Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2024, 02:09 PM
COOSMAN
Advanced
Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Considering a Fatboy

My first Harley was a 2004 Fatboy. I put a lot into that bike from form to function. Lots of chrome and eventually a 120" motor that was really fast. Long story I won't bother you with I ended up selling it and have regretted that decision ever since. Have had a few bikes since which includes the 2020 Road Glide Limited that is now in my garage. I love this bike. It does what it was intended to do very well.....touring and doing so with my wife riding as a passenger. I'll be keeping it.

But I still miss the Fatboy. There's something just fun about jumping on the smaller and lighter bike for solo rides just bopping around town. I do prefer the looks of the older TC bikes, the fender design was great. They gave the bike a more retro look that I like better than the M8 models.

So here's what I'm considering at the moment:

2016 Fatboy with a 103" Twin Cam
I came across a used one at a dirtbike/ATV dealer. I would guess someone traded it in for one of their off road toys. Looks to be from one of those guys that were infatuated with Harleys but then after a short period of time they stopped riding it. There's less than 3000 miles on the bike. The list price is pretty good and the dealer indicated they're willing to negotiate, and likely because of the following:

1. The bike supposedly went thru detail when it was traded in. That was very hard to tell as other than the tins, everything was covered in dirt. It's like the bike was left outdoors for one of our dirt storms we have here in the Phoenix area. When I looked at the bike, I had to ask the salesman if they cleaned it. He was pretty surprised himself at just how dirty it was and said well they were supposed to have.

2. While the tires are basically new in regards to tread life, they're at least 8 years old. I don't care about the tread usage, I'm not going to ride on tires that old, especially if the bike was left outside for the sun to beat on them. Frankly I think the shop should know this and had new tires already put on the bike.

3. There are some unexplained chips in the paint and on the right side tank emblem. These can't be explained by loose grit or rocks out on the road as the chips are in places that it's just not possible without defying physics for it to be that. There are no chips in the front fender which you'd think would be the most vulnerable to such wear. Outside of the emblem, the chips are mostly on the rear of the rear fender. It does make me wonder again if the bike was kept uncovered outside. When we get our dry windy storms it can be a total brown out with all the sand, dust and debris flying about. Maybe that would explain the paint damage.

Not sure how much they're willing to negotiate on the price, but maybe enough to put this bike into the shape it should be in for such low mileage. But those thoughts of what else might be wrong with a previous owner not taking much pride in his ride are hard to set aside.

2022 114" M8 Fatboy
So if I can put my preference for the older style fenders aside I could go this direction. For those of you have one of the M8 models, I don't think they're ugly I just prefer the older version, the new model is still a great looking bike. This particular one has a color scheme I really like. It has less than 1200 miles on it, so just barely broken in. The bike is out of state and I've not seen it in person, but the picture the HD dealer has of it look good. It does seem priced very well, well enough that I'm not sure if there's much if any wiggle room they'll have on the price.

The upside of this bike is that it's an M8 and in a year where hopefully those initial bugs in the new motor were worked out. I suspect there are other improvements to this bike from the 2016 too that I'm ignorant of. I really can't think of much downside to going this direction outside of the price. It would likely be about $5K more depending on what it cost me to put the 2016 back into the shape it should be. This 2022 requires nothing, it's ready to go as is. I would do the common upgrades in AC/cams/pipes and a tune, but that's the case with both bikes.

So if it were you and you were deciding between these two, which one would you go with and why?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Old 09-08-2024, 03:22 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 604 Likes on 439 Posts

I ride a TC Fatboy with the 200 rear tire and I'm not sure I'd want wider tires. If you want a TC Fatboy keep looking and The right bike will come along but I'd pass on the 2016 you described.

The following users liked this post:
MarlinSpike (09-09-2024)
Old 09-08-2024, 03:36 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts

I'd get the 2022 hands down - no comparison. I has the new chassis that's 23 lbs lighter, single easy adjust rear shock and a much better engine.
I've had them both so that my two cents.

Old 09-08-2024, 03:53 PM
cobra23
Road Captain
Received 522 Likes on 286 Posts

I would get the 22. I just bought a 24 Fat Boy and it is light years ahead of my 16 Fat boy S. The 24 has more power, handles better, and has better brakes. The twin cams also put out a lot more heat.

The following users liked this post:
Smiles (09-08-2024)
Old 09-08-2024, 06:12 PM
David Earl Cox
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2019 Heritage Classic with the 114 now. My first ride on it, coming from a TC 96, was an eye opener regarding the responsiveness and power. The M8 seems to be a fine running engine. If the price is good, I'd say go with the '22 as I don't think you'll have reason to regret it.

Old 09-09-2024, 11:50 AM
Xlr8n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The new chassis alone would make me buy the '22 over the TC.

Old 09-09-2024, 12:31 PM
Soundman5000
Cruiser
Received 186 Likes on 100 Posts

I had a post recently about my wife wanting a Fat Boy as her first bike, I got educated quick on the pros and cons of a Fat Boy but I have never ridden a Fat Boy, She decided on a 19 Sport Glide with 2K miles and the 107M8. Her choice on the Sport Glide was not that its better than a Fat Boy but perhaps a better first bike and it did it a lower price point. I do believe she will own a Fat Boy one day as she loves a Fat Boy!

After doing all my research on the Fat Boy I personally would only consider the M8 based on I know how to service a EVO and a M8 but have never owned a TC.
I own a 2023 M8 Street Glide and I'm a fan of the M8! I can turn a wrench and I have a independent shop but doing my bike search I ran into a large mega Harley Dealer that WILL NOT service a bike over 10 years old so if Harley service is important to you I would research that when buying.

I will say I love riding her Sport Glide as it reminds me in a way of what I loved about my 1200 Sportster bun none of what I din't like about my Sportster.
As the owner if a 23 Street Glide ( very top heavy for me) I have truly enjoyed riding her bike around town as it just that much fun, I'm gonna get a ticket if I don't stop with the fun, I'm thinking that Fat Boy may offer that same kinda fun.
Good luck with your search OP!

Last edited by Soundman5000; 09-09-2024 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-09-2024, 10:02 PM
COOSMAN
Advanced
Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Soundman5000
I had a post recently about my wife wanting a Fat Boy as her first bike, I got educated quick on the pros and cons of a Fat Boy but I have never ridden a Fat Boy, She decided on a 19 Sport Glide with 2K miles and the 107M8. Her choice on the Sport Glide was not that its better than a Fat Boy but perhaps a better first bike and it did it a lower price point. I do believe she will own a Fat Boy one day as she loves a Fat Boy!

After doing all my research on the Fat Boy I personally would only consider the M8 based on I know how to service a EVO and a M8 but have never owned a TC.
I own a 2023 M8 Street Glide and I'm a fan of the M8! I can turn a wrench and I have a independent shop but doing my bike search I ran into a large mega Harley Dealer that WILL NOT service a bike over 10 years old so if Harley service is important to you I would research that when buying.

I will say I love riding her Sport Glide as it reminds me in a way of what I loved about my 1200 Sportster bun none of what I din't like about my Sportster.
As the owner if a 23 Street Glide ( very top heavy for me) I have truly enjoyed riding her bike around town as it just that much fun, I'm gonna get a ticket if I don't stop with the fun, I'm thinking that Fat Boy may offer that same kinda fun.
Good luck with your search OP!
Actually in searching around yesterday I read that post about your wife, I found myself actually hoping she'd go with the Fatboy. My '04 was my street bike and obviously Harley. They sit so low that I really never found it difficult to learn.

Your last paragraph says it all. I love my RG for those 300-400 mile round trip overnight weekend rides I do with my wife. I won't sell that one at least not anytime soon. But there's just something about the easy riding of a softtail for shorter rides that I love.

Thanks for the replies gents, I'm definitely leaning to the M8 now.