Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Great Chain

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2024, 04:55 PM
sbrmike
Road Master

Received 629 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Great Chain

I put on a real US made Diamond rear chain earlier this year. The previous chain that I had put on (with new sprockets) was a terrible chain. It needed major adjustment after each ride. It was NOS Harley but I think an employee swapped the Harley chain out of the box and put a cheap, no name, unmarked chain, new in the wrap, in the box. Around the time I bought it they had recently fired an employee from a posting on Facebook where a fellow posted about how many great deals, well below list, that he was getting from his friend at that shop. He was selling to friends, pocketing the money, and not ringing it through the cash register.

Well anyway, I got 6,548 miles out of that chain. I probably should have changed it months ago, but ran it as long as I dared. I don't remember how many links I cut out of that chain during it's life, but as I said it would be very loose after every ride.

This new chain has 684 miles on it. I did not change sprockets as they looked good. I generally change two chains to one set of sprockets unless they show the wear. I will also add that I lubed the chain with the white Belray chain lube (not wax). Today I took a 50 mile ride and decided to do some maintenance on the chain. I cleaned it off with my 3 way brush, lubed it very well with Belray, found the tight spot, lowered the bike, sat on it, and used my 90 degree bend long handled pipe and to my surprise, it was perfect! It looked like I just put it on!

The following 4 users liked this post by sbrmike:
470004 (08-30-2024), Dan89FLSTC (08-28-2024), Joe12RK (08-28-2024), Spanners39 (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 09:51 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 972 Posts

Where did you get that chain?

Old 08-28-2024, 11:05 PM
PeterB
Road Master
Received 923 Likes on 417 Posts

These days, the only chain to run is an X-ring chain. The rubber X-rings keep the lube in and the grit out. They can last 20,000 miles and after the initial break-in you rarely have to adjust them. I will never run a standard non-O-ring or non-X-ring chain again.

The following 3 users liked this post by PeterB:
AJSHOVEL (09-03-2024), Racepres (08-29-2024), strokelessone (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 05:04 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 832 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterB
These days, the only chain to run is an X-ring chain. The rubber X-rings keep the lube in and the grit out. They can last 20,000 miles and after the initial break-in you rarely have to adjust them. I will never run a standard non-O-ring or non-X-ring chain again.
I use RK 530 non-O-Ring chains, adjust a bit more often but they don't collide with the inner primary and so I prefer them. All a matter of preference really.

Old 08-29-2024, 06:27 PM
sbrmike
Road Master

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
Where did you get that chain?
Which one the Harley or the Diamond? The Harley I got from the local Harley dealer a few years ago. The diamond came from J&P.

The following users liked this post:
Joe12RK (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 10:11 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,940 Likes on 4,026 Posts

I've given up on Diamond X chains.. I've had better luck with Drag premium O ring and EK. I have had good luck with Diamond primary chains where the stock Regina chain stretched on biggoer motors.

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
Racepres (08-30-2024), Ytcoinshooter (09-10-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 09:24 AM
FLHS1990
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sbrmike
I put on a real US made Diamond rear chain earlier this year. The previous chain that I had put on (with new sprockets) was a terrible chain. It needed major adjustment after each ride. It was NOS Harley but I think an employee swapped the Harley chain out of the box and put a cheap, no name, unmarked chain, new in the wrap, in the box. Around the time I bought it they had recently fired an employee from a posting on Facebook where a fellow posted about how many great deals, well below list, that he was getting from his friend at that shop. He was selling to friends, pocketing the money, and not ringing it through the cash register.

Well anyway, I got 6,548 miles out of that chain. I probably should have changed it months ago, but ran it as long as I dared. I don't remember how many links I cut out of that chain during it's life, but as I said it would be very loose after every ride.

This new chain has 684 miles on it. I did not change sprockets as they looked good. I generally change two chains to one set of sprockets unless they show the wear. I will also add that I lubed the chain with the white Belray chain lube (not wax). Today I took a 50 mile ride and decided to do some maintenance on the chain. I cleaned it off with my 3 way brush, lubed it very well with Belray, found the tight spot, lowered the bike, sat on it, and used my 90 degree bend long handled pipe and to my surprise, it was perfect! It looked like I just put it on!

SbrMike;
Thanks for the review and great chain post. Just how much would it cost a fellow to see a picture of that right angle long handled pipe home made measurement tool you are using?
Some of us are new to us shovelhead riders and reinventing the wheel takes time.
Tried and true tips worth their weight in gold.

Old 08-30-2024, 10:13 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,227 Likes on 6,712 Posts

Thanks for the information.

Old 08-30-2024, 12:49 PM
sbrmike
Road Master

Originally Posted by FLHS1990
SbrMike;
Thanks for the review and great chain post. Just how much would it cost a fellow to see a picture of that right angle long handled pipe home made measurement tool you are using?
Some of us are new to us shovelhead riders and reinventing the wheel takes time.
Tried and true tips worth their weight in gold.
It is not much to see. It is a piece of 1/2" hard copper pipe (tubing) 3 feet long with a 90 degree elbow on the end with a 3 inch piece of 1/2" hard copper pipe in the elbow. You could make one from 1/2" PVC pipe for next to nothing. I just had that piece of pipe lying around as is from a plumbing project.

Old 09-01-2024, 05:30 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 832 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by sbrmike
It is not much to see. It is a piece of 1/2" hard copper pipe (tubing) 3 feet long with a 90 degree elbow on the end with a 3 inch piece of 1/2" hard copper pipe in the elbow. You could make one from 1/2" PVC pipe for next to nothing. I just had that piece of pipe lying around as is from a plumbing project.
Same here, except I don't have an elbow, I just beat the last 2 inches flat and bent them at 90 degrees to the shaft.

Quick Reply: Great Chain