Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Wiring question. 78 1/2 FXS Rats Nest

Search this Thread

Old Today | 11:59 AM
Marnat3
|
Novice
Default Wiring question. 78 1/2 FXS Rats Nest

So the main harness is a rats nest. I considered rewiring to stock but just want it to be a rider not a restoration.
The handlebar wires seem intact as do the tail light wires.
Ive looked at replacement main harnesses but not sure what they cover, (ignition, starting, etc). Descriptions are vague at best.
Ive blown up the diagram from the Harley manual, but go cross eyed when it comes to the chopped up harness i have. Damn meth head wiring job.
I would like the bar buttons to work but not a complete necessity. Momentary switch would be OK.
Is it easier to do a chopper wire job or just hope the main harness connects to everything?
1 more question, Does this low rider need a starter relay? It does not look like there ever was one. Bottom of battery box is clean of any mounting marks. Thanks in advance..

Old Today | 12:38 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Marnat3
So the main harness is a rats nest. I considered rewiring to stock but just want it to be a rider not a restoration.
The handlebar wires seem intact as do the tail light wires.
Ive looked at replacement main harnesses but not sure what they cover, (ignition, starting, etc). Descriptions are vague at best.
Ive blown up the diagram from the Harley manual, but go cross eyed when it comes to the chopped up harness i have. Damn meth head wiring job.
I would like the bar buttons to work but not a complete necessity. Momentary switch would be OK.
Is it easier to do a chopper wire job or just hope the main harness connects to everything?
1 more question, Does this low rider need a starter relay? It does not look like there ever was one. Bottom of battery box is clean of any mounting marks. Thanks in advance..
Two things.. Yes you Neire by the Service Manual...stick to the color code.
It is Not difficult...If (bied a Starter relay...Not the Ford one either...the Bosch..
that little button on yer handlebar cannot take even the current required to bring in a Ford Relay,,,stick with the bosch..
Wire by color code in the H-D Manual!!
Much easier if you break the system down..Starter, then Ignition, then Lights, then all the Stuff from the orange wire/Accessory Breaker..like Horn, signals, even brake light..keep to one system at a time...easy stuff
Edit; BTW I rode one Sidecar bike all summer with No Starter Button/relay/even the wiring...not there...I start with a Neat old Coin my brother gave me!!!!

Last edited by Racepres; Today at 12:39 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Racepres:
magnum45pete (Today), Marnat3 (Today), Oko (Today)
Old Today | 12:38 PM
KK0G
Tourer

One of my biggest pet peeves is shitty hacked up wiring, it continually causes gremlins that are a pain in the *** to track down because of the very nature of being a rats nest. Personally I'd strip it down to nothing and start from scratch but then I do that for a living so I'm biased. I don't have any direct experience with that bike as to whether or not it had or needs a starter relay. It really depends on how much current the starter solenoid draws, what wire gauge will run to the starter switch, and how much current the switch can handle. If you want small wires and a small switch it would likely need to run through a relay, like I said it kind of depends.

The following 2 users liked this post by KK0G:
Architect (Today), Marnat3 (Today)
Old Today | 12:42 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

I agree, my Flathead when I brought her home was a mess of original 1946 wires and a previous Owner's "better idea" of wiring. Always had issues until I spent the cash on a new reproduction harness and wired it myself. Took some time as she is converted to 12V which changes some of the wire landing points specifically on the generator. But time and patience and everything works as designed by HD. Take you time and do it right, no reason to add to the mess. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Marnat3 (Today)
Old Today | 01:22 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member

The main harness I got for my 82 FXR hooked up perfectly to the stock rear and headlight harnesses. I think it was from V-Twin, and it was made in the USA. So if the connectors for the front and rear harnesses aren't butchered, you should be good with just the main harness.

Yes, you need a start relay, use the later Bosch one instead of the stock Ford one.

The following users liked this post:
Marnat3 (Today)
Old Today | 03:55 PM
Marnat3
|
Novice

any idea as to the part # on the Bosch relay?
Or ford years it matched up to?