The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

Other Devices: Tuning 131 kit with Wood 77X cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2024, 04:18 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 793 Likes on 617 Posts
Default Tuning 131 kit with Wood 77X cam

hey folks, weird question for me here.
i've got a customer that broiught me his bike to tune with powervision. 2021 road glide with the HD Stage 4 131 kit installed. everything as the kit is listed from when it cam with the 517 cam and 5.5 injectors, the early version of this kit.it has the cnc heads, t/b and everything listed in the kit, verified. Another shop installed the Wood 77X cam with adjustable pushrods and i hope new lifters, they appear nameless. anyhow, they put it together and sold him a powervision and sent him down th eroad to auto tune it. The plot thickens,,,,it has a bad, bad missfire that starts at 3 or 3100 and will stay till 4k rpm, then it clears up and runs great. This misfire happnes in 3rd gear up under medium hard to full throttle hard acellertion. it shows some real crazy stuff on the dyno. all attemps at trying to tune this out have failed. the customer brought it in with a gutted headpipe, i suggested a fullsac header set up with his Rineharts, and it does the same with either pipe. compression test is good, leakdown is good, i tried re adjusting the pushrods, thinking maybe some kind of igntion failure i hooked up the inline spark testers on all plugs wires and still no apparent issues,,,,kinda seems like a plug wire breaking up type of miss.
Suspecting that my cam is the issue, i removed the wood cam and re-installed the HD SE8-517 cam, tweeked the tune for the IVO and IVC settings for that cam, and BOOM, no more isue! I put the old cam and old lifters in to to run as a test and my miss is gone! I want to call Mr. Wood and talk about it, but i'm afraid that he is going to try to blame the tune, which is done by me and i truly dont think thats the issue. Has anyone else had issues with tuning the 77X in a big motor set up, or have any suggestions for me?
thanks
marco

Old 09-07-2024, 10:49 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 793 Likes on 617 Posts

Big shout out to Jaime @ Fuel Moto. I sent him an email describing my issues hoping that his experience working with the Wood cams could help me out. Well it did, actually fighting reversion issue wiht the mufflers. Gonna try and get my hands on some of the inserts available from FM, see if that nips it in the bud. Just wanted to put it out there about Jaime taking the time to help me out, thanks again!!!

Marco
without fully retuning, with a stock muffler on the right side and a Rinhart on the lf getting 136 hp and 149 tq. once i get the reversion issue handled hopefully the final full tune will yield even more!