Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Who’s tried Variable pressure plates for stock Harley clutches?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2024, 05:24 PM
Rains2much
Road Warrior
Received 1,645 Likes on 785 Posts
Default Who’s tried Variable pressure plates for stock Harley clutches?

I really love my Rivera Primo Pro clutch with variable pressure plate, holds real well on my 127 motor. Pull on the clutch is close to stock.

So I’m thinking about trying the ones you see on Ebay.. they fit right on a factory clutch. They advertise they offer 40% more force. That could be true. Combine this with aftermarket clutches that also provide more surface area with a stock basket and you might really have something.

So before I become a Guinea pig, anybody try them?

I tire of putting in the disclaimer sentences… but they prove to be needed: I don’t need a bunch of stupid comments like stock is all you need and your waisting your money… unless you’ve tried it I doubt you know. And I DO NEED more clutch than stock. Stock is insufficient for my purpose built bikes.

Last edited by Rains2much; 09-05-2024 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-05-2024, 05:43 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,984 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Think CanadianRocky ran one like for a while, might hunt him up.

The following users liked this post:
Rains2much (09-05-2024)
Old 09-05-2024, 06:00 PM
Rains2much
Road Warrior

@CanadianRocky what says you?

Old 09-06-2024, 12:18 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,940 Likes on 4,026 Posts

I've run a AIM VPC92 on an 02 RK and hated it.. It would likely be OK with some tuning at the track to get limited slip off the line and better hookup but at 5500 RPM the lever was a real workout.. I took it out.. A better one might have been one smaller weights but the one I got was recommended by an person that sold a lot of them.. I figures it might work OK for the strip to get off the line but it would have to be clutchless shifts after that.

I also tried a BDL version on my bobber with the 3 inch open belt primary. The problem with it was that the clutch slipped too much and wouldn't hook up. bike has got a fairly stout 113 ci motor in it an normally uses 10 of the 12 locations to work well. Less and it will slip. The problem with the BDL was that you had to go to 6 springs when installing the VPC. I could have tried adding weight to the centrifugal fingers but gave up.

Old 09-06-2024, 05:41 AM
Rains2much
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I've run a AIM VPC92 on an 02 RK and hated it.. It would likely be OK with some tuning at the track to get limited slip off the line and better hookup but at 5500 RPM the lever was a real workout.. I took it out.. A better one might have been one smaller weights but the one I got was recommended by an person that sold a lot of them.. I figures it might work OK for the strip to get off the line but it would have to be clutchless shifts after that.

I also tried a BDL version on my bobber with the 3 inch open belt primary. The problem with it was that the clutch slipped too much and wouldn't hook up. bike has got a fairly stout 113 ci motor in it an normally uses 10 of the 12 locations to work well. Less and it will slip. The problem with the BDL was that you had to go to 6 springs when installing the VPC. I could have tried adding weight to the centrifugal fingers but gave up.
Good feedback on the AIM. I run the pro clutch with their TTP variable pressure plate and it’s perfect. I adjust my clutch so all I have to do is barley touch it and barley roll back the throttle when I go to the track. On the street I do the typical half turn at the rod and a 1/16 at the cable. It is smooth and about like a stock clutch.

I guess I’ll just get another, I was just interested in the idea of throwing something on the bone stock clutch and see what happened. I also liked the dream of spending $150 bucks instead of $800… the current clutch is brand new. Also a 113 in a Road King.

Last edited by Rains2much; 09-06-2024 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-07-2024, 12:33 AM
PureHybrid
Road Master
Received 380 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Rains2much
Good feedback on the AIM. I run the pro clutch with their TTP variable pressure plate and it’s perfect. I adjust my clutch so all I have to do is barley touch it and barley roll back the throttle when I go to the track. On the street I do the typical half turn at the rod and a 1/16 at the cable. It is smooth and about like a stock clutch.

I guess I’ll just get another, I was just interested in the idea of throwing something on the bone stock clutch and see what happened. I also liked the dream of spending $150 bucks instead of $800… the current clutch is brand new. Also a 113 in a Road King.
Why would you need to spend $800? An Energy One clutch and their HD spring should work

Old 09-07-2024, 08:54 AM
Rains2much
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PureHybrid
Why would you need to spend $800? An Energy One clutch and their HD spring should work
The primo Rivera pro clutch kit for my year is $700 and change. I’m not a dealer. The American Prime Manufacturing is probably $75-100 less but I’d have to deal with that rude grouchy guy who jumps to conclusions before understanding the question. I’d pay a $100 just to not have a conversation with him.

I don’t have any personal experience with the energy one but Someone I trust completely had real issues with it. He runs the same basket, clutch and has his own shop that focuses on high performance builds and tuning. If he said the sky turned plaid I would stop what I’m doing and go outside to see because he’s like never wrong.

Maybe it would be fine for casual performance on the street especially with my Road King that will never be at the track. I’ll research it some, I’m sure my buddy was negative about it in the context of drag racing. But what survives at the track is only head room for surviving on the street.

So looks like the energy one is just clutch disks and maybe a spring? So no free lunches… it’s going to increase the hand pressure. Hate to be a Nancy but I tolerated that for years with my Shovelheads and now that I’ve had my cake and ate it too, not willing to go back to developing Popeyes forearms. It also appears to be a Barnet copy with the extra plate? My experience with that is once hot.. it wants to creep. If you adjust it so it doesn’t creep, good luck with travel, then when not hot there is too much slack.

Am I missing something?

Last edited by Rains2much; 09-07-2024 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-08-2024, 02:04 PM
PureHybrid
Road Master
Received 380 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Rains2much
The primo Rivera pro clutch kit for my year is $700 and change. I’m not a dealer. The American Prime Manufacturing is probably $75-100 less but I’d have to deal with that rude grouchy guy who jumps to conclusions before understanding the question. I’d pay a $100 just to not have a conversation with him.

I don’t have any personal experience with the energy one but Someone I trust completely had real issues with it. He runs the same basket, clutch and has his own shop that focuses on high performance builds and tuning. If he said the sky turned plaid I would stop what I’m doing and go outside to see because he’s like never wrong.

Maybe it would be fine for casual performance on the street especially with my Road King that will never be at the track. I’ll research it some, I’m sure my buddy was negative about it in the context of drag racing. But what survives at the track is only head room for surviving on the street.

So looks like the energy one is just clutch disks and maybe a spring? So no free lunches… it’s going to increase the hand pressure. Hate to be a Nancy but I tolerated that for years with my Shovelheads and now that I’ve had my cake and ate it too, not willing to go back to developing Popeyes forearms. It also appears to be a Barnet copy with the extra plate? My experience with that is once hot.. it wants to creep. If you adjust it so it doesn’t creep, good luck with travel, then when not hot there is too much slack.

Am I missing something?
Their clutch with the heavier spring didn't increase lever effort by anything measurable with my fingers. I asked Energy about it when I purchased originally because the thickness of the spring was the same as OE, but the guy told me that because of the way the spring was designed and pushed on the top plate it actually increased clamp pressure. Which it does look different, and they make two different springs as well. Energy one makes replacement kits for the Rivera setups too, not sure if that would be a better option or if you even realized they did?

Old 09-08-2024, 02:06 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,779 Likes on 11,578 Posts

Just curious what are you trying to accomplish?

Old 09-08-2024, 07:34 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

I ran the AIM VPC on my 04 which had stock clutch but I added a stiffer spring. Worked well for me.

Quick Reply: Who’s tried Variable pressure plates for stock Harley clutches?