Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay Boom GTS with an iPhone 16 (USB-C)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2024 | 10:47 PM
hairymoth
|
Road Warrior
Default CarPlay Boom GTS with an iPhone 16 (USB-C)

Has anyone tried the new iPhone 16, with the USB-V cable with the Boom GTS and Apple CarPlay?

My 2023 Road Glide Ultra has a Boom GTS, I also added a WHIM. Getting CarPlay to work with my iPhone 14 continues to be hit or miss. (I use a genuine Apple lightning cable and always have my HD headset turned on before I turn on the bike, the HD Headset is not pared to the phone, just the bike, etc.) I estimate that it still fails one out of four times. Sometimes I get an error that there is no microphone connected, but most of the time it just uses the iPhone like a USB, retrieves the MP3 files, and starts playing them. When it fails, I need to turn off the bike for 25 seconds and try again after reseating all of the cables...

I have always suspected the lightning cables were not up to the task. Now the iPhone 16 no longer uses the lightning cable, it uses USB-C. So, I am wondering: has anyone upgraded, and how is it working?

Old 10-06-2024 | 10:26 AM
propflux01
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force

I don't have a 16 yet, but I have to ask, have you tried updating the GTS software first? It is version M23.22.27.00 . Maybe try to update first then see if your connection issues get better. The USB C should not be an issue, and USB A to C adapters are common. I hope that helps at least a little.

Old 10-06-2024 | 07:10 PM
hairymoth
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by propflux01
have you tried updating the GTS software first? It is version M23.22.27.00 .
Yes, I have M23.22.27.00. I have tried all the normal advice. It does work most of the time, but, about 1 in 4 times it fails and that just means I need to shutdown and count.

The following users liked this post:
propflux01 (10-06-2024)
Old Yesterday | 08:33 PM
HFS
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Buddy of mine suggested to turn OFF the SENA at a stop. -- So at a gas station, kill the power. Fuel up, then fire up. you won't have CarPlay, but then you power up your SENA. Seemed to make the CarPlay come back way more. Just to give it a try...

I'm still looking to replace my 30K. The battery isn't lasting more than an hour...

Old Today | 07:39 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by HFS

I'm still looking to replace my 30K. The battery isn't lasting more than an hour...
Have you replaced the battery in it? Easy to do.....

Old Today | 12:17 PM
ZBoT
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hairymoth
Has anyone tried the new iPhone 16, with the USB-V cable with the Boom GTS and Apple CarPlay?

My 2023 Road Glide Ultra has a Boom GTS, I also added a WHIM. Getting CarPlay to work with my iPhone 14 continues to be hit or miss. (I use a genuine Apple lightning cable and always have my HD headset turned on before I turn on the bike, the HD Headset is not pared to the phone, just the bike, etc.) I estimate that it still fails one out of four times. Sometimes I get an error that there is no microphone connected, but most of the time it just uses the iPhone like a USB, retrieves the MP3 files, and starts playing them. When it fails, I need to turn off the bike for 25 seconds and try again after reseating all of the cables...

I have always suspected the lightning cables were not up to the task. Now the iPhone 16 no longer uses the lightning cable, it uses USB-C. So, I am wondering: has anyone upgraded, and how is it working?
I had an iPhone 12 which gave me the same problems as you getting CarPlay to work. Always have to fiddle and turn headset off/on or replug in the phone cable. I recently upgraded to an iPhone 16 w/ USB-C. I can confirm CarPlay works with Boom GTS and iPhone 16 w/ USB-C cable. Whether or not it resolves the CarPlay connection issues we'll see I guess. I'm doubtful though.

Old Today | 07:52 PM
hairymoth
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ZBoT
I had an iPhone 12 which gave me the same problems as you getting CarPlay to work. Always have to fiddle and turn headset off/on or replug in the phone cable. I recently upgraded to an iPhone 16 w/ USB-C. I can confirm CarPlay works with Boom GTS and iPhone 16 w/ USB-C cable. Whether or not it resolves the CarPlay connection issues we'll see I guess. I'm doubtful though.
Thanks. I did do the upgrade to the 16 pro, for other reasons. When I started using it, it went for about a day without missing a startup/connection. Turns out that was just a good day. The other day, I just couldn't get it to connect, I restarted about 4 times before giving up. It is not just Harleys, I had the same issue in my wife's car that had CarPlay, before we lost that car,