General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading Avon Custom Contour heated grips.

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,873 Likes on 811 Posts
Talking Upgrading Avon Custom Contour heated grips.

So, I have Avon Custom Contour heated grips installed on Reaper, and I LOVE them. The only problem is that whatever rubber they use, wears out fast. I get about 2 years out of the rubber on their grips. With the non-heated version I had installed prior, I would order replacement rubber sleeves, and well, replace them, haha!

When the heated grips rubber wore out, earlier this year, I called Avon to see if I could send the grips back to them for the sleeve replacement, since the heater pad is something I never dealt with before.
They told me that they don't do re-sleeves on the heated grips because they're worried about cutting the heating element, when removing the old rubber.

So, I said, "ok, can I just buy a pair of grips, since I don't need the controller or anything else. They said "Nope, you have to buy the whole system". That costs over $300.00 these days, so I said no thanks. I also told them that's a ripoff, and they should sell the grips alone, because sometimes the heaters fail, and why have to buy an entire system to replace one grip? Same for the rubber sleeves...

Anyway, I figured what the hell? I'll see what the grips are all about. So, I easily removed the old rubber without damaging the heating element. The clutch side heater wasn't working when I removed the grips, because the wire connection had corroded.
Looking at them, it's just a set of standard grips with heating pads glued to them. So I did some research online, and found what I needed: polyimide heating pads. 30 bucks later, I had 6 pads delivered to my door. I also ordered 4 replacement rubber sleeves for another 30 ish bucks. I had measured the working heater, and found it to be an 18 W pad. The replacements are 25 W. I removed the old pads, installed the new ones, installed the sleeves, and Bob's your uncle. Not only do I have new sleeves, the grips are hotter than original, which is AWESOME!!!

So, bottom line: they wanted me to drop 300 bucks for a new complete system that will last 2 years. Instead, I dropped about 60, did the job, and have enough materials to do another complete job next time, AND the grips perform better now!

Cheers!

The following 5 users liked this post by Clammy:
gonemad (Yesterday), Goose_NC (Today), Tom H (Yesterday), Tommy C (Yesterday), YZR (Today)
Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,232 Likes on 1,846 Posts

Good deal! Pics and links to what you bought would be a decent add to your post though, just saying.

The following users liked this post:
Clammy (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
Good deal! Pics and links to what you bought would be a decent add to your post though, just saying.
I wanted to get the job done, so I forgot to take pics. As for links...

The polyimide heater pads came from amazon (Canadian version, so they're probably cheaper in the USA):
Amazon Amazon

The replacement grip sleeves came from Avon: https://avongrips-com.3dcartstores.c...nly_p_408.html

Cheers!

The following 2 users liked this post by Clammy:
dawg (Yesterday), gonemad (Yesterday)
Old Today, 10:37 AM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,941 Likes on 979 Posts

You should let Avon know what you did!

The following 2 users liked this post by YZR:
Clammy (Today), Goose_NC (Today)
Old Today, 11:10 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by YZR
You should let Avon know what you did!
@YZR Been seriously considering doing just that, but I don't know if it will accomplish anything, other than wasting more of my time.

Cheers!

Goose_NC (Today)
Old Today, 11:25 AM
Trumpet
Road Captain
Received 401 Likes on 252 Posts

Tell them, they'll increase the grip sleeve price to .....$300

Clammy (Today)
Old Today, 11:57 AM
Clammy