Sponsored by:

M8 Sound

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM
ricklee4570
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default M8 Sound

Can someone please explain to me why the M8 engines lack the typical Harley sound? I have seen people remove the catalytic converters and literally run straight pipes and they still dont have the sound that the Twin Cams have (or any other Harley engine for that matter).
What in the design makes them sound different?

Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,928 Likes on 1,585 Posts

8 valves up top, different head port design, dual counter balancers(in the softails), cam design, and other factors.
Remember when the TwinCam came out people said it didnt sound like a harley. Now there's people who swear it was the end of HD when the twincam and dyna was discontinued.

A stage 2 cam certainly brings a nice true harley lope to most M8 engines. It's definitely still more aggressive and angry sounding over previous Harley engines.

The following 4 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
luckiestiff (Yesterday), Old New Rider (Today), ricklee4570 (Yesterday), Steelie68 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM
ricklee4570
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
8 valves up top, different head port design, dual counter balancers(in the softails), cam design, and other factors.
Remember when the TwinCam came out people said it didnt sound like a harley. Now there's people who swear it was the end of HD when the twincam and dyna was discontinued.

A stage 2 cam certainly brings a nice true harley lope to most M8 engines. It's definitely still more aggressive and angry sounding over previous Harley engines.
Thanks, that makes sense. I appreciate your knowledge on this subject!

Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,608 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by ricklee4570
Can someone please explain to me why the M8 engines lack the typical Harley sound? I have seen people remove the catalytic converters and literally run straight pipes and they still dont have the sound that the Twin Cams have (or any other Harley engine for that matter).
What in the design makes them sound different?
Stock, they don't lack the sound any more than stock twin cams do. People have been modifying their engines to get that "lost Harley sound" since the advent of the shovelhead.

The following 2 users liked this post by Keithhu:
Goose_NC (Today), ricklee4570 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
davekp
Road Captain
Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII

I think you need to get the idle RPM below about 900.

The following users liked this post:
ricklee4570 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,999 Likes on 4,058 Posts

No overlap in the cams.. In fact they stay closed longer at TDC than say a latter TC. Add a cam with some overlap and you 'll get the sound back..

The following 3 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
Old New Rider (Today), pgreer (Today), ricklee4570 (Today)
Old Today, 07:42 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by davekp
I think you need to get the idle RPM below about 900.
Lots of "pros" in the industry advise against this on the M8. I dont remember the reason why, but pretty sure harley even bumped up stock RPMs after the first year or so of M8 productions because of the same reasons.

As said already, good aftermarket cam and exhaust will make a huge improvement in sound. Still the M8 wont sound like a TC as the TC didnt sound like the Evo and so on. ALso the M8 is much more sensitive to cam/exhaust combos.

The following users liked this post:
ricklee4570 (Today)
Old Today, 07:51 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,362 Likes on 4,775 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Lots of "pros" in the industry advise against this on the M8. I don't remember the reason why, but pretty sure harley even bumped up stock RPMs after the first year or so of M8 productions because of the same reasons.
IIRC it was shortly after initial M8 release they changed from 850 to 950 rpms on production bikes. The SEPST Stage Calibrations updated to 950 from the start. Some of the issues / concerns with 850 were as follows;

1. Charging System Performance
2. Lower Oil Pressure
3. Complaints about clutch performance during low speed operation (this might have been the catalyst for HD making the change)

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
Old New Rider (Today), ricklee4570 (Today)
Old Today, 08:12 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
IIRC it was shortly after initial M8 release they changed from 850 to 950 rpms on production bikes. The SEPST Stage Calibrations updated to 950 from the start. Some of the issues / concerns with 850 were as follows;

1. Charging System Performance
2. Lower Oil Pressure
3. Complaints about clutch performance during low speed operation (this might have been the catalyst for HD making the change)
Sounds right. When I bought my 17, it initially had the lower RPM. Very shortly after purchase, I did the stage one upgrade and remember the RPM being higher. Seems like it might have even been 1050 at idle until I did a stage 2 aftermarket cam and tuner a year later. That put it back down to 950 or so.

Old Today, 08:22 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,362 Likes on 4,775 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Sounds right. When I bought my 17, it initially had the lower RPM. Very shortly after purchase, I did the stage one upgrade and remember the RPM being higher. Seems like it might have even been 1050 at idle until I did a stage 2 aftermarket cam and tuner a year later. That put it back down to 950 or so.
same here, my 17 went to 950 after ECM calibration, and 1050 with EITMS activated, as designed and as stated in the OM

Quick Reply: M8 Sound