2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Tune for de-cat pipes & air filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2024, 05:57 PM
GrenV
Cruiser
Received 130 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Tune for de-cat pipes & air filter

Soon after I purchased my 2022 LRS I put on cat-less V&H slash cut slip-ons. I also purchased a HD Street Tuner and cable. However, I never opened the tuner and tuned the bike. The bike runs fine and I have about 6k miles.

Recently, I put on a K&N air filter and noticed some run improvement, but a little more back firing. I was going to tune my bike with the HD street tuner, but I heard it will only tune HD/EPA compliant product which my slip-ons are not. I also heard that you can't safe your previous map, when you re-map it. I don't want to have a shitty map without a way to go back.

Do I have this right? If the HD Street tuner won't really help me, I will sell it as it has not been opened or locked to a VIN. But what is a good tuner to use and do I really need a tune for a high flow air filter and de-cat'ed slip-ons?

Thanks

Old 09-28-2024, 09:51 PM
Leimy
Tourer
Veteran: Air Force
Received 180 Likes on 108 Posts

IMHO,
I don't have the HD tuner. I have another tuner. When I did the first steps of mods, de-cat headpipe, slip-on and SE AC, I got a new map tune. Ran even better.
While it might be running good now, doing a tune (yes, even with the atuo tune functions), your bike will run better.

(along will come others who will say you MUST/HAVE to do a dyno tune).

Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM
Blackout25
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a the HD street tuner for my '23 heritage. I had gotten it after adding a hi flow a/c , and changing to no-cat slip ons. Heritage had cats in the mufflers, between the a/c and mufflers, I wanted a tune. The standard map was ok, but after doing a few smart tune recordings and having it create a map, its much better. I've since changed to a full 2-1 exhaust and re-smart tuned, still happy with the performance. The app is a little finicky. Phone gotta be on do not disturb, screen can shut off, and bike and phone both should be plugged into power so they dont drop below min volts. My biggest complaint, the app wont let you delete "old" calibrations. so the few I had for the slip ons are still there. its not bad, just not as clean a look as id like. I did pick up a y-cable for bout half what HD sells it for, Im going to download the desktop version, see if thats any friendlier to use at all.

The main point of the HD tuner, it wont void warranties. Had I no warranty on mine, I would have a different tuner. I'm still trying to confirm if I had the extended warranty from my dealer or not. If I don't, next Feb when my factory warranty is up, I want to do a cam and get a better tuner. I had V/H fuelpak and fp3/fp4s in the past, liked them. I might do a powervision or pv3 or 4 or something different. Depends on what the guys suggest when I look into the cam upgrade. I wont be doing a full on thundermax ecu or anything like that, Im not going past the stage 2 so I think widebands and a custom ecu would be overkill.

Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM
jake24lt
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,559 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackout25
I have a the HD street tuner for my '23 heritage. I had gotten it after adding a hi flow a/c , and changing to no-cat slip ons. Heritage had cats in the mufflers, between the a/c and mufflers, I wanted a tune. The standard map was ok, but after doing a few smart tune recordings and having it create a map, its much better. I've since changed to a full 2-1 exhaust and re-smart tuned, still happy with the performance. The app is a little finicky. Phone gotta be on do not disturb, screen can shut off, and bike and phone both should be plugged into power so they dont drop below min volts. My biggest complaint, the app wont let you delete "old" calibrations. so the few I had for the slip ons are still there. its not bad, just not as clean a look as id like. I did pick up a y-cable for bout half what HD sells it for, Im going to download the desktop version, see if thats any friendlier to use at all.

The main point of the HD tuner, it wont void warranties. Had I no warranty on mine, I would have a different tuner. I'm still trying to confirm if I had the extended warranty from my dealer or not. If I don't, next Feb when my factory warranty is up, I want to do a cam and get a better tuner. I had V/H fuelpak and fp3/fp4s in the past, liked them. I might do a powervision or pv3 or 4 or something different. Depends on what the guys suggest when I look into the cam upgrade. I wont be doing a full on thundermax ecu or anything like that, Im not going past the stage 2 so I think widebands and a custom ecu would be overkill.
Removing the catalytic convertor will though!.

The following users liked this post:
luckiestiff (Yesterday)
Old Today, 05:46 PM
javyLSU
Stage III
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I recently purchased a 2018 Fat Boy 114 with 220 miles that came with a 3 year warranty. I still have my DynoJet PowerVision 3 that I intended on using on this Fat Boy, until I realized that it would potentially void my warranty if I tuned this bike with it. I've since put a set of Tab Performance (cat-less) mufflers with medium baffles on the Fat Boy and wanted a tune - since I didn't want to flush 3 years of factory warranty, I bought the H-D Pro Street Tuner. I just got around to installing the H-D Stage 1 tune onto the bike and did my first "smart tune" session yesterday. I have to say, even after only one session (where I focused mainly on 2nd and 3rd gear throttle positions and RPMs) the bike runs MUCH smoother and "snappier" than with the stock map. I plan on a few more "smart tune" sessions with the H-D tuner. I was initially hesitant to go with a map that's labeled as being only for H-D Stage 1 components, but so far I'm really happy with the tune. Just thought I'd share this as the setup that you're running is very similar to mine, and it seems that we're using the same tuner. I will say that because the H-D tuner lacks the ability to "backup" the stock tune, I did connect it to my DynoJet FP3 and saved the stock tune to a .STK file that I can use to restore the stock tune should I want to use the DynoJet PV3 in the future. Based on my experience with H-D's tune so far, I have no desire to go back to the factory tune, but if you know someone with a PV3, that's an option if you have a desire to save your stock tune. I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have...

Old Today, 08:10 PM
GrenV
Cruiser
Received 130 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
I recently purchased a 2018 Fat Boy 114 with 220 miles that came with a 3 year warranty. I still have my DynoJet PowerVision 3 that I intended on using on this Fat Boy, until I realized that it would potentially void my warranty if I tuned this bike with it. I've since put a set of Tab Performance (cat-less) mufflers with medium baffles on the Fat Boy and wanted a tune - since I didn't want to flush 3 years of factory warranty, I bought the H-D Pro Street Tuner. I just got around to installing the H-D Stage 1 tune onto the bike and did my first "smart tune" session yesterday. I have to say, even after only one session (where I focused mainly on 2nd and 3rd gear throttle positions and RPMs) the bike runs MUCH smoother and "snappier" than with the stock map. I plan on a few more "smart tune" sessions with the H-D tuner. I was initially hesitant to go with a map that's labeled as being only for H-D Stage 1 components, but so far I'm really happy with the tune. Just thought I'd share this as the setup that you're running is very similar to mine, and it seems that we're using the same tuner. I will say that because the H-D tuner lacks the ability to "backup" the stock tune, I did connect it to my DynoJet FP3 and saved the stock tune to a .STK file that I can use to restore the stock tune should I want to use the DynoJet PV3 in the future. Based on my experience with H-D's tune so far, I have no desire to go back to the factory tune, but if you know someone with a PV3, that's an option if you have a desire to save your stock tune. I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have...
Thanks man, this is great info. Not sure what I’m going to do. I’m just a little concerned about loosing the base map. Probably really doesn’t matter, but still need to get past that or spend another $450 on the PV-3.