Sponsored by:

Well looks like my Stator crapped out

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2024, 06:06 PM
Crashrdking01
Tourer
Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Well looks like my Stator crapped out

I have did the research on her about stator issues ...so I know to also go ahead and change out the VR ...so now it comes down to which one I need to buy....I have a 2014 Road King with the 103ho (I don't know if that even matters) and I also run a bluetooth amp and 4 speakers...and it has ran flawless like that for 3 years....just put in a new Deka battery last month....
So I have been looking at Cycle electric,Harley,and Drag Specialty...looking more towards Cycle electric....any advice would be appreciated....TIA

Old 09-09-2024, 06:30 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,175 Likes on 4,387 Posts

I would go with OEM or Cycle Electric.....

Nothing really wrong with OEM, but between the two of those, I would go with Cycle Electric.

Great company, great products, and really good customer service.

Besides, their replacement for your VR (#CE-608) hangs from the upper cross member on the front frame down tubes. That keeps it up and away from the oil cooler and the heat it radiates. That should help it last longer..

The following users liked this post:
Crashrdking01 (09-09-2024)
Old 09-09-2024, 06:33 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,076 Likes on 2,037 Posts

My stock voltage regulator on my 08 road king went 75k and my stator went about 80k...yup probably should have just done them both at the same time but the regulator went out while I was in laconia a few years back. I changed it in the dealers parking lot and I don't think I had enough tools to do the stator with me lol. I guess my point is the stock ones were pretty reliable in my opinion. I've also heard great things about cycle electric and I'd probably go that way in future if the need arises.

Crashrdking01 (09-09-2024)
Old 09-10-2024, 09:37 PM
Crashrdking01
Tourer

Originally Posted by hattitude
I would go with OEM or Cycle Electric.....

Nothing really wrong with OEM, but between the two of those, I would go with Cycle Electric.

Great company, great products, and really good customer service.

Besides, their replacement for your VR (#CE-608) hangs from the upper cross member on the front frame down tubes. That keeps it up and away from the oil cooler and the heat it radiates. That should help it last longer..
Ok...thx is this a fair deal on a VR ? And is it the correct one ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14342707086...mis&media=COPY

Last edited by Crashrdking01; 09-10-2024 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-10-2024, 09:42 PM
Crashrdking01
Tourer

Well I went with this Stator and I'm wondering is this the best VR to go with ? https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/produ...and-flt-models

​​
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143427070865?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=V8lCPjD-TAy&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=3P-rsaHdQXy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Old 09-11-2024, 08:25 AM
Germansheperd
Road Warrior
Received 878 Likes on 515 Posts

So the stock Harley stuff went 10 years and who knows how many miles? I’d just put new Harley stuff in and it will outlast the bike. Everyone goes aftermarket trying to reinvent the wheel and they are almost ALWAYS chasing electrical gremlins shortly thereafter.

bradsULtd (09-13-2024)
Old 09-11-2024, 08:31 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 840 Likes on 577 Posts

The Cycle electric stuff is not some cheap aftermarket part. They are top shelf and most would consider it an upgrade. I myself would take the Cycle Electric any day over the OEM.

Old 09-11-2024, 08:41 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,761 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by Germansheperd
So the stock Harley stuff went 10 years and who knows how many miles? I’d just put new Harley stuff in and it will outlast the bike. Everyone goes aftermarket trying to reinvent the wheel and they are almost ALWAYS chasing electrical gremlins shortly thereafter.
You have not compared, in person, the Cycle Electric to the HD one have you. The windings on the Cycle Electric ones are heavier gauge than the HD version. The regulators are more efficient than the HD ones.

"A more efficient approach to rectifying regulators.
To control voltage on Harley-Davidson alternators other rectifier regulators dump current to ground. This causes maximum stator current and temperature at all times. Cycle Electric rectifying regulators block current to control voltage. This reduces stator current resulting in lower temperature and less drag on the motor which means more efficient operation. The largest and most noticeable benefit is a smoother charge to the battery. This means less battery maintenance and longer battery life."

Old 09-11-2024, 09:11 AM
Crashrdking01
Tourer

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
You have not compared, in person, the Cycle Electric to the HD one have you. The windings on the Cycle Electric ones are heavier gauge than the HD version. The regulators are more efficient than the HD ones.

"A more efficient approach to rectifying regulators.
To control voltage on Harley-Davidson alternators other rectifier regulators dump current to ground. This causes maximum stator current and temperature at all times. Cycle Electric rectifying regulators block current to control voltage. This reduces stator current resulting in lower temperature and less drag on the motor which means more efficient operation. The largest and most noticeable benefit is a smoother charge to the battery. This means less battery maintenance and longer battery life."
So by chance did you see where I'm asking to see if I have the correct VR? I already purchased the CE stator...its in an above post with links...any help would be appreciated tia

Old 09-11-2024, 10:44 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,761 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashrdking01
So by chance did you see where I'm asking to see if I have the correct VR? I already purchased the CE stator...its in an above post with links...any help would be appreciated tia
Buy the CE regulator for the stator. I would call or email CE if I was not sure what regulator to use with their stator.

Quick Reply: Well looks like my Stator crapped out