Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade from 88 to 96 or 103 ?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM
Vickersguy
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Upgrade from 88 to 96 or 103 ?

I went to the local HD dealership and fell into the hands of the sales staff. They wouldn't leave me alone till I took a test drive on a 103. I was really impressed with the ride and extra power of the 103 over my 88. I have heard that the " seat of the pants " feel of the 96 is about the same as the 103. That, and I think there are no Cats on the 96 and there is less complexity, without the oil coolers and all, that make me think a 96 might be a better option. So, is that extra 7 cuin. that big a deal ? Gotta go, but will post a few more thoughts shortly.

Last edited by Vickersguy; Yesterday at 07:08 AM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
Mongo1958 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM
brohoss
Tourer
Veteran: Navy
Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

My opinion, going from a 88 to 96 isnt that much in terms of power upgrade. Sure, you would get a little bump.
If you can swing it, an 88 to 103 would be the cats meow. I went from 96 (which couldnt get out of its own way) to a 103. Much mo betta!

Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Germansheperd
Road Warrior
Received 879 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by Vickersguy
I went to the local HD dealership and fell into the hands of the sales staff. They wouldn't leave me alone till I took a test drive on a 103. I was really impressed with the ride and extra power of the 103 over my 88. I have heard that the " seat of the pants " feel of the 96 is about the same as the 103. That, and I think there are no Cats on the 96 and there is less complexity, without the oil coolers and all, that make me think a 96 might be a better option. So, is that extra 7 cuin. that big a deal ? Gotta go, but will post a few more thoughts shortly.
I’ve owned both 96s and 103s. The 103 run much better, it is not just the 7 cu in the gearing also changed.

Rounders (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 515 Likes on 358 Posts

They are RELENTLESS aren't they ? The local dealer here, they practically greet you in the parking lot
And yes, there is a BIG difference between an 88 and a 103. The biggest I've ridden is the 114
Those things haul a$$ right out of the box.

Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM
Vickersguy
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I'm not real unhappy with the 88's power. It's got more than my 95 FLHPS had, and I loved that Evo. This 88 is skittish, quick steering and feels uncertain. It's the first bike I've had in a decade, and it's unpleasant to drive, especially at 70mph. It has a wobble there. I feel uncertain and shaky driving it. That 103, just driving it four miles, was so smooth and sure that it was a dream to drive. All my skills and smoothness came roaring back. I was gobsmacked by the difference between my 88 and the 103. Then to top it off, the additional power was breathtaking. Sadly, you don't get squat for trade in on an 88.

Last edited by Vickersguy; Yesterday at 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling, grammer
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,289 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Get the new saddle bags, they are worth it

I do think 103 is geared better.

Lot more to think about. You could bore a 96 too.

Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
leftyjm
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force
Received 412 Likes on 278 Posts

I had the 96 on my 09 Heritage, ran good no problems. Went to a 103 on my Road Glide Special, loved it. Had a 107 on my 20 Heritage, seemed to run to hot and a 107 on my 2017 Street Glide special. Of these I’d take the 103, great engine and seemed bullet proof.
Also have a 114 on a 22 Heritage and all I can say is it’s EVIL. Love it.

Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 839 Likes on 451 Posts

Well, I'm not real unhappy with the 88's power. It's got more than my 95 FLHPS had, and I loved that Evo. This 88 is skittish, quick steering and feels uncertain. It's the first bike I've had in a decade, and it's unpleasant to drive, especially at 70mph. It has a wobble there. I feel uncertain and shaky driving it. That 103, just driving it four miles, was so smooth and sure that it was a dream to drive. All my skills and smoothness came roaring back. I was gobsmacked by the difference between my 88 and the 103. Then to top it off, the additional power was breathtaking. Sadly, you don't get squat for trade in on an 88.
Something is very wrong with your chassis setup, 88's handle just fine unless something is up....usually tires in my experience. My favorite TC88 ever is a Road King I put a 95" Big Bore on, had the heads flowed and added SE203 Cams....I look forward to it coming in for a service because it is soooo nice to ride.

The following 2 users liked this post by Spanners39:
hattitude (Yesterday), Vickersguy (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,123 Likes on 3,659 Posts

Don’t try a 114”

Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,866 Likes on 1,264 Posts

What is the 88 you have in ?????
Another motor ain't gonna change handling problems that much.
Sounds like you have somethings to ck before throwing another motor at it or trading

WP

Last edited by WP50; Yesterday at 07:38 PM.
Spanners39 (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: Upgrade from 88 to 96 or 103 ?