Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! New Harley owner and looking to add sound.

Search this Thread

Old Today | 02:34 PM
Sleaze.Moto
|
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! New Harley owner and looking to add sound.

Hello.

I recently came over to the dark side after being on a Honda for 10yrs.

I got a 2021 Electra Glide Standard and wanting to add a sound system.

Only thing I've purchased so far is an amp, an amp mounting plate, and lower fairing pods.

AMP: Stinger Marine & Power Sports Micro 5-channel 1000w AMP

For speakers, I am looking at getting 6 of these:

Speakers: DS18 NXL 6.5" 2-way Coaxial Marine Speaker with LED RGB lights 100w RMS 4-Ohm

What I need help with is the following:

- Opinions on what I've bought so far?

- A good double din headunit that is waterproof or water resistent. I live in Oregon and I ride year-round. On my last bike I had a single DIN Sony MEX100BT, which was awesome, and did great in the rain. However, I don't have a use for the CD player function, and would like touch screen. Any recommendations?

- I am also planning on running a SUB in one of the saddlebags and an underglow pod kit, will this set up work or do I need to upgrade anything like the regulator and/or stator and/or battery?

any other advice would be greatly appreciated and received!

PS- I am not on a super tight budget for the components, but looking to install myself.

THANK YOU!

Old Today | 03:09 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 550 Likes on 446 Posts

I'll start. Scratch every idea listed, sorry.
I have to admit, I don't know much about the Standards and how their wiring is for head unit and thumb controls.

1) Not sure where you are putting that amp because it's huge. It's not very powerful. Much better options out there to run 4 speakers.
2) Those DS18's are boat and UTV speakers, not made for motorcycles. And DS18's are meh at best for sound quality
3) No no no to sub, especially in 1 bag. Putting a "subwoofer" in a motorcycle is nothing like putting a sub in anything else. To put a actual subwoofer (most motorcycles us mid-bass speakers), you need fiberglass bags, sealed, ported, braced, shallow enough sub to fit, at least a 3K amp and lithium battery, DSP and a lot of work.
4) No sure about radios. I don't know if the waterproof Diamond and Sound Stream HU will plug right into your bike.

I would suggest running 6 speakers and 1 amp: fairing, lowers, 6x9 in lids. A few different brands to choose from. Put on some real lower fairing enclosure's with speaker pods in them, not wakeboard tower speakers. PLEASE

Last edited by cshocker; Today at 03:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cshocker:
30glock (Today), Sleaze.Moto (Today)
Old Today | 03:37 PM
AkaReaper
Cruiser
Veteran: Army
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Ummmm, ya, not a fan of that proposed set up. Heard several DS18 speakers this past week end and would not recommend. Are the items you already bought returnable? If so, you'll get some good advice here, if not, nothing I could suggest. Besides DIY, what purchasing budhet do you have? Plenty of shops with ready to install, prewired kits for ya.

Old Today | 03:48 PM
Sleaze.Moto
|
Stage III

Originally Posted by cshocker
I'll start. Scratch every idea listed, sorry.
I have to admit, I don't know much about the Standards and how their wiring is for head unit and thumb controls.

1) Not sure where you are putting that amp because it's huge. It's not very powerful. Much better options out there to run 4 speakers.
I was planning on putting it in the fairing. It's dimensions are
11.85” L x 5.11” W x 1.6” H

I'm open to other recommendations.

2) Those DS18's are boat and UTV speakers, not made for motorcycles. And DS18's are meh at best for sound quality
Again, I'm open to suggestions. I used to have Polk Audio DB522's on previous bike.

3) No no no to sub, especially in 1 bag. Putting a "subwoofer" in a motorcycle is nothing like putting a sub in anything else. To put a actual subwoofer (most motorcycles us mid-bass speakers), you need fiberglass bags, sealed, ported, braced, shallow enough sub to fit, at least a 3K amp and lithium battery, DSP and a lot of work.
oh. Ok. Thank you!

4) No sure about radios. I don't know if the waterproof Diamond and Sound Stream HU will plug right into your bike.

I would suggest running 6 speakers and 1 amp: fairing, lowers, 6x9 in lids. A few different brands to choose from. Put on some real lower fairing enclosure's with speaker pods in them, not wakeboard tower speakers. PLEASE
Yeah, I was planning doing 6 speakers. My lower fairings are the actual lower fairing with the space in them for speakers.

If you have recommendations, I'm all ears!

Thank you for your reply!

Old Today | 04:08 PM
Sleaze.Moto
|
Stage III

Originally Posted by AkaReaper
Ummmm, ya, not a fan of that proposed set up. Heard several DS18 speakers this past week end and would not recommend.

Noted. That's lame. I saw they were decent power and had RGB. I may have to go without speakers that have lighting. Unless you can recommend anything.

Are the items you already bought returnable?
Only thing I bought is the AMP and AMP plate, regarding audio components.

If so, you'll get some good advice here, if not, nothing I could suggest. Besides DIY, what purchasing budhet do you have? Plenty of shops with ready to install, prewired kits for ya.
I'm hoping to keep the cost of components below $1500.

My main focus is having at least 6 speakers, bluetooth connectivity, touch screen, and be able to withstand oregon rain. Also, be louder than my last bike. (4 Polk Audio DB522's on a Sony MEX100BT head unit with built in amp.