Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2024 | 06:36 AM
blumi
|
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Battery/ Charging system issues an solution

Aloha,
In the past I always have the problem, if the bike wasn't used for few days the battery was low and no power to start.
First I checked for residual-current and assumed it's from the radio.
So I removed the fuse for the radio and measure again.
But the residual-current was still ongoing.
There after I removed the regulator and the residual-current was zero.
When I hold it on place, the residual-current was up to 0.6 mA.
So I decided to change the regulator.
While changing I figured out, the cable to the circuit breaker was scratched and have connection to the frame.
With the new regulator and an better battery with 410A (EN) the bike can stays 2 weeks and starts easily. 😁😁😁

The following 5 users liked this post by blumi:
08xl1200r (10-06-2024), al_ferguson01 (Yesterday), flhchaz (10-06-2024), Max Headflow (Yesterday), Spanners39 (10-06-2024)
Old Today | 06:45 AM
Dano523
HDF Community Team
Received 573 Likes on 401 Posts

Sali, and did you replace the voltage regulator with another unit, or just use heat shrink or another shielding material to fix the wire shield that was causing the grounding problem to the frame? I ask, since some of the cheap import knock off voltage regulators are hit/ miss, with either not putting out power when they **** way too soon, or end up putting out way over voltage on the DC side to boil battery isntead.

As for battery replacement, maybe,
Since on year 5 of my Duralast AGM, that just had to pull the fill caps about year 2, to fill the battery up to top of glass matt's with distilled water, since was not filled up correctly to begin with from the start (was starting to get dry cell problems at the 2 year mark). Also, only put the battery on the tender maybe twice a year to desulfate it, since evo should not be drawing power with igntion off, and leaving the battery on a some tenders just causes them to go south way too soon as well.

Note, do not fill an agm battery higher than the top of matts to replenish the distilled water in it. Hence not like a lead acid battery where you fill it up to bottom of fill slotted ports isntead. So at most, maybe 1/16" of water above the top of matt cells, which the matts will absorb to pull the water back into the matts. The agm and wet cell batteries work the same with a mix of acid and distilled water, but the AGM wants to have all the mixed contained in the matts once the battery has desulfated, so fluid mix in cells will not splash.

So when replenishing an agm with distilled water to solve dry cell (distilled water it has evaporated out of the cells or not mix filled enough to start to complete saturate the matts), use a syringe to go slowly with adding distilled water to each cell, and stop as soon at the water level just comes up to top of the matt in that cell.

Last edited by Dano523; Today at 06:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
blumi (Today)
Old Today | 11:10 AM
blumi
|
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Hello Dano,

I used the new Compu-Fire OEM # 55120.
I also use the optimate battery charger with desulfating bfunction.
But I guess the former battery was cheap scrap too.
Thanks for the explanation about the battery.

Old Today | 11:20 AM
08xl1200r
Road Captain
Received 388 Likes on 243 Posts

FWIW my Evo came with an aftermarket AGM battery that got weak so I tried the repair function on my charger and much to my surprise it worked, twice...however the improvement only lasted about 2 weeks each time.
After repair my battery tester showed a doubling in state of health and CCA and the numbers were like a brand new battery. Anyway eventually bought a new AGM battery from HD and all is well, I buy from them as I've had better luck with the terminal connections staying tight.