2024+ Touring Models Discuss the currently offered Touring Models

Throttle 'stiction'

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2024, 05:35 PM
dgarber12771
Advanced
Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Throttle 'stiction'

Was out for a day ride yesterday and noticed that the throttle was 'sticky'. The 24 has a touchy throttle as it is, but when I'm trying to regulate minor changes in throttle input and the thing isn't smooth, it just exasperated it. When I got home I went over it a bit and it was pretty clear to me that the stiction wasn't from grip to bar friction, so that meant it had to be in the twist grip itself.

I took everything apart and found that the assembly has a friction pad that sets friction with a small spring. The whole thing was bathed in what felt/looked like silicone grease, so I cleaned it up and started trying different lubricants.

Graphite powder worked ok, but still no good. Tried copper anti-seize but it was way too thick and actually make the problem worse. Cleaned up everything and tried it with no grease of any kind - it was better, but that friction pad was still 'grabby'. Last attempt I took that friction pad and spring out, cleaned up everything again and this time used spray on teflon lube (I use this on my dirt bike chains). Bingo! Throttle is smooth and I swear the sensitive throttle is soo much easier to regulate now. Did a ride with the wife today and even she noticed a much reduced amount of mini whiskey throttle moments over the many millions of frost heaves around this area.

Here is the inside of the twist grip sensor. The spring/pad assembly to the right is where the majority of the friction was coming from and what I removed entirely. The spring to the left is for forward movement to cancel cruise control, or enable/disable EITS. The sensor appears to be a hall effect type.

Did about 150 miles today and it worked better than I'd hoped.

The following 4 users liked this post by dgarber12771:
CoolBreeze3646 (09-16-2024), dobbz (09-15-2024), HDdrummer (09-16-2024), strokelessone (09-16-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 09:36 PM
dobbz
Intermediate
Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

This always bugged me. Glad someone else feels it and came up with a solution! Thank you for your post =)

Old 09-16-2024, 12:08 AM
Nutty
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dgarber12771
Was out for a day ride yesterday and noticed that the throttle was 'sticky'. The 24 has a touchy throttle as it is, but when I'm trying to regulate minor changes in throttle input and the thing isn't smooth, it just exasperated it. When I got home I went over it a bit and it was pretty clear to me that the stiction wasn't from grip to bar friction, so that meant it had to be in the twist grip itself.

I took everything apart and found that the assembly has a friction pad that sets friction with a small spring. The whole thing was bathed in what felt/looked like silicone grease, so I cleaned it up and started trying different lubricants.

Graphite powder worked ok, but still no good. Tried copper anti-seize but it was way too thick and actually make the problem worse…

…Did about 150 miles today and it worked better than I'd hoped.
Id be wary of using anything conductive or semi-conductive with the electrics. Luckily teflon was the go to, its basically non-conductive.

Old 09-16-2024, 07:54 AM
dgarber12771
Advanced
Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Nutty
Id be wary of using anything conductive or semi-conductive with the electrics. Luckily teflon was the go to, its basically non-conductive.
The entire assembly is plastic, with no way to intrude into the actual sensor itself. The only way to have any access to the electronic part of the sensor would be via the plug.

That said, in principle I agree with you.

Old 09-16-2024, 09:49 AM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 6,154 Likes on 2,212 Posts

I had to fix a throttle issue on my buddy's 24 RG after he installed new bars & grips.
The issue was poor throttle return.

After digging into it a bit, I found that the plastic/rubber protective sleeve that goes over the handlebar wire harness was poking out of the bars with the wires right by the clamshell cover.
When the assembly and cover was tightened, it pushed the protective sleeve on the harness against the throttle mechanism and caused it not to rotate back freely.

I trimmed the rubber sleeve back by about 3/4" and that allowed the wires to lay flat when assembled, eliminating the contact with the rotating throttle mechanism.

The following users liked this post:
Nutty (09-16-2024)
Old 09-16-2024, 01:21 PM
SGWhiskeyFire24
Novice
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the same complaint. I have noticed when it is humid, the problem is worse. I installed the Adversary heated grips a few weeks ago and was anticipating it going away, it did not. I also have issues with the ignition switch. It is on a hair trigger. I have slightly bumped it several times and the engine shuts off. I feel like it should be a stiffer detent.

The following 2 users liked this post by SGWhiskeyFire24:
dgarber12771 (09-16-2024), Nutty (09-16-2024)
Old 09-16-2024, 05:43 PM
Nutty
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SGWhiskeyFire24
I also have issues with the ignition switch. It is on a hair trigger. I have slightly bumped it several times and the engine shuts off. I feel like it should be a stiffer detent.
With you there Brother, a big pothole or a sudden hit on a dirt road turns mine off. I’m getting good at flicking it back on though…🤣