Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Winter Storage coming up soon Time for Engine oil, should I do all 3 holes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2024, 02:00 PM
SGSGUY
Advanced
Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts
Question Winter Storage coming up soon Time for Engine oil, should I do all 3 holes?

Question: My 2022 Street Glide Special is going into HD next week for Engine oil/filter change (I do 4,000 kilometers on engine and at 8,000 kilometers all 3 holes) it only has 3,600 kilometers since last 3 hole change so I only need the engine oil changed and a new oil filter. Would you still do all 3 since it will sit on a hoist all winter? or leave the other two alone since it has such low miles on them? My garage is heated as our Canadian winters are brutally cold.

Appreciate the input.

My thoughts are to do all 3, I'm curious as to what you'd do.

Old 09-07-2024, 03:37 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 838 Likes on 614 Posts

I personally always store on clean engine oil and have a fresh start for spring. I’d not worry about the P and T wintering as is.

The following 2 users liked this post by Weeboy1:
SGSGUY (09-07-2024), Steelie68 (09-09-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 03:51 PM
SGSGUY
Advanced

Thanks Weeboy1, you make sense; and save me some cents too :-)

Old 09-07-2024, 03:58 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,966 Likes on 4,159 Posts

I wouldn't. It won't hurt it setting a few months and in the spring,catch it 4000k. Since it's under warranty however, do the time if that is exceeded.

May even catch a pretty dry warm day to ride.

That 4000 k is way under the Harley manual with synthetic in the engine or even conventional is way over kill.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-07-2024 at 04:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SGSGUY (09-07-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 04:03 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts

I change it per the service manual. Every 5k for the engine oil, every 10k for the primary, and every 20k transmission.

SGSGUY (09-07-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 04:20 PM
SGSGUY
Advanced

Jackie Paper, thanks for your input. I understand my 4 & 8 is overkill, but this is my last bike I'll ever buy. I have extended warranty to 2027. I'm 59 years old and for the extra $ I spend on overkill oil changes it gives me peace of mind knowing clean oil is sloshing around everywhere. I hope to ride into my early 80's on this bike........that's my plan God willing. If not, then I can sell it to someone who knows it was Babied and they can do what they want with it, but she'll still be purring like it was on day one.

Steelie68 (09-08-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 04:44 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,966 Likes on 4,159 Posts

Originally Posted by SGSGUY
Jackie Paper, thanks for your input. I understand my 4 & 8 is overkill, but this is my last bike I'll ever buy. I have extended warranty to 2027. I'm 59 years old and for the extra $ I spend on overkill oil changes it gives me peace of mind knowing clean oil is sloshing around everywhere. I hope to ride into my early 80's on this bike........that's my plan God willing. If not, then I can sell it to someone who knows it was Babied and they can do what they want with it, but she'll still be purring like it was on day one.
I am with you but a little ahead. At 76, I use to do that, but after numerous overhauls and seeing what new purchased cars look like under the valve cover at 10,000 miles US oil changes and my 100,000 valve check and plug replacement, on synthetic oil Moblie 1 20k oil, they look brand new.

Absolutely no chain stretch and cam timing dead on. Even the solid valve lifter was actually still in tolerance but at the max for the exhaust (you could hear it slightly) Honda cars.

Now I did 5k or so on the Harley. Never went by time. Still own it and getting ready to change the fuel. (6 months) And run it till it in the neighborhood till warm. I parked it at 50k still runs like new.

We are heading south and won't see it till baseball season in the spring if I am still lucky. Envious of that ride to 80. After breaking my ball off the femur head in July of 23, my bike days are over except that little ride in the neighborhood.

Probably won't sell it. My son will probably take it when he takes over here permanently.

PS.. all that said. I always changed all three holes. The oil in the primary transmission still looked new but is always if you get it warm from running and change it quick, I have always see metal in it.

Just two quarts of Formula +. I used full synthetic regular 15W-50 Mobile 1 in engine. It worked fine in a Z28 I pulled the head with a blow head gasket (Aluminum block) ...that had way over 100,000 US miles on it and it was still strong.

Warm fuzzy filling however are mostly what it's about and important.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-07-2024 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-07-2024, 07:40 PM
SGSGUY
Advanced

Jackie Paper, sorry to hear of your leg injury. I appreciate your knowledge from having more experience than I have. Interesting how we went from should I just do engine oil change or all 3 holes now this morphed into synthetic oil vs traditional HD oil. I am on the fence if I'm just doing engine oil or all 3 holes next service before the snow flies. Now; the HD oil vs Synthetic. I'm not a mechanic, this is to me my dream bike I'll ride until I can't, and I want the best oil in it. I asked this question on day one to the master mechanic who only works on my bike (has 18, 000 kilometers on it now - 11,200 MILES in USA talk) he tells me use HD oil, thicker and better protection for our Canadian environment, Parts guys same thing - so that's what I use the OEM HD oils. Not to open a can of worms, I'm hoping I made the right choice and if I didn't I am still early enough to change. I assume this will ignite lots of input of HD oil vs synthetic. I will say I own an Escalade and Cadillac CT4 both of which I run full synthetic oils on. Why don't I on a 40k Harley? because they told me not to LOL

Old 09-07-2024, 09:01 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,253 Likes on 1,784 Posts

I change mine based on mileage. I get the idea if you are close, changing, and not having to think about it next year. I also get some people just change yearly. I change all 3 holes at 5k.

I do make a point , especially end of year to avoid short rides, and to get the oil hot to cook out moisture.

Last edited by Rounders; 09-07-2024 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-08-2024, 06:32 AM
cobra23
Road Captain
Received 522 Likes on 286 Posts

To do the extra two holes will cost about $40 for good synthetics. How can that hurt?

Steelie68 (09-08-2024)

Quick Reply: Winter Storage coming up soon Time for Engine oil, should I do all 3 holes?