Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Spewing oil from TB

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2024, 09:36 AM
TheCoffee
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Spewing oil from TB

Looking for some suggestions before tossing in the towel taking this thing to a shop.

Background: Fresh build, Tman 124" TC Pro Touring kit, around 1,500 miles, has Fueling vented dipstick, HPI crank vent bypass on my HPI 58mm TB, JEGG frame mounted oil cooler.. Sometime after the 700 mile break in noticed the S$S oil pump was sumping so replaced it with a Fueling cam plate and pump which solved the sumping problem. Shortly after that I started getting oil spraying down the right side of the motor, scoped the cylinders and found both to be scored through the crosshatch at the bottom and the front was also scored at the top. Sent cylinders back to Tman who honed them .001 and put a fresh crosshatch on. Assembled top end with new gaskets and rings, pistons had a lot of carbon so cleaned and skirts re-coated.

Current: Motor is together and runs great but is spewing even more oil than before; right side has oil dripping off after a couple miles leaving a decent size puddle, all over the transmission, side cover, and right saddle bag even blowing over the lid. Each time I find oil in the TB. I've ruled out the pushrod tubes and don't see any other leaks. Idling in the garage for 10 or 15 minutes produces a very slow drip off the rear of the right cylinder below the head but I can't see how it is migrating there from the TB, the head is wet across the fins, at the top of the pushrods, so maybe it is running from the TB to the rear cylinder, need to look closer. Oddly not much if any oil coming from breather bypass drain tubes.

Really need ideas on what might be going on here, at my wits end with this bike. Thanks

Last edited by TheCoffee; 09-03-2024 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-03-2024, 10:10 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,938 Likes on 4,024 Posts

Do a leak test.. Were there any mods to the cases other than boring them out for bigger cylinders? Run the breathers into a large catch..

Have you checked how well the O ring on the crankcase scavenge passage seats?

Any breather mods?

Old 09-03-2024, 10:52 AM
TheCoffee
Cruiser

You bring up things I left off; I have both the Fueling vented dipstick and HPI crank vent bypass kit on my HPI 58mm throttle body but oddly I don't see any or much oil coming from the vent tubing. Only case mods were boring, and clearancei-ing for high lift cams. I have a JEGG frame mounted oil cooler. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the new Fueling oil pump install.

Old 09-03-2024, 10:59 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

If it don't come out the vents, where does it come out from..

Does the feuling dipstick have a one way valve? It should.. I'd also try removing it.. Putting stock back in and running the oil level 1/2 stick..

Old 09-03-2024, 11:01 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Do you have any pictures of the cylinders?

Who tuned the motor?

Old 09-03-2024, 11:12 AM
TheCoffee
Cruiser

I think it is coming out of the TB as it always has oil in it, unless it is sucking it in from another leak through the filter, not sure I can't really locate it because oil is everywhere. I have no idea why I'm not seeing oil at the vent tubes or how oil is getting into the TB unless sucking it in. Only really starts blowing oil while riding, the harder I push it the worse it gets but just a drip at idle.

Fueling dipstick does have a one way valve and it doesn't seem to accurately reflect oil level. Used the OEM stick and it shows 1 qt low or so.

Motor hasn't been dyno tuned yet, I've had nothing but problems with this build, mostly bad parts (long list) and some mistakes on my part being my first build. I can't keep it solid long enough to bother tuning it. I am running a Tmax though.

Old 09-03-2024, 11:28 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheCoffee
I think it is coming out of the TB as it always has oil in it, unless it is sucking it in from another leak through the filter, not sure I can't really locate it because oil is everywhere. I have no idea why I'm not seeing oil at the vent tubes or how oil is getting into the TB unless sucking it in. Only really starts blowing oil while riding, the harder I push it the worse it gets but just a drip at idle.

Fueling dipstick does have a one way valve and it doesn't seem to accurately reflect oil level. Used the OEM stick and it shows 1 qt low or so.

Motor hasn't been dyno tuned yet, I've had nothing but problems with this build, mostly bad parts (long list) and some mistakes on my part being my first build. I can't keep it solid long enough to bother tuning it. I am running a Tmax though.
Are the plugs oily? You need to clean the bike up real well and identify where the oil is coming from.. If it's coming from the intake, maybe the ported heads cut into the valve spring area and it's dumping oil into the intake?

Could it be improper installation of the bottom rocker cover gasket? Looks like you've already had the top end off once after the build..

What does Tman say?

What map are you using in the Tmax.. Too much timing and fuel can kill a set of cylinders/rings quickly.

Pistons were replaced?

The following users liked this post:
pgreer (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 11:56 AM
TheCoffee
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Are the plugs oily? You need to clean the bike up real well and identify where the oil is coming from.. If it's coming from the intake, maybe the ported heads cut into the valve spring area and it's dumping oil into the intake?

Could it be improper installation of the bottom rocker cover gasket? Looks like you've already had the top end off once after the build..

What does Tman say?

What map are you using in the Tmax.. Too much timing and fuel can kill a set of cylinders/rings quickly.

Pistons were replaced?

I'm going to look at it this afternoon, pull the plugs, scope the jugs, clean off the oil and run it and hunt for the source again and get back to you. Tmax map is the one they recommended. This is a recent issue that only came up after replacing the oil pump at around 1,500 miles since build and less than 10 miles since cylinders reworked and new rings, it could be the bottom rocker box gasket but it started after replacing the oil pump but before pulling the cylinders so I think it is unlikely. Same pistons that came with ther kit but Tman cleaned them and had them recoated, new rings.

Old 09-03-2024, 01:20 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheCoffee
I'm going to look at it this afternoon, pull the plugs, scope the jugs, clean off the oil and run it and hunt for the source again and get back to you. Tmax map is the one they recommended. This is a recent issue that only came up after replacing the oil pump at around 1,500 miles since build and less than 10 miles since cylinders reworked and new rings, it could be the bottom rocker box gasket but it started after replacing the oil pump but before pulling the cylinders so I think it is unlikely. Same pistons that came with ther kit but Tman cleaned them and had them recoated, new rings.
Who is they? What map is it? One in Tmax lib?

How was the SnS pump sumping. Oil out the breathers or was the motor simply sluggish? Did you see what was wrong in the pump? Cracked rotor?

Old 09-03-2024, 01:42 PM
TheCoffee
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Who is they? What map is it? One in Tmax lib?

How was the SnS pump sumping. Oil out the breathers or was the motor simply sluggish? Did you see what was wrong in the pump? Cracked rotor?

'they' is Tmax, don't recall the map number but it was the closest thing they had to this motor configuration in their library.

The sumping was characterized by the top end getting noisy particularly highway riding, and would get sluggish (crank dragging through oil). No idea what was wrong with the pump but after getting a bad cam plate and front cylinder from them was fed up so just replaced it with Fueling which resolved it. .

New development: cleaned up the oil and removed the air cleaner and the TB is spotless, first time I haven't found oil in it so I'm guessing it had been sucking oil spraying from somewhere else like pushrod tubes maybe. Blew out the vent bypass lines and they are clean, no oil.

Quick Reply: Spewing oil from TB