Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake line crimped

Search this Thread

Old Today, 08:40 PM
Billyjoe744
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brake line crimped

Hello everyone, I have a 2009 Sportster that we did an adjustment on the handle bars for my wife to have better control. The brakes started sticking and we found a flat spot in the metal part of the front cable. I'm wondering why we even need this fixed metal piece? It's in the way on the front end. Does anyone know why they designed this and do we need to have that metal line on there?

Old Today, 08:57 PM
Rob Roy's Revenge
Road Warrior
Received 1,089 Likes on 622 Posts

Welcome to the forum, I assume you are referring to the rigid bundy tubing that forms part of the upper and lower brake hose assembly. Many motorcycle manufacturers use bundy tubing on their brake hoses, it's possibly to keep the hose in place or a cost effective excercise, or perhaps both.

I replaced the front brake hose on my 2011 XL883 with a one piece braided stainless hose with black anodised aluminium fittings, I think it looks better than the stock rubber and bundy tubing hose. I also changed the single piston caliper for a four piston unit, the braking is much improved now.

Old Today, 09:25 PM
hammer6315
HDF Community Team
Received 251 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Billyjoe744
Hello everyone, I have a 2009 Sportster that we did an adjustment on the handle bars for my wife to have better control. The brakes started sticking and we found a flat spot in the metal part of the front cable. I'm wondering why we even need this fixed metal piece? It's in the way on the front end. Does anyone know why they designed this and do we need to have that metal line on there?
Your post is rather confusing. My thinking is that the bike has a hydraulic front brake, so, there is no 'cable', unless you mean the 'line'. That metal line is what actuates the brake. How about a photo of the area of concern?

Last edited by hammer6315; Today at 09:30 PM.