Sponsored by:

Can't Find Neutral... Me Neither

Search this Thread

Old Today, 06:25 PM
npn
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Can't Find Neutral... Me Neither

Got this bike yesterday and almost immediately I noticed a possible issue with the clutch (possible):

It's about impossible to find the neutral gear. I researched and watched videos and stuff, and all points to the clutch not disengaging completely when the lever is depressed. This bike has 2500 original miles and all oil was changed on Monday by a reputable dealer

There's also a larger clunk when shifting gears, at least much louder than my Sportster 883.

Question - how can you tell if the clutch isn't completely disengaging?

Old Today, 06:30 PM
Taxgod4u
Road Warrior
Received 1,328 Likes on 606 Posts

Can't answer the dragging Q, but the Thrshin Supply ez shift inner shifer shaft is a huge help in finding a lost neutral. Buy me

Old Today, 06:52 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,399 Likes on 2,980 Posts

I’ve got a 2024 FLHP, 7500 miles on it since I ordered it new earlier this year, running Formula + in the primary, and HD synthetic gear oil in the trans. Neutral is pretty elusive, but I find running a heel shifter makes it easy to gently bump it down into neutral.

Besides, gotta love a heel shifter.

**dons flame suit**

Old Today, 07:08 PM
npn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Taxgod4u
Can't answer the dragging Q, but the Thrshin Supply ez shift inner shifer shaft is a huge help in finding a lost neutral. Buy me
Yeah I'm aware of that inner arm piece but for one I'm not ready to shed $120 on this piece of metal, and two I'm convinced that my clutch is the issue. At some point I might end up with it who knows and thanks for bringing it up.

Old Today, 07:12 PM
npn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by gonemad
I’ve got a 2024 FLHP, 7500 miles on it since I ordered it new earlier this year, running Formula + in the primary, and HD synthetic gear oil in the trans. Neutral is pretty elusive, but I find running a heel shifter makes it easy to gently bump it down into neutral.

Besides, gotta love a heel shifter.

**dons flame suit**
To me this is mind boggling - I've read other posters complaining too - how can HD release a model that has this issue. Not sure what "elusive" is in your case, but for me, it takes 4-5 tries shifting between 1st and 2nd gear to get it to Neutral. When down shifting from 3rd, to 2nd and then neutral for coasting, in the 4-5 hours that I drove this bike, it never ever happened - it goes straight to 1st. This is not my first bike, so it's absolutely not normal for mine your probably yours, gonemad

Old Today, 07:13 PM
Black Ultra
Road Master
Received 599 Likes on 313 Posts

I assume you are referring to the RK in your other post. Adjusting the clutch is easy. Just remove the derby cover and follow the instructions in the manual. But before you tear into it, how close to the grip is the initial engagement point? How close to the end of the lever travel is full engagement?

Old Today, 07:15 PM
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 5,838 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Even though it's a few years old, it's not broke in yet. Keep riding it, and neutral will get easier. The Harley branded 80w-140 gear oil in the primary will work wonders for finding neutral. Seriously, it's magic. Make sure the clutch is properly adjusted too. That clunk is normal.

Old Today, 07:17 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,399 Likes on 2,980 Posts

Originally Posted by npn
To me this is mind boggling - I've read other posters complaining too - how can HD release a model that has this issue. Not sure what "elusive" is in your case, but for me, it takes 4-5 tries shifting between 1st and 2nd gear to get it to Neutral. When down shifting from 3rd, to 2nd and then neutral for coasting, in the 4-5 hours that I drove this bike, it never ever happened - it goes straight to 1st. This is not my first bike, so it's absolutely not normal for mine your probably yours, gonemad

I never shift into neutral unless I’m stopped and need both hands, or I’m getting off the bike. Just pull in the clutch if you want to coast. Are you not finding neutral when stopped, or is this just when you are rolling.

Last edited by gonemad; Today at 07:34 PM.
Old Today, 07:19 PM
npn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Black Ultra
But before you tear into it, how close to the grip is the initial engagement point? How close to the end of the lever travel is full engagement?
About 1 inch, maybe a bit more.
Almost an inch.

Old Today, 07:53 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 344 Likes on 179 Posts

Every time I found trouble with neutral it was because I overfilled the primary. Even when the pro's do it they get Johnny the new guy to do it for them. It only takes a "little" to much to screw things up. I would start there.

The following users liked this post:
07UltraGuy (Today)

Quick Reply: Can't Find Neutral... Me Neither