Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Vision Head Temp 460F on a 1200

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM
T$$
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Power Vision Head Temp 460F on a 1200

Stage 1 with a 2into1 and big sucker. 20' Iron 1200. Started with a map sent from DynoJet for that setup. Have since autotuned.

Temps today ran up to 464F (the limit of what the powervision 3 reads out, so it was most likely higher) with a mix of highway and street riding. At stops it would creep down to the high 430s, then hop right back up when I started moving again, Outside temp was 85-90.

I see a couple posts that 420 is about as high as I'd want to see. Am I at risk of breaking something? Is something already broken? Could the tune be the issue? Should I start over with the original map and autotune again?

Thanks,
T

Last edited by T$$; Yesterday at 04:00 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

OK, I don't know a thing about Power Vision, but I know about ICE. Yes, wrong AFR can overheat your heads. It may not break anything mechanical instantly, but it will "break" the oil. I'd suggest an oil change after you get this sorted out. As a side note, how this Power Vision can autotune without wide band O2 sensors is beyond me, I'd say it can't be done.

Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM
Rob Roy's Revenge
Road Warrior
Received 1,087 Likes on 620 Posts

If the high temperature bothers you, which it should because getting too hot will eventually kill the motor.

H-D sell a side mounted oil cooler kit for 2004 to 2022 Sportster models, the part number is 62996-07A.

If you don't want to pay the H-D price, Jagg also produce a similar kit.

It's also a goot idea to install an inline thermostat switch to control when the cooler is activated.

Another idea, especially for stop/start city riding is to mount a small 12 volt fan behind the cooler, it can easily be controled by a handlebar mounted on/off switch.

Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

I might suggest you revisit the tune... You might call Fuel Moto for an assist. Or you might be just as well - or better - off reaching out to a competent tuner in you neck of the woods. My temps run in the 370 to 420 range - with the vast majority of the time below 390. Temps as high as you are experiencing would give me pause and require some investigation/mitigation. I wouldn't be putting hours on that motor with those numbers.

My setup:

2009 Nightster (stock)
Power Vision/Target Tune
Tune provided by Fuel Moto
Vance & Hines Side Shots
DK Customs 636v Intake

Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

Oil cooler is a good idea, I have one, with thermostat. It only starts cooling when I go 80+ for some time with ambient over 80-85 °F. In actuality, my ThunderMax autotune lowered the temperature, as it should, by providing proper AFR instead of EPA mandated lean at idle and low RPM. There is something seriously wrong with that autotune of your PV. As I said before, a real autotune needs live feedback from exhaust and it can be done only with wide band sensors, not with stock sensors.

Last edited by Von_Zipper; Yesterday at 08:32 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
As I said before, a real autotune needs live feedback from exhaust and it can be done only with wide band sensors, not with stock sensors.
Not really true. While the stock sensors have a smaller range than a broadband they are much faster and more accurate and safe to use up to 85 kpa. As a side note with broadband sensors and the Delphi ecm there is no adaptive learning. Yes those temps are way too high. Just looking at some data from road testing a few the temps are right around 370f.

Last edited by Lonewolf176; Yesterday at 11:22 PM. Reason: add a comment.
Old Today, 03:11 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,008 Likes on 2,557 Posts

The O2 sensors on the bike inform the ECU if the mixture is lean, ok or rich but not by how much when out. It is a try it and see to get the mixture corrected. With wideband the sensor indicates by how much the mixture is out and so ought to result in the system fixing the problem faster but only if the ECU knows how to use the information.

In the absence of anything else you could put the bike back to stock, put back the factory tune and see what the engine temperature is.

When I got a FP3 V&H produced a better tune for stock hardware. It does just as it says and the running temperature of the oil dropped and therefore the running temperature of the engine.

Old Today, 03:13 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,008 Likes on 2,557 Posts

Did you load a 883 tune?

Old Today, 03:32 AM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
Not really true. While the stock sensors have a smaller range than a broadband they are much faster and more accurate and safe to use up to 85 kpa. As a side note with broadband sensors and the Delphi ecm there is no adaptive learning. Yes those temps are way too high. Just looking at some data from road testing a few the temps are right around 370f.
Naturally, for a real autotune not only the sensors, but the ECU itself must be capable to react to readings. I assumed folks understand that. I assumed wrong, I see. Having stock sensors based system and calling it autotuning is nonsense. Stock sensors work in very narrow range, stock ECU stops reading them as soon as the engine load is a little higher and switches to canned maps. As soon as a little richer AFR is needed stock sensors are out of range and totally useless.