Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

M8 smoke on decel

Search this Thread

Old Today | 05:13 PM
marcodarq
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default M8 smoke on decel

M8 smokes on Deceleration, just like the title. On the dyno wound up to 6k rpm, release throttle and let the engine wind down on it own, no brake. Starts to blow white-ish smoke out of the left muffler(more than the right). I suspected a sumping issue, so i replaced the oil pump o ring, but that didnt fix it. 22 fltr, 131 stage 4 engine with wood 77X cam, fullsac header and Rinehart mufflers. BEFORE i replaced the o ring, i drained 8.5 oz of oil from the case, but i still wasnt sold. Any ideas? Everything else looks in order. Bike came in to be tuned, dyno.,And its still not making what i think it should for power.
any ideas,
thanks.
m

Old Today | 05:31 PM
jbarr1
Road Master

Damaged intake valve seal?

Old Today | 07:03 PM
davekp
Road Captain

This is a 2 wheeler, right?

Old Today | 07:35 PM
marcodarq
|
Stellar HDF Member

Yes, its a 2 wheeler,,Road Glide. Bike only has 5500 miles on it and atcleast 150 of that on my dyno. Another shop installed the Wood cam, sold the customer an OG Power Vision and sent him down the road telling him to run auto-tune sessions.
. He brought it to me and it had a bad miss the developed at 3200 rpm on medium to hard throttle application. Previously a dealer had installed the 131 Stage 4 kit. When i got it it had the miss and only was making 100 hp.
A Shoutout to Jaime @ Fuel Moto for his assistance with his exhaust inserts that they developed for mufflers like the Rineharts, they do work if you know how to tune on the dyno. Ive got decent curves and 149 tq but only like 131 hp and the smoke on decel,,,,,,i dont think that it was doing it when i started working with the bike,,,,,long story but i swapped cams back and forth with the HD kit cam, just to go back to scratch. Now smoke and down on power. I dont know about an intake seal, when i replaced the pump oring today, there was lits of oil in the intake manifold and more than normal in the cam chest,,,,,thats what led me to the idea that it was sumping. Now I'm thinking it may be ring issue,,,,,just looking for anyvideas thatvi can actually prove, thanks guys. Also nothing definitive from looking at the plugs. I also had to run this one richer than anything ive ever done before to get it to work......like in the low 12s to high 11s for afr's.
m

Last edited by marcodarq; Today at 07:38 PM.