

Hello everyone,
2011 Electra Glide Ultra - 60,850 miles.
I have to replace the clutch discs and while I'm in there, how do I check the compensator for wear, or if it needs replacement? I'm not one to replace a perfectly good part, as I am retired and budget minded.
Thanks everyone. Go for a ride today!
Barron

Old Today | 08:27 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bcool

Hello everyone,
2011 Electra Glide Ultra - 60,850 miles.
I have to replace the clutch discs and while I'm in there, how do I check the compensator for wear, or if it needs replacement? I'm not one to replace a perfectly good part, as I am retired and budget minded.
Thanks everyone. Go for a ride today!
Barron
I take the comp & clutch basket off at the same time with the chain attached when removing either from the primary.

If you did the same, inspect the comp closely for wear. There is a part with ramps and the gear sprocket with spokes that the ramps ride on. Check that area for deep excessive wear. Look at the splines to make sure they have not been damaged at the ends.

The other part that wears are the springs. They will let you know if they are worn by the way the bike starts. If it was clanging, or banging at starts and stops, especially hot starts and stops, those springs are getting worn. If it started to rattle at idle as it gets mileage, that is another sign that the spring pack is getting worn.

If your comp is the OEM and not a replacement, and the sprocket, ramps, or splines show signs of damage or excessive wear, they are no longer made. You will need to upgrade to the newest version of that comp, which is also the best version. The replacement is called the "Screamin' Eagle Big Twin Comp". For your year, you need part #42200064A @ $339.95.

If your comp looks to have acceptable wear, but the spring pack is weak/worn, they do make a replacement spring pack to fit your comp. It is #83936-09A @ $105.05.

I know the budget is tight, but if you see anything that doesn't look good, at 60K miles, I would install the new comp while you are in there...

Good luck with your inspection and keep us posted...

Last edited by hattitude; Today at 08:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Germansheperd (Today)
Old Today | 08:46 AM
bcool
|
Intermediate

Thank you hattitude, for such a complete and intelligent answer. You are so kind, as to provide a knowledgeable solution, to help maintain my EG.
Exactly what I needed.
Thanks for all the help that you provide on this forum.
Barron Cooley, hence, the bcool

Old Today | 09:07 AM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member

Not sure these fit you original comp but they are an upgrade for the"Screamin' Eagle Big Twin Comp" , they also just released a billet ramp for Twin cam models .

https://www.getlowered.com/evolution...IaAipVEALw_wcB

Old Today | 09:21 AM
bcool
|
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply Stopit. I bought the bike used earlier this year, so I don't really know if it is original. I've put about 11,000 miles on it and have done all the required maintenance on schedule and it seems to be well maintained and trouble free. The reason I am replacing the clutch discs is, if I accelerate to full throttle in sixth gear over 70 mph I can detect the rpm rise about 400 above what it should be and when I let off the rpm catches up.
I just yesterday confirmed the issue and ordered discs but haven't taken the primary cover off yet.
I have ridden for 58 years and done all my maintenance including my son's 7-year motocross adventures, so I just want to keep the EG in top shape.
Sorry to ramble, but I would believe the compensator is original, so thanks for the help.

The following users liked this post:
Stopit (Today)