Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have read many threads, but none ask/answer this question

Search this Thread

Old Today, 08:47 AM
Bradfxfb
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I have read many threads, but none ask/answer this question

My wife has a 2018 sportster iron. It has the damned oil cap problem. It's a real pain to get the thing to pop up. What I am looking for is a cap that takes away the pop up option and just screws in. Is there such a thing? I would even go as far as to change out the oil tank just to get a screw in cap without the pop up. Let me know if you have come across this please.

Old Today, 08:50 AM
Bradfxfb
Advanced

Never mind guys and gals. I have found it.

Old Today, 09:05 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,344 Posts

That tank won’t likely fit a 2018. It looks like my 1991 tank, lots of changes since then. But, depending on your fabrication skills, anything is possible. Good luck!

The stick is a slip fit too, not screw in.

John

Last edited by John Harper; Today at 09:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bradfxfb (Today)
Old Today, 09:28 AM
Bradfxfb
Advanced

Originally Posted by John Harper
That tank won’t likely fit a 2018. It looks like my 1991 tank, lots of changes since then. But, depending on your fabrication skills, anything is possible. Good luck!

The stick is a slip fit too, not screw in.

John
thanks. With a new tank I will tig in a screw in cap

Old Today, 09:53 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,344 Posts

My dipstick holds securely as is. It just pulls straight out, no need for a screw cap. Basically, its a rubber stopper.

Seems to me a little fiddling with the pop up cap might be less hassle. Hopefully someone else has come up with a fix. I recall reading something about this issue a while back.

John

Last edited by John Harper; Today at 09:56 AM.
Bradfxfb (Today)
Old Today, 09:55 AM
Bradfxfb
Advanced

Originally Posted by John Harper
My dipstick holds securely as is. It just pulls straight out, no need for a screw cap. Basically, its a rubber stopper.

John
that would be excellent really.

John Harper (Today)
Old Today, 02:01 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,777 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradfxfb
My wife has a 2018 sportster iron. It has the damned oil cap problem. It's a real pain to get the thing to pop up. What I am looking for is a cap that takes away the pop up option and just screws in. Is there such a thing? I would even go as far as to change out the oil tank just to get a screw in cap without the pop up. Let me know if you have come across this please.
Have you looked into HD's analog oil temperature dipstick? It will replace the OE dipstick minus the pop up feature. To install, press down while turning 1/4 turn clockwise. To remove, pull up while turning 1/4 turn counterclockwise.
​​​​​

The following 2 users liked this post by barneyboy:
John Harper (Today), Ludwig von Buzzthoven (Today)
Old Today, 02:10 PM
Bradfxfb
Advanced

Originally Posted by barneyboy
Have you looked into HD's analog oil temperature dipstick? It will replace the OE dipstick minus the pop up feature. To install, press down while turning 1/4 turn clockwise. To remove, pull up while turning 1/4 turn counterclockwise.
​​​​​

I didn't know this was a thing actually. I figured they were all with the pop up so they st flush with the tank. Thank you.

Old Today, 03:38 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,777 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradfxfb
I didn't know this was a thing actually. I figured they were all with the pop up so they st flush with the tank. Thank you.
There's also a digital version in either black or chrome that displays both temperature and oil level at the touch of a button. Much like the analog version, it doesn't incorporate the pop up feature.

Old Today, 03:51 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Warrior
Received 669 Likes on 299 Posts

I can vouch for the analog dipstick. I run one on my ‘21 48 and it works great, about as easy to get on and off as it gets. One thing I will say is that it can be difficult to read exactly where the oil level is depending on the light. What I normally do is take a clean piece of white paper towel and lay the dipstick on it flat for a second then pull it off the towel a little and see where the oil stain matches up to on the stick itself. It’s a minor inconvenience but it’s way better than dealing with the stock pop up cap. Also, I think the analog gauge looks cool, kind of steampunk-y but not obnoxiously so.

Quick Reply: I have read many threads, but none ask/answer this question