Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

2007 road glide cranks and doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old Today | 11:16 AM
The Dyson
|
6th Gear
Default 2007 road glide cranks and doesn't start

What's up guys. Would really like some help if anyone has input because I'm at a loss right now. I just picked up a 2007 road glide and I'm having issues getting it started.

The bike ran a couple days ago before disconnecting fairing.
I put fairing back on and plugged in and only one of the head lights work so I definitely misplaced a wire for the headlights. I have pictures down below of the yellow and white wires and there's several connections I can hook it up to, but not sure where.

Full system is all good, no leaks, getting spark and it's showing different codes. Sometimes it says P10118 which I have a temp sensor on the way. Sometimes it says no RSP, and last night it was throwing the u1016 code. Reset ECM and even unplugged and plugged back in. That got me where I am now and it won't ignite, but the ECM code is gone. I had bike hooked up to trickle charger over night with a brand new battery and it still shows not fully charged. Maybe a short?

If anyone has info, wire knowledge, any help would be greatly appreciated. Would even pay a fee if someone knowledgeable wants to get on facetime or something and is willing to try to help.

These are where the headlight small prongs should plug in, but not sure which goes where.

Wire with a tube inside was connected to the positive wire of the USB charger with tape and the positive wire from USB had a circular battery eyelet terminal. Strange..

Old Today | 12:32 PM
KK0G
Tourer

Not sure where to even start but here goes. If it ran before and doesn't now it's practically guaranteed the problem is something you introduced in the process of removing/installing the fairing. My guess is you didn't take any photos, or notes, or label anything before disassembly so you're going to have to try to remember as best you can how it all came apart. The problem is compounded by the fact that someone has been in there before hacking on the wiring, and don't take this the wrong way but from your post it appears you have very little experience with wiring/electrical systems (all the more reason photos and labeling wires before disassembly is a really smart idea). My best advice is to find someone with some electrical knowledge and wiring experience who can help you out.

Old Today | 12:55 PM
The Dyson
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by KK0G
Not sure where to even start but here goes. If it ran before and doesn't now it's practically guaranteed the problem is something you introduced in the process of removing/installing the fairing. My guess is you didn't take any photos, or notes, or label anything before disassembly so you're going to have to try to remember as best you can how it all came apart. The problem is compounded by the fact that someone has been in there before hacking on the wiring, and don't take this the wrong way but from your post it appears you have very little experience with wiring/electrical systems (all the more reason photos and labeling wires before disassembly is a really smart idea). My best advice is to find someone with some electrical knowledge and wiring experience who can help you out.
​​Appreciate the input, but looking for help before I aquire outside services. I've restored multiple projects including old cars and boats so it's not quite fair to say I have little experience in wiring. I have no experience wiring Harley's fairings and that i stand by sure. Have never taken my bikes, cars or boats to a mechanic for anything other than tires.

This forum is for helping people so they can try to avoid taking it somewhere. The fairing fell off because of the way the previous owner had it set up so I couldn't take pictures. I had my phone ready to go and then the fairing dropped. My fairing wiring issues are related to the headlights. So I was expecting a response of that yellow wire goes here and or someone saying hey, those wires are connected to your ignition in which if you can figure out, the bike might start. Or a hey, the wires to the headlights don't matter for starting the engine. Just looking for some guidance since there's gotta be people here that know about the fairing wiring or willing to try to help because that's the community.

If anyone else is reading this and might have any info to share, would be extremely grateful and would compensate for a phone call if someone knows a thing or two other than telling me to take it somewhere.
I can read a schematic decently, but I've had a hard time finding one that matches.

Old Today | 01:05 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Pull the codes . That may point you to the cause. Check all fuses.

Old Today | 01:13 PM
KK0G
Tourer

My apologies if you have more wiring experience than I was inferring from your post. My comment wasn't meant as an insult just trying to help as it appeared to me that you were in over your head.
No, the head light doesn't need to be operational for the bike to run. If you can read a schematic then that's definitely what you should do. Here's a link to the Harley Davidson Service Portal, you can access the schematics and any other service information there for a minimal cost.

Old Today | 01:36 PM
The Dyson
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by smitty901
Pull the codes . That may point you to the cause. Check all fuses.
Thank you! The only code I get is P0118 and I replaced all the fuses this morning.

Old Today | 01:53 PM
The Dyson
|
6th Gear

Hm

Last edited by The Dyson; Today at 02:00 PM.
Old Today | 01:58 PM
The Dyson
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by KK0G
My apologies if you have more wiring experience than I was inferring from your post. My comment wasn't meant as an insult just trying to help as it appeared to me that you were in over your head.
No, the head light doesn't need to be operational for the bike to run. If you can read a schematic then that's definitely what you should do. Here's a link to the Harley Davidson Service Portal, you can access the schematics and any other service information there for a minimal cost.
I appreciate it. And I didn't mean to come off as a dick, I'm just trying to genuinely ask questions and I'm used to keyboard warriors. Which is why I'm not on social media! Hahaha. I just got this bike and have had a heritage for almost 5 years so this specific wiring is unfamiliar. And thank you for the head lights answer. That rules out a lot other than possibly a wire disconnecting itself during the drop. The guy had it set up as like a show bike with big rims, air suspension and let it sit in a storage unit for a while. It was leaking gas and after removing the fairing and installing the check valve, went thru entire fuel assembly because I know those hoses like to pinch or crack so I ruled out everything so far except electrical. When it was running, it would try to shut off once it was in gear and letting off the clutch. Like it would shutter/misfire. So that's when I went thru fuel system and got everything good. pressure builds up in hose so fuel is flowing. I have a pressure regulator coming in mail so I'll put that in today even thou that's probably not the issue. I just ordered it before so might as well.
I knew this bike had some issues, but it ran when I got it, but ran like ****. Tightened up the exhaust immediately and it would idle good, but would shutter on take off. So that's when the games began. Haha. And I figured that the headlight connections weren't an issue, but start with the simple things. Feels really good when you have a "ain't no gas in it type of situation" so wanted to get that out the way. Haha.
Only code it shows is P0118 and yesterday it threw u1016, but that's gone after resetting ECM. Just the P0118 code is there and I have a new temp sensor coming in mail tomorrow.

It's also weird thou that I literally just sprayed a bit of gas in the throttle body and it started right up. It died immediately, but yeah. There's spark.
Before all of this directly after doing the check valve it would start and run for a couple seconds and shut off.
Also the brand new battery that comes pre charged I installed yesterday isn't wanting to fully charge while connected to the bike thru the night and the trickle charger is good. So it gets weirder and weirder like there's a major ground short and I've been thru everything. No blown fuses and they all seem to get power with a multimeter.