2024+ Touring Models Discuss the currently offered Touring Models

Front Brake on 2024 RG

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM
Magneto Man
Intermediate
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Front Brake on 2024 RG

Hi folks. I need some help here. The front brake on my 2024 FLTRX is giving me some issues and the dealership can't seem to understand what I'm telling them. I told them two ways to experience the problem, yet they told me they found no problem. So, here goes -

I'm a bit short - well, make that just short, and when I stop I use the rear brake pedal in normal fashion, but in the last 10 feet or so. I rely solely on the front brake for the final stop so I can plant both feet and maintain my balance. I've done this for decades, even back when the bikes had drum brakes. At about 9k miles, and shortly after getting caught in a heavy rain on the interstate, I have what acts as a warped right front rotor. The right hand one that's used by the hand brake. As I slowly stop at a light or stop sign, the brake pulses and pulls to the right, making a smooth transition from slow speed to stopped impossible. As an additional test, I hit the road and, at 55 mph, pulled the clutch and slowly applied the front brake. The vibration and straight-line experience was amazingly terrifying.

At my 10k service they told me the runout on the disc was okay. They also told me that pulled the caliper, cleaned everything, and reassembled it, even though they couldn't confirm the problem I was reporting. So, my service agreement provides me something to ride while they perform the oil change and other scheduled checks. They gave me a 2024 FLTRX with 55 miles on it. As I was driving it, I did the same tests I did on mine. Slow speed stop using the front brake - fine. 55 to stop with the front brake - fine.

I picked the bike up after service and was told no issue was found and was sent on my way. I could tell it wasn't fixed when I stopped while leaving their parking lot. I drove home and called them. I have a new appointment in 2 days for a second check, supposedly with a second technician. While waiting for the new appointment I decided to see for myself and pulled the caliper and pads. They were not clean and were as dirty as what one would expect at 10k mikes. I cleaned everything, reinstalled the pads and caliper per the instructions in the service manual, and went for a test ride. The first 2 or 3 in town stops were fine. I hit the back road and did the 55 mph slow down and the vibration returned. The in town issues returned as well. So, what do you think? a sticking piston?

Old Today, 10:23 AM
camaroz2866
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would find a different dealership.

The following users liked this post:
BrandonSmith (Today)