Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

My '03 Dyna died on the road, wouldn't restart

Search this Thread

Old Today, 12:19 PM
Somewill
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '03 Dyna died on the road, wouldn't restart

Hi all, I hope this is the correct page to seek help. My 2003 FXDP carbed Twin Cam 95" died the other day while out on a ride, I eventually needed a trailer to get it home. The bike bike died leaving a red light, I could not get it started again. A friend had a lithium battery pack and it started for a minute but it wouldn't stay running. The bike was backfiring while trying to start, very uuncommon. I have about 45k miles on my 95" top end build, so nothing new there, no recent changes is what I mean. I'm starting on it today, but I'm seeking advice and ideas on what to look for, where to start... check the battery I know. The bike did the same thing last week, thankfully I had just got home from a gas run. The bike later started and I'd ridden it a couple of times until this happened. (again)
It's seemingly an electrical problem, but any response or advice would be appreciated. Battery, Spark, Coil, Cam Position Sensor?
TIA, Will

Old Today, 09:17 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain
Received 169 Likes on 139 Posts

Im assuming its EFI, check the fuel pressure. If you don't have a gauge, see if after turning over the engine, wait about 10 seconds then remove the hose and see if you have pressure in the line. If not change the fuel filter and regulator.
Check spark plugs they can telll you alot.
Check for loose ground or corroded ground wire or loose wiring in general.
Check all plugs for good connection and corrosion,
Check the fuel injector jacks.
Check compression