General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been 15 years but I went DOWN

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 11:09 PM
TSheff
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Been 15 years but I went DOWN

Headed to a funeral Saturday, beautiful day, light traffic, and whoosh. I exited the highway slowed to go over some railroad track, entered a RH curve I've travelled hundreds of times, about 20 - 25mph and the *** end decided to come around up front. I hadn't begun to roll on the throttle yet. Didn't make a complete 360* but the front end was almost pointing the right direction.
Engine guard, highway peg, floorboard support, rear bag guard, and my pipes all paid the price, but I literally came out with just 2 scratches. Sole of my steel toe boot slightly scraoed and my ankle was tweeked a little, but that's it. My jeans weren't scuffed or torn and I was wearing a short sleeve shirt. I seriously just felt the *** end break loose and started to slide around. Couple of guys stopped to help me get her up and I went on down the road.
I don't know how, instinct from my old racing days or just luck, but I kept my leg tucked and my hip never hit the cement.
Returning home I stopped to look over the area. I saw the circle scratches and that's it. couldn't see any oil, slick spots, or gravel. All I can figure is it's slightly of camber, there are a couple of slab cracks with 1" or so drop, 8" wide white stripes, or perhaps it was dust and it all blew away. I just know I came out with just a sore ankle. Not the first time I've gone down, just the first time the bike was hurt more than me. Good thing because I'm sure my old bones won't heal as well as they once did.

The following 17 users liked this post by TSheff:
07UltraGuy (Today), 2K10FBLO (Today), 470004 (Today), B.K. (Today), brakeless (Today), Cap77 (Today), Cosmic Razorback (Today), KK0G (Today), MikeBel (Today), Mongo1958 (Today), nomoreyellowfootprints (Today), pgreer (Today), Rocking_it (Today), Schex (Today), Tjroadie (Today), TwiZted Biker (Today) and 11 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Today | 12:06 AM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TSheff
Headed to a funeral Saturday, beautiful day, light traffic, and whoosh. I exited the highway slowed to go over some railroad track, entered a RH curve I've travelled hundreds of times, about 20 - 25mph and the *** end decided to come around up front. I hadn't begun to roll on the throttle yet. Didn't make a complete 360* but the front end was almost pointing the right direction.
Engine guard, highway peg, floorboard support, rear bag guard, and my pipes all paid the price, but I literally came out with just 2 scratches. Sole of my steel toe boot slightly scraoed and my ankle was tweeked a little, but that's it. My jeans weren't scuffed or torn and I was wearing a short sleeve shirt. I seriously just felt the *** end break loose and started to slide around. Couple of guys stopped to help me get her up and I went on down the road.
I don't know how, instinct from my old racing days or just luck, but I kept my leg tucked and my hip never hit the cement.
Returning home I stopped to look over the area. I saw the circle scratches and that's it. couldn't see any oil, slick spots, or gravel. All I can figure is it's slightly of camber, there are a couple of slab cracks with 1" or so drop, 8" wide white stripes, or perhaps it was dust and it all blew away. I just know I came out with just a sore ankle. Not the first time I've gone down, just the first time the bike was hurt more than me. Good thing because I'm sure my old bones won't heal as well as they once did.
You got very lucky. Usually falls end up pretty bad at any speed. Sounds like you slid and didn't go high side though. Another luck out. Just goes to prove it can happen anytime.

The following 2 users liked this post by brakeless:
07UltraGuy (Today), TSheff (Today)
Old Today | 12:24 AM
mskirwin
Club Member

Glad you’re ok, bike can be fixed us old guys not so much.

The following 2 users liked this post by mskirwin:
MRFREEZE57 (Today), TSheff (Today)
Old Today | 05:44 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Glad your OK. Probably a similar thing happened to my Son's wife. Four of us were visiting Gwen's Island. I was in the lead doing the speed limit.

It slowed to 25 MPH with a yellow warning sign at that 90 degree turn. That side road to the right is dirt. Three of us made the turn.

Son's wife was the fourth and her back tire came around. Her leg caved the tank.

I heard it. Did a U-turn and cars behind her had already blocked the rural road.

I pulled up on the wrong side leaving the other side open.

Dust from that side road and a cemetery dirt road there near the edge of our lane was like trying to stand on ice as I stop and put my left foot down to drop the stand.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; Today at 05:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TSheff (Today)
Old Today | 07:29 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Glad you are okay.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
TSheff (Today)
Old Today | 08:04 AM
TSheff
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks and NO I didn't high-side, been there done that. Tires never got traction to do the flip over, just a simple washout and slides around.
It was just so strange. I've slid out, endoed, and highsided in MX, flipped doing wheelies, but this was just a leisurely ride, nothing stupid. YES it can happen to any of us at any time.

Old Today | 08:43 AM
Seasoned HDF Member

Happy to hear you came out with only minor injuries.

TSheff (Today)
Old Today | 08:54 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member

Glad it wasn't worse. 10 years ago...
My back wheel slid out when I swerved hard to avoid a collision happening in front of me. The first part went OK (never touched anybody), but it slipped when I straightened back up. Dropped my FL Shovel on my left leg, enough to make my shin bones stick out. Oddly enough, I didn't scuff, or tear my pants, or even scratch the bike, because my leg took it all.
Yeah, that sucked for about 5 months.

Old Today | 09:56 AM
scott_0
Stellar HDF Member

you're able to post your story, that's really all that matters, glad you're ok

The following 2 users liked this post by scott_0:
MRFREEZE57 (Today), TSheff (Today)
Old Today | 10:25 AM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Seeing the roadway up close like that is never a good thing, but it sounds like you were lucky enough to ride away.
Let this be the whole lesson you had to relearn... don't take any day for granted.

And get that ankle checked out; don't be a hero.

TSheff (Today)

Quick Reply: Been 15 years but I went DOWN