Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

What to do for black 2020 trike and new bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2024, 09:47 AM
Powermankw
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 73 Posts
Default What to do for black 2020 trike and new bike?

OK, so noob. Read a bunch, had no idea. I am an experienced and expert rabbit hole explorer and would like to retire from that.

The wife's 2020 trike was a bit rough when we got it. Just normal McGuires med/light compound and Turtle polish and ceramic got it looking new again, but not perfect. I have plans for getting it perfect over the winter and protected for next season.

I got my 2023 Lowrider ST at end of the year and already have 10K. I did the same stuff except compound... But now with washing and drying... I want better than new.

Willing to get a buffer... My hands will appriciate. Willing to get all OCD and no touch wash/dry. I'm super obsessive and **** so that isn't a problem. I just don't know all the products. I have no problem spending money, but even I balk at Polish Angel. I'll use it if it's worth it, but wow. I understand it takes very little. Obviously I want to use same stuff for both black bikes... I am just trying to avoid buying entire product lines with a lot I don't need. OK... So what is going to get me better than new???

Old 09-12-2024, 09:54 AM
Powermankw
Tourer

Side question... On a trip it was raining. We went through an area with dirt and stuff on the road. Well my Lowrider with no protection got covered... Now I can't get it off the engine. The aluminum, not the wrinkle black covered stuff. It's a deposit. I got serious yesterday and used some CLR, but didn't do as good as hoped. Next was going to be vinegar.

Any other suggestions? It's on pretty good and that rough finish is hell to clean... Especially all the little nooks and crannies. I know no harsh chemicals... But it's gotta go!

And when I do get it off... Anything to protect better and help cleaning in the future... To keep it looking black?

Last edited by Powermankw; 09-12-2024 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Powermankw
Tourer

I'm using that stuff. It did such a good job, I want to find better.

Old 09-12-2024, 01:00 PM
Gizmo83
Road Master
Received 567 Likes on 310 Posts

For a polisher, I highly recommend the Griot's Garage cordless micro polisher. The adjustable head angle makes polishing tight areas easy. Get the optional 5mm orbit attachment. I like their Boss polishes, too. As for protection, stick with something synthetic. I use everything from the aforementioned Polish Angel (yeah, it's expensive but it's so easy to use and the results are amazing) to Zaino to Ammo NYC and everything in between. You'll get a lot of ceramic coating suggestions and they're great, but they're not for everybody.

The following users liked this post:
Powermankw (09-12-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 03:25 PM
Powermankw
Tourer

Adjustable angle head price is a little steep. IDK how hard it is to get to stuff. Most everything is pretty easy to get to, or take off. But the micro is probably the way to go. The trike has some large areas, but still lots of small stuff. And it's the trike that needs more attention. It definitely needs some correction. Mine I can get away with fine or finish cut to get it cleaned up.

Old 09-13-2024, 06:42 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,213 Likes on 802 Posts

As far as polishers, I have a griots and it does the job. I prefer my Flex 3401. Big, heavy and never stops spinning, forced rotation. Both good machines, my preference is the Flex. If you REALLY like spending money, here you go. Video of a guy using it on YouTube and it was crazy how smooth and quiet it is.
https://buymirka.com/collections/pol...ttery-arop312b

You are going to find out with black it's not just product but technique that plays a big part in the outcome. If your's are vivid black, the clear is usually really soft. Makes it easy to correct, but a lot more difficult to finish down properly. Proper technique, good products will get you what you're use looking for.

Just as important as getting the paint right, is keeping it that way. Proper washing and drying techniques are super important afterwards

The following users liked this post:
Powermankw (09-13-2024)
Old 09-13-2024, 06:49 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,097 Likes on 3,648 Posts

I have a 21 black Tri glide. I am not really **** about keeping it spotless but I like it fairly clean. I recently installed Harley paint protection film on it I mainly was worried about the fenders so I did the rear first. I probably will order a roll of the 3M film but a good cleaning product like a they recommended here is important . The black on the engine is tricky but the engine brightened from HD works pretty good. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2024, 09:59 AM
Powermankw
Tourer

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
As far as polishers, I have a griots and it does the job. I prefer my Flex 3401. Big, heavy and never stops spinning, forced rotation. Both good machines, my preference is the Flex. If you REALLY like spending money, here you go. Video of a guy using it on YouTube and it was crazy how smooth and quiet it is.
https://buymirka.com/collections/pol...ttery-arop312b

You are going to find out with black it's not just product but technique that plays a big part in the outcome. If your's are vivid black, the clear is usually really soft. Makes it easy to correct, but a lot more difficult to finish down properly. Proper technique, good products will get you what you're use looking for.

Just as important as getting the paint right, is keeping it that way. Proper washing and drying techniques are super important afterwards
Thank you!

Ya, I like good tools, but if I'm not using them professionally, sky is not the limit. 😊

So yes, vivid black... If the clear is really soft, then what compound? On mine, swirls are relatively light. Just doing the hybrid solutions polish by hand cleans up a lot. Probably a finishing polish would be enough? Would Mcguire's medium cut be plenty for trike... That needs some work?

Looking at polishing... I grew up painting and my dad's specialty was high gloss enamel that looked as deep as a pane of glass, so I get technique.... Get it polished and refined. So what are you talking about getting it finished properly? Finishing the polish properly, or after that... The finish? What is your plan of attack for that?

And yes, doing the work, I don't want to ruin it and cause more. I do try to keep my towels clean... But it's all touch touch touch. All the stuff on my bike I bought new... Well that's all me. So I will do what's necessary to maintain it when done. I ordered some Car Pro stuff to wash and prep. I got some clay/ironx/eraser... The reset is just for normal washing right? Does it matter that it's not ceramic coated? Good for everything?

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-13-2024, 10:11 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,213 Likes on 802 Posts

Reset is good for everything. My favorite soap actually.
Finishing on soft black paint can be tricky. My '09 was a lot softer then a '22 I did, impossible to say what yours is like.
I have spent thousands on CarPro products over the years, it's a side gig for me. Reflect on a their gloss pad is one of my favorite combos. Essence is also very very good.
Their 2 Face towels I use almost exclusivly now. Those towels wet with a rinseless wash to wipe down the polish is great ifs super soft.

Phoenix Papa Cut is a nice medium cut polish Ive been using lately. Hard to say what you will need without doing a test spot.

Old 09-13-2024, 10:11 AM
Powermankw
Tourer

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I have a 21 black Tri glide. I am not really **** about keeping it spotless but I like it fairly clean. I recently installed Harley paint protection film on it I mainly was worried about the fenders so I did the rear first. I probably will order a roll of the 3M film but a good cleaning product like a they recommended here is important . The black on the engine is tricky but the engine brightened from HD works pretty good. Good luck.
So loading it on the trailer, I scratched the fender... Pretty good. It had a bra. Needed a new one. So now fender bras are on to cover that. I'm not a fan of bras, but my screw up makes it necessary. I have thought about fixing it myself, but thought just buying a new fender would make more sense. I looked at removal, but it looks like there is tape used in addition to screws so didn't want to get into that at the time.

Point is, yes I think film would be much nicer. Bras are sandpaper. And those fenders are just so flat, wide, and low. I have a couple chips on the flat front body panels and those are relatively protected just being close in. Now rear is probably all I would do. While film is better, it's still film. Paint is best. I don't know how crazy I would get with film.

Quick Reply: What to do for black 2020 trike and new bike?