Knuckle Head A place to talk about Knuckle Head motors.

Value of this 1947 Knucklehead?

Search this Thread

Old Today, 01:04 PM
armyofme
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of this 1947 Knucklehead?

Hey! Trying to get a sense of the value of my uncle's 1947 Knucklehead. He was very slowly restoring it but never got it finished before he passed away. It's titled but I'm not with it at the moment so can't check if the numbers match. Can anyone help with a ballpark range for selling this? Thank you in advance! It's in Kansas City, Missouri, FYI.

Old Today, 02:19 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,871 Likes on 3,030 Posts

The re construct sticker makes it iffy in value the title info may show it’s titled as a re construct and that takes value away if you have the 1945 46 or 47 title then it has real value

BUT it does not have the right carb and manifold the frame has a re pop look to it and all the chrome is v twin china parts

you will be selling a motor and title still has value

The following users liked this post:
pgreer (Today)
Old Today, 02:32 PM
armyofme
2nd Gear

Thanks. It is not titled as a re-construct. I don't have the 1947 title, he bought it in 1989 and I had that title but I had to turn that in to get the title in my name when he passed away and did the Transfer On Death so I can sell it.

Do you have any sense of what I can sell this for? Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
The re construct sticker makes it iffy in value the title info may show it’s titled as a re construct and that takes value away if you have the 1945 46 or 47 title then it has real value

BUT it does not have the right carb and manifold the frame has a re pop look to it and all the chrome is v twin china parts

you will be selling a motor and title still has value

Old Today, 02:40 PM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,653 Likes on 1,060 Posts

It has some value, but lots of iffy things going on there. At the very least, I'd like to see the VIN pad on the left engine case.

The neck is all covered up, so the question is has it been modofied? Is it even correct for a 47 Knuckle?

Paul

Old Today, 03:01 PM
armyofme
2nd Gear

Ok, I'm 2 states away from it at the moment but I can take a photo of the VIN pad when I fly back to KC.

To your other questions, I honestly have no idea, it was my uncle's project. He worked at Harley for 12 years until they closed the plant and he was the kind of person who would definitely want it to be "correct for a 47 Knuckle" but I didn't have the chance to ask him about all the finer details on it before he passed away.

If you have any sense of a ballpark on it like it is, I'd sure appreciate it!

Old Today, 03:03 PM
armyofme
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by pgreer
It has some value, but lots of iffy things going on there. At the very least, I'd like to see the VIN pad on the left engine case.

The neck is all covered up, so the question is has it been modofied? Is it even correct for a 47 Knuckle?

Paul
Ok, I'm 2 states away from it at the moment but I can take a photo of the VIN pad when I fly back to KC.

To your other questions, I honestly have no idea, it was my uncle's project. He worked at Harley for 12 years until they closed the plant and he was the kind of person who would definitely want it to be "correct for a 47 Knuckle" but I didn't have the chance to ask him about all the finer details on it before he passed away.

If you have any sense of a ballpark on it like it is, I'd sure appreciate it!

Old Today, 03:16 PM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,653 Likes on 1,060 Posts

If you post the VIN pad, blur out the last 3-4 numbers before the last one. And if you can get pictures of the belly numbers on the bottom each half that is also important as they need to match and agree with the VIN.

Look carefully at tab on the frame where the engine mount bolts on, there should be marking on it. Same with the cast parts on the frame including where the rear wheel mounts. Since it's been painted, they may be visible or not but could help identify the frame..

Do you have any history on the enigne and trans. Are there more parts or only what was shown? How long have they been sitting?

Paul

Old Today, 03:26 PM
armyofme
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by pgreer
If you post the VIN pad, blur out the last 3-4 numbers before the last one. And if you can get pictures of the belly numbers on the bottom each half that is also important as they need to match and agree with the VIN.

Look carefully at tab on the frame where the engine mount bolts on, there should be marking on it. Same with the cast parts on the frame including where the rear wheel mounts. Since it's been painted, they may be visible or not but could help identify the frame..

Do you have any history on the enigne and trans. Are there more parts or only what was shown? How long have they been sitting?

Paul
Ok, I won't be back for a few weeks but I'll snap those photos then. I don't know anything about the engine or transmission and I would guess it has been sitting like that with mild tinkering since 2020. We did locate a few more parts but I didn't get a photo of them and am not even exactly sure what to call them. If it's not obvious, this is way outside my wheelhouse, I'm just trying to do right by my uncle who would want this to go to an enthusiast.

It may end up that if I can't get an idea of what it's worth without photos, I'll just need let it go to auction if his house sells and it has to go quick.

Thanks for the advice and some education, appreciate it.

Old Today, 03:48 PM
touchdown
Supporter
Veteran: Army
Received 1,795 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I would list at 10K to 15K

Old Today, 03:53 PM
armyofme
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by touchdown
I would list at 10K to 15K
Thanks. I did see this post https://www.hdforums.com/forum/knuck...-it-worth.html before I jumped in here to ask and I thought my uncle's might be in a bit better shape than that!

Thanks for your suggestion - I might just take a stab at posting it on the Marketplace here.