Sponsored by:

New M8 128 Build dripping oil from the throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2024, 02:29 PM
SlimSlimQA
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New M8 128 Build dripping oil from the throttle body

I have an issue that i can wrap my head around , this is a brand new build that i assembled myself and did everything by the book and double checked everything and everything looks fine and the motor sounds healthy . its band new everything .

- welded balanced crank , carrilo rods
- 128 BB A1 kit 11:1
- Stock heads (had them fully refreshed)
- crankcase breather, vented dipstick , vented AC.
- fueling umbrella valves.
- full s&s cam chest w/57x cam (shop67)
- SC pushrods.
- s&s rocker studs

and the list goes on.
every gasket, every bolt , every oring has been replaced on everything a spared nothing.

and for the most part i have no leaks nothing abnormal, got a FM base map in it just to heat cycle it and oil pressure looks good @60psi on startup and the bike idles and sounds great and healthy

i unbolted the entire AC to check if the breathers are pushing oil into the TB but looks dry and the oil is coming out of the TB only but the intake manifold looks dry.

i just dont know why when i turn off the bike after a short heat cycle i see some oil coming out .

its really annoying the hell out of me i spared nothing on this build trying to make it as clean as possible.

hoping someone can get to the bottom of the because im out of ideas

Old 09-11-2024, 10:29 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,336 Likes on 4,764 Posts

Originally Posted by SlimSlimQA
I have an issue that i can wrap my head around , this is a brand new build that i assembled myself and did everything by the book and double checked everything and everything looks fine and the motor sounds healthy . its band new everything .

- welded balanced crank , carrilo rods
- 128 BB A1 kit 11:1
- Stock heads (had them fully refreshed)
- crankcase breather, vented dipstick , vented AC.
- fueling umbrella valves.
- full s&s cam chest w/57x cam (shop67)
- SC pushrods.
- s&s rocker studs

and the list goes on.
every gasket, every bolt , every oring has been replaced on everything a spared nothing.

and for the most part i have no leaks nothing abnormal, got a FM base map in it just to heat cycle it and oil pressure looks good @60psi on startup and the bike idles and sounds great and healthy

i unbolted the entire AC to check if the breathers are pushing oil into the TB but looks dry and the oil is coming out of the TB only but the intake manifold looks dry.

i just dont know why when i turn off the bike after a short heat cycle i see some oil coming out .

its really annoying the hell out of me i spared nothing on this build trying to make it as clean as possible.

hoping someone can get to the bottom of the because im out of ideas
what AC? did you inspect the o-rings or gasket from the TB? maybe an o-ring got destroyed or was missed on the install

Old 09-11-2024, 11:10 PM
SlimSlimQA
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mjwebb
what AC? did you inspect the o-rings or gasket from the TB? maybe an o-ring got destroyed or was missed on the install
just a SE oval ventilator with a DIY external breather mod .
orings looks fine plus its a brand new SE 64mm intake/TB

my concern is that how would the TB drip oil when the head breathers are not even connected to the TB . it feels like its coming thru the intake but only when the bike gets turned off

Old 09-12-2024, 12:28 AM
Firedude2
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts

How much oil did you put in it?

Old 09-12-2024, 02:24 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,923 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Could be residual oil from the build working its way out.
Even on a careful build there is no guarantee of a 100% oil free intake. You can add a new VVT trans cover won't hurt and then it's possible to block the breather holes in the heads and not use your expensive breathers.
Like stated, make sure your oil level is no more than 1/2 way on the dipstick.

Old 09-12-2024, 03:59 AM
SlimSlimQA
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Firedude2
How much oil did you put in it?
about 4.3 quarts

Old 09-12-2024, 07:00 AM
SlimSlimQA
6th Gear

Originally Posted by OldMike
Could be residual oil from the build working its way out.
Even on a careful build there is no guarantee of a 100% oil free intake. You can add a new VVT trans cover won't hurt and then it's possible to block the breather holes in the heads and not use your expensive breathers.
Like stated, make sure your oil level is no more than 1/2 way on the dipstick.
i doubt its residual from the fresh build , can you elaborate more on the VVT trans cover . i have everything pretty much externally vented, trans top cover , AC and dip stick, and my oil level checks out to be fine 4.3 quarts is alittle more for my liking but the bike is only heat cycling not much load on it at all

Old 09-12-2024, 09:04 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Deleted..

Last edited by fordhd2005; 09-12-2024 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-12-2024, 10:38 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,923 Likes on 1,257 Posts

So, you have a vented trans cover, the Harley 2024 VVT cover has an oil separator but probably not a solution. Sounds like you have it all covered, what I wrote is all I’ve got. I’d run it and let things like rings and valve seals seat. I wouldn’t say you have a problem since we don’t know how much oil you’re talking about.

Old 09-12-2024, 11:31 AM
SlimSlimQA
6th Gear

Originally Posted by OldMike
So, you have a vented trans cover, the Harley 2024 VVT cover has an oil separator but probably not a solution. Sounds like you have it all covered, what I wrote is all I’ve got. I’d run it and let things like rings and valve seals seat. I wouldn’t say you have a problem since we don’t know how much oil you’re talking about.

im honestly suspecting the same this that the rings haven't seated yet because the bike hasn't really seen any high rpm just idles up to temp right now . hopefully here in a couple of weeks when it hits the dyno it will see some load and i will definitely monitor it

Quick Reply: New M8 128 Build dripping oil from the throttle body