Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre 2024 twin cam models

Search this Thread

Old Today, 07:18 AM
Tinman64
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pre 2024 twin cam models

Looking for best recommendation for headlamp and passing lights for 2011 FLHRKC

my neck of the woods 99212 seems to be crazy these days with cagers that are preoccupied with texting and being distracted to watch out for scooter riders, and or just don't look for riders. I feel lighting is important to be seen, and also to upgrade for evening when the daylight of Fall is less.

Thanks,

The following users liked this post:
Mongo1958 (Today)
Old Today, 07:28 AM
KK0G
Tourer
Received 311 Likes on 156 Posts

While there is nothing wrong with upgrading your headlights, don't fall into a false sense of security because they will not keep you any safer from distracted drivers. That said there's a gazillion choices of LED headlights on Amazon and you're going to get a lot of differing opinions on which is the best. Personally I'd just pick one that has a relatively high rating on Amazon and order them.

The following 3 users liked this post by KK0G:
07UltraGuy (Today), 2500hdon37s (Today), Tinman64 (Today)
Old Today, 09:05 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,131 Likes on 7,344 Posts

I have pretty good experience with stock lights, Custom Dynamics upgrades, Baja LP 6 conversions and add on spots.

Color has a lot to do with helping you stand out and Yellow / Amber is the best hands down.

If I were you I would leave my stock lights alone and had a really high quality pair of spots from Clear Water or Denali.

I ran the Clear Water Erica’s for a few years and they are far better than anything else I have used.

Anything that is plug and play to your original bikes wiring is limited to the current that wire can handle. So they are never going to be super bright. You want to be seen, but for me it is equally or more important to actually SEE especially at night. Safety works both ways.

The Clear Water’s wire directly to your battery, they do connext to the bikes wiring for a signal that allows them to work as low beam and then go full intensity when you hit the high beam switch. They will turn night to day and I had so many people tell me they would see me coming. I ran to slip on amber covers and they really stand out.

Just my 2 cents worth.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
Germansheperd (Today), Stiggy (Today)
Old Today, 09:15 AM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,939 Likes on 978 Posts

If they aren't looking, lights will make little difference. If they are looking bright lights help. Keep your head on a swivel.
CD makes good products and their customer service is outstanding.

Last edited by YZR; Today at 09:20 AM.
Old Today, 09:27 AM
Oko
Club Member
Received 4,325 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I am a firm believer in lighting upgrades. Yes, you need to maintain situational awareness, but lighting is another tool in the survival arsenal.

I just purchased a 2010 FLHTK and one of the first items I ordered was an LED headlight and yellow LED spots from Custom Dynamics.

And I have flashing brake light bulbs and or CD brake flashers amongst my various machines.

I also utilize the Kisan Phazer headlight modulator. This I know has saved my bacon more than once. I got to talk to two drivers that were pulling out from perpendicular roads. I asked "what did you see and when did you see it?" Both missed my fat *** on a shiny machine in bright sunlight. It's when they noticed the flashing headlamp that they slammed on the brakes. Headlight modulators have been legal in all 50 states (and D.C.) for over 30-years by federal DOT regulations.

If you do all of the above, you'll be north of a grand.

Heck, some cagers are oblivious to screeching fire trucks and ambulances. So again, you need to maintain situational awareness,

Old Today, 09:42 AM
Mongo1958
Road Warrior
Received 874 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinman64

my neck of the woods 99212 seems to be crazy these days with cagers that are preoccupied with texting and being distracted to watch out for scooter riders, and or just don't look for riders. I feel lighting is important to be seen, and also to upgrade for evening when the daylight of Fall is less.

Thanks,
Check out Eagle Lights

Old Today, 10:43 AM
MikeRG3
Cruiser
Veteran: Navy
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Pipes do more than lights

Originally Posted by Tinman64

Thanks,
After riding many years to the Boeing plant for work the biggest helpful thing to be noticed was headers.

Nothing works as well as that deep HD sound.

Lights help a little but it is true LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES.

We bought several new bikes over the years, and I’d wait until I had over 1K miles before Stage 1 and a Dyno.

With stock pipes a 4 wheeler would try to take my lane like 3 times a week . After the headers it hardly ever happened.

Good Luck, Mike

Old Today, 11:06 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,011 Likes on 2,868 Posts

Some claim that creating a lighting "triangle" gets attention

Old Today, 11:14 AM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,039 Likes on 1,134 Posts

I have the H-D Daymaker in my Street Glide and a cheapo $40 Sunpie from Amazon in my Dyna. I can't tell the difference. Don't think you need to spend a lot of money to get a good headlight.

07UltraGuy (Today)
Old Today, 02:46 PM
662894v
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
I have pretty good experience with stock lights, Custom Dynamics upgrades, Baja LP 6 conversions and add on spots.

Color has a lot to do with helping you stand out and Yellow / Amber is the best hands down.

If I were you I would leave my stock lights alone and had a really high quality pair of spots from Clear Water or Denali.

I ran the Clear Water Erica’s for a few years and they are far better than anything else I have used.

Anything that is plug and play to your original bikes wiring is limited to the current that wire can handle. So they are never going to be super bright. You want to be seen, but for me it is equally or more important to actually SEE especially at night. Safety works both ways.

The Clear Water’s wire directly to your battery, they do connext to the bikes wiring for a signal that allows them to work as low beam and then go full intensity when you hit the high beam switch. They will turn night to day and I had so many people tell me they would see me coming. I ran to slip on amber covers and they really stand out.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Love my Clearwaters!

Cosmic Razorback (Today)

Quick Reply: Pre 2024 twin cam models