Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2024, 03:25 PM
woodthumb2
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Rear Lights

hey guys... on my limited the rear right bulb has stopped working in the run setting but works for blinking and brake... there is a control board of some sorts behind the main tail light and it is factory altho my indy ( who has not seen the bike yet ) says these are all aftermarket... do u think this is the culprit ? bulb has been replaced.. all works fine on left side just not the right...i cannot find this harley oem part anywhere.. thansk

Old 09-14-2024, 03:39 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,832 Likes on 19,326 Posts

"run setting" ??

Old 09-14-2024, 03:45 PM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 6,163 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Not trying to be snarky, etc. but you'll have to do a lot better with the information you provide in your post if you expect any meaningful responses.

Year/model of bike, along with a pic or 2 of the components that you are describing will go a long way to getting resolution, especially if you cannot determine the parts to be OEM or aftermarket.
As of now, we don't know if this is regarding a factory tombstone light on a '48 or a Custom Dynamics LED light on a '23 CVO.

Nobody can help if they are guessing on the product in question.

Help us help you.

Old 09-14-2024, 03:46 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,208 Likes on 2,304 Posts
Old 09-14-2024, 04:07 PM
woodthumb2
Tourer

Originally Posted by 07UltraGuy
Not trying to be snarky, etc. but you'll have to do a lot better with the information you provide in your post if you expect any meaningful responses.

Year/model of bike, along with a pic or 2 of the components that you are describing will go a long way to getting resolution, especially if you cannot determine the parts to be OEM or aftermarket.
As of now, we don't know if this is regarding a factory tombstone light on a '48 or a Custom Dynamics LED light on a '23 CVO.

Nobody can help if they are guessing on the product in question.

Help us help you.
dont know how to do pictures but bike is a 2012 flhtk... thought that was in my signature... i found the part in my service manual so it is factory. but it does not give a number or what it does... assume it regulates voltage in some way to allow 3 functions of lighting on a single filamint bulb... just dont know how nor can i find this part...but as i stated before... all lighting works as should except the one on the right of rear light bar... and it works fine in brake light mode and blinking mode... gotta be this module or whatever it is i thinkin... someone else has surely experienced this... thansk again

The following users liked this post:
07UltraGuy (09-14-2024)
Old 09-14-2024, 04:17 PM
woodthumb2
Tourer

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
thanks galveston !! love that song... loved that campbell guy... found the part... 68830-99a... now just have to figure out how to get it and if it is the cause... really makes no sense it being anything else i reckon

Old 09-14-2024, 04:54 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,188 Likes on 4,396 Posts

I owned a 2012 FLHTK for several years and updated the the OEM turn signals to LEDs. There is no OEM part, from the factory, that causes the rear turn signals to function as run, turn, and brake lights.

Your Indy is most likely correct in his assumption.

The part you referenced does not make the rear turn signals function as running lights or stop lights. It is just the circuit board that the various rear lights plug into, when they function as designed from the factory. I'm not saying there cannot be an issue with that part, but the fact that the rear turn signal in question functions at all, suggests that circuit board is fine. You should know how the OEM system works, so you can diagnose just what part(s) may be causing the problem. It will avoid possibly buying an unneeded part.

This is how the lights are designed to work:

The rear turn signals are single filament #1156 bulbs. They only work as flashing turn signals, with amber lenses from the factory.

The front turn signals are dual filament #1157 bulbs. They work as both running lights and flashing turn signals, with amber lenses from the factory.

To get the rear turn signals to act as all three; running lights, turn signals, and brake lights... You need to add a run/turn/brake module. The module plugs inline between two connectors, the connector for the main harness that plugs into the connector for the rear lights harness. That connection is under the seat, cam plate side, back by the rear fender. That module varies the voltage to the single filament rear turn signal bulbs, to allow them to function like dual filament bulbs.

If your rear turn signals were functioning as run/turn/brake, and now one is only functioning as turn and brake, the wiring has an issue, or the R/T/B module has failed.

I would find that connection and remove any module (HD accessory or aftermarket) plugged in between the two connectors mentioned.

If the lights return to how they are supposed to function from the factory, then the module has failed, time for a new module.

If the lights still have an issue, then I would investigate the wires, connectors, bulbs, sockets, etc., that are aft of that connection for an issue (ie: shorted wire, broken wire, bad connection, etc).

Good luck and report to us what you find....

Last edited by hattitude; 09-14-2024 at 05:16 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by hattitude:
07UltraGuy (09-14-2024), 14GuineaPig (09-15-2024), GalvTexGuy (09-15-2024)
Old 09-14-2024, 05:03 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,633 Likes on 1,165 Posts

I had that RUN/BRAKE/TURN module on my '13 King and it stopped working. That's when I switched everything to the Custom Dynamics LEDs, including the tail light to the low profile lens. The smart EQ from Custom Dynamics has other features than just a load EQ and makes the turns a run/brake/turn. Everything has a lifetime warranty, or until CD goes belly-up. Now's the time to make the jump to LED.

I didn't think this H-D run/brake/turn module was factory. My King certainly didn't come with it.

Last edited by RKZen; 09-14-2024 at 05:11 PM.
hattitude (09-14-2024)
Old 09-14-2024, 05:20 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,188 Likes on 4,396 Posts

Originally Posted by RKZen

I didn't think this H-D run/brake/turn module was factory. My King certainly didn't come with it.

It is not on bikes from the factory.

It is from the Parts and Accessory Catalog, and is either dealer added or customer added after the bike is delivered from the factory......

RKZen (09-14-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 06:23 AM
woodthumb2
Tourer

Originally Posted by hattitude
I owned a 2012 FLHTK for several years and updated the the OEM turn signals to LEDs. There is no OEM part, from the factory, that causes the rear turn signals to function as run, turn, and brake lights.

Your Indy is most likely correct in his assumption.

The part you referenced does not make the rear turn signals function as running lights or stop lights. It is just the circuit board that the various rear lights plug into, when they function as designed from the factory. I'm not saying there cannot be an issue with that part, but the fact that the rear turn signal in question functions at all, suggests that circuit board is fine. You should know how the OEM system works, so you can diagnose just what part(s) may be causing the problem. It will avoid possibly buying an unneeded part.

This is how the lights are designed to work:

The rear turn signals are single filament #1156 bulbs. They only work as flashing turn signals, with amber lenses from the factory.

The front turn signals are dual filament #1157 bulbs. They work as both running lights and flashing turn signals, with amber lenses from the factory.

To get the rear turn signals to act as all three; running lights, turn signals, and brake lights... You need to add a run/turn/brake module. The module plugs inline between two connectors, the connector for the main harness that plugs into the connector for the rear lights harness. That connection is under the seat, cam plate side, back by the rear fender. That module varies the voltage to the single filament rear turn signal bulbs, to allow them to function like dual filament bulbs.

If your rear turn signals were functioning as run/turn/brake, and now one is only functioning as turn and brake, the wiring has an issue, or the R/T/B module has failed.

I would find that connection and remove any module (HD accessory or aftermarket) plugged in between the two connectors mentioned.

If the lights return to how they are supposed to function from the factory, then the module has failed, time for a new module.

If the lights still have an issue, then I would investigate the wires, connectors, bulbs, sockets, etc., that are aft of that connection for an issue (ie: shorted wire, broken wire, bad connection, etc).

Good luck and report to us what you find....
thank u thank u ... always learning something on here... i will check under seat for that part.. starting to understand now that i see the access. kit complete with red lenses... wow... never knew this was not factory set up...great help u guys... always preciate ya

Quick Reply: Rear Lights