General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harbor freight chock--garage floor?

Search this Thread

Old Today, 09:46 AM
Blackout25
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Harbor freight chock--garage floor?

This may be a dumb question, but, can I use this chock just free standing on the floor? looks just like id roll in it, and strap the front end to it.

1800 Lb. Capacity Motorcycle Stand/Wheel Chock (harborfreight.com)

Old Today, 10:01 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 513 Likes on 316 Posts

Sure, you can do that.
I have a similar one that I use from time to time when I need the bike in an upright and stable position.

Just be aware that when trying to back the bike out of the chock, the chock will sometimes want to just slide along the floor before the front wheel comes out.
Not a big deal, just something to know about.

Notice the bike pictured has a narrow front tire, so less likely to happen.
But with a fatter tire like on my Limited, that chock really "grabs" the tire pretty tight.

Last edited by RollaMo; Today at 10:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (Today)
Old Today, 10:04 AM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackout25
This may be a dumb question, but, can I use this chock just free standing on the floor? looks just like id roll in it, and strap the front end to it.

1800 Lb. Capacity Motorcycle Stand/Wheel Chock (harborfreight.com)
Nope on the dumb question....I was actually looking at that chock along with Harleys chock (200 bucks more!). Some have it mounted just like the photo with limited slipping/sliding.

Some put a "template" of the stand on a plywood floor mount to keep it fairly secure....

I have seen these secured to rubber/plastic floor tiles to prevent sliding....

I have seen them mounted to the concrete floor (but not an option for me)

I would love to see other forum members set ups in their garages....

Old Today, 10:10 AM
Blackout25
Intermediate

I found a new one on marketplace locally, so figured it was worth half price to give it a shot. I have floorboard extensions to put on, and the left side was cramped leaning on the kickstand. im getting too old to be laying on the concrete lol
I have a HF lift that I widened for my old dyna, it didn't give me good vibes using it on the Heritage though.

thanks for the input guys!

Old Today, 10:11 AM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 840 Likes on 316 Posts

I suppose it'd be fine. I have an older version of that wheel chock. Mine didn't have the stabilizing "arms" that extend out from the front. I fashioned a stabilizer from about 3' of angle iron. Bolted it to the front of the chock, and then bolted the angle iron to the floor of the garage. Drilled 2 holes in the concrete and put a threaded insert in each one. Yeah, I sometimes stub my toe on the angle iron, but I've learned to avoid it for the most part now. The whole thing is quite stable.

I wonder if the thing was loose on the floor, would the bike possibly just slide the chock forward instead of fitting into it? Before I bolted mine down I tried it with a long 2X8 between the chock and the wall...just in case it did want to slide forward. Worked fine until I decided to take it out of the chock. I pulled and yanked and cursed, but the front wheel stayed in the chock and pulled it back with the bike. Couldn't get it out of the chock no matter how hard I tried. I ended up disassembling the chock by removing the moveable part that was behind the wheel. Pain in the butt! That's when I decided to bolt it down.

Old Today, 10:13 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,089 Posts

I have that chock. I rarely use it. I had one mounted in my enclosed trailer as well. Ill say this. It was VERY hard to pull the bike out of the chock. Maybe I could have adjusted it, but I finally had to pull my trailer up the street on an incline so I could get the bike out.

As mentioned, if you dont mount it to something in your garage, I think its going to be hard not to pull it along with your bike as you're trying to back it out. If I get around to it, I'll cut a piece of plywood about 3ft wide and longer than my bike and mount it to that.

One more thing. Maybe its my height. I'm 5'8", so short legs don't help. lol

Otherwise, for the price, I love that chock.

Old Today, 10:16 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank the Real Biker
I suppose it'd be fine. I have an older version of that wheel chock. Mine didn't have the stabilizing "arms" that extend out from the front. I fashioned a stabilizer from about 3' of angle iron. Bolted it to the front of the chock, and then bolted the angle iron to the floor of the garage. Drilled 2 holes in the concrete and put a threaded insert in each one. Yeah, I sometimes stub my toe on the angle iron, but I've learned to avoid it for the most part now. The whole thing is quite stable.

I wonder if the thing was loose on the floor, would the bike possibly just slide the chock forward instead of fitting into it? Before I bolted mine down I tried it with a long 2X8 between the chock and the wall...just in case it did want to slide forward. Worked fine until I decided to take it out of the chock. I pulled and yanked and cursed, but the front wheel stayed in the chock and pulled it back with the bike. Couldn't get it out of the chock no matter how hard I tried. I ended up disassembling the chock by removing the moveable part that was behind the wheel. Pain in the butt! That's when I decided to bolt it down.

Thats a better design than the newer ones. I don't like the square stabilizer bar. The angle iron works better and seems more stable once bolted down. Hmm Might have to swap mine out to be like this.

Old Today, 10:22 AM
Soundman5000
Cruiser
Received 194 Likes on 105 Posts

It took me on the bike, my wife and teen son and then my daughter, all of use pushing and pulling HARD, all we had hard to free my new 23 Street Glide from my brand NEW Harbor Freight chock and my chock was bolted to the trailer floor!

I guess now the bike tire has some miles and I have used the chock I am able to release my bike myself or with the help of one person but be aware of that first time! Boy, my wheel was stuck but good! My thinking that may be tuff the first time if the HF chock was not bolted down?
However, I am thinking the same thing as I have an extra HF chock and would be handy in the garage but that first or 2nd time using it...???

Old Today, 10:24 AM
Blackout25
Intermediate

I appreciate all your heads up about the troubles getting back out of it. Ill mess with it a bit and see how it goes before getting in it. maybe some bends or airing down or at worst WD40 lol At least no one has said their ride rolled out and dropped from it!

Old Today, 10:32 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,318 Likes on 1,445 Posts

I use an ATV jack to store my Road King in an upright position. I use my Condor chock for hauling bikes in my utility trailer.

Quick Reply: Harbor freight chock--garage floor?