Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Lowrider electrical question

Search this Thread

Old Today, 08:01 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,724 Likes on 843 Posts
Default 96 Lowrider electrical question

I just bought this bike for $1500. Needs battery and some module under the square chrome cover on the left side. Can anyone tell me what is behind that chrome cover? Story is the battery died and was attempting to jump it but switched to Start on the charger. He smelled smoke and quit jumping. Says burnt smell coming from under the seat in that box. Also anyone use a front fender tip piece. There are some paint chips and want to cover them. There is one on eBay for $30

Old Today, 09:42 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,226 Likes on 4,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnut1

I just bought this bike for $1500. Needs battery and some module under the square chrome cover on the left side. Can anyone tell me what is behind that chrome cover? Story is the battery died and was attempting to jump it but switched to Start on the charger. He smelled smoke and quit jumping. Says burnt smell coming from under the seat in that box. Also anyone use a front fender tip piece. There are some paint chips and want to cover them. There is one on eBay for $30

Don't be surprised if you need more than two parts.

I suggest you get a factory service manual for that bike. You will probably need it before this repair is done.

The "chrome square cover on the left side" is the coil cover (forward) and/or the electrical panel cover (aft).

I suspect some of the parts under the electrical panel were cooked...

You should check the fuses under that electrical panel cover, to include the starter relay at minimum. Hopefully you didn't also fry the #32449-95C Electric continuity module, as I believe it was $300, when it was still available... I don't know what they are using now.

Hopefully you are good with a multi-meter.

Good luck with your repair, and report back what you find and need to fix...

Old Today, 09:45 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,991 Likes on 4,054 Posts

The ignition module and turn signal module are under that cover along with the fuses.. You got a pretty good deal even if the electrics are fried..

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (Today)
Old Today, 09:50 AM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts

$1500 bucks, sounds like the steal of the day

hattitude (Today)
Old Today, 09:56 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,991 Likes on 4,054 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
Don't be surprised if you need more than two parts.

I suggest you get a factory service manual for that bike. You will probably need it before this repair is done.

The "chrome square cover on the left side" is the coil cover (forward) and/or the electrical panel cover (aft).

I suspect some of the parts under the electrical panel were cooked...

You should check the fuses under that electrical panel cover, to include the starter relay at minimum. Hopefully you didn't also fry the #32449-95C Electric continuity module, as I believe it was $300, when it was still available... I don't know what they are using now.

Hopefully you are good with a multi-meter.

Good luck with your repair, and report back what you find and need to fix...
FWIW if the ignition module is fried, I'd replace it with a nose cone ignition. I'd also with the TS module, if blown. go with aftermarket.

May end up being all the electronics plus a battery but at 1500 OP came out ahead providing the motor and tranny are in good shape.

When you get smoke like that it's possible that the jumper was connected backwards.

hattitude (Today)