Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Clutch Adjustments & Aftermarket Parts

Search this Thread

Old Today | 03:32 PM
HellaGNARLY
|
Cruiser
Default Clutch Adjustments & Aftermarket Parts

I'm running a 4 speed cowpie. Other than dialing in the spacing from the release arm in relation to the top of the cow pie, are there other measurements I need to look out for? I know the manual tells you to have a certain measure from the top spring retainer plate to the pressure plate but the problem is I'm running an aftermarket diaphragm clutch.

The aftermarket manufacturer gives me a measurement to adjust my plate nuts to. That spec doesn't seem to keep enough tension to kick it over. The spec is .40" from end of hub stud to top of adjustment nut. With that measurement, the kick action just slips. I've been playing around with different adjustments and I can get it feeling better but I can't quite work out the slip completely. It's rideable right now but the clutch slips going from a stop to start. If I don't baby the clutch lever, it stalls and the slipping is very loud. It's only from stop to start in 1st.

Open belt, dry clutch. I just replaced all of the friction disks. Is there something else I should look at? Everything I hear about the diaphragm setup has been great, so I don't think it's a bad part.

*The picture is for reference of what the setup looks like. It's from a while ago before I had linkage and got it adjusted - so yes, I know it's way out of adjustment in this picture*

Last edited by HellaGNARLY; Today at 03:33 PM.
Old Today | 05:19 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Skip the book adjustments, they'll just confuse you, this deep into aftermarket goods & custom goodies book useless. Most spring plate clutches need to be setup where the springs almost flat, usually no more than .010"arch at most on the edges when you straight edge across it. This is a general starting point, you fine tweak depending on your setup. These clutches also do not like a mousetrap for the throw out, too much movement, foot clutch could be the same issue. The spring plate hits a trip point with too much movement where you can feel it click over convex the wrong way. How many and what type plates you running ? With the aluminum basket, I run an extra steel in first so the basket face doesn't get ate, try that and the instruction's setup procedure. Still slipping,1/2 turn down on the nuts and repeat till it hooks up solid or the spring plate flattens out too much. I love the diagram clutch in my shovel, the several I,ve done for others swear by them. It's always a dance. Pic really does show it but spring isn't flat, got just a hair of arch to it. 6 plate kevlar and 93" it'll smoke the tire till I quit.