Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Fatboy Harley Plug and Play Ape Hangers

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2024, 10:28 PM
Porkypig25
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Fatboy Harley Plug and Play Ape Hangers

Does anyone have any information on how to wire these up? I cannot find a single forum that explains anything about these. Any information would be appreciated!

Old 08-27-2024, 11:58 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,154 Likes on 4,378 Posts

Those are Deutsch connectors and should plug right it...

Unless of course those bars are NOT plug and play for your year/model motorcycle. Then you'll need to get a wiring diagram for your bike. You can then hardwire them, or convert to the connectors your bike has...

Old 08-27-2024, 12:14 PM
Porkypig25
Stage III

Originally Posted by hattitude
Those are Deutsch connectors and should plug right it...

Unless of course those bars are NOT plug and play for your year/model motorcycle. Then you'll need to get a wiring diagram for your bike. You can then hardwire them, or convert to the connectors your bike has...

Im having to remove the fuel tank as of right now. I’ve read around that on this model the plugs run right along the frame under the tank.

According to Hillside Customs, they are plug and play. First time buying from them so I’m not sure how reliable they are.

Old 08-27-2024, 01:10 PM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,956 Likes on 2,854 Posts

Originally Posted by Porkypig25
Im having to remove the fuel tank as of right now. I’ve read around that on this model the plugs run right along the frame under the tank.

How did you disconnect the OLD wires ??

Old 08-27-2024, 01:13 PM
Porkypig25
Stage III

Originally Posted by eighteight
How did you disconnect the OLD wires ??

I have not gotten to the old wires yet. They all run under the fuel tank

Old 08-27-2024, 06:54 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,154 Likes on 4,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Porkypig25

According to Hillside Customs, they are plug and play. First time buying from them so I’m not sure how reliable they are.

Do you mean Hill Country Custom Cycles in Texas....?? They specialize in full pre-wired kits of handlebar installs

Hill Country Customs has a good reputation. My riding buddy has used them on three bikes and likes their "stuff"...

Well, he DID like their stuff until a month ago..

We rode to Sturgis from SoCal.

On our last day there his hydraulic clutch cable, supplied by Hill Country Customs in a pre-wired handlebar kit, started leaking at the clutch slave. Due to the leak, he lost his clutch.

I was able to take everything apart, and found that Hill Country used a hydraulic clutch line with a swivel at the slave nut, versus a simple compression fitting like OEM and most other clutch lines I've seen. That high tech swivel is what developed a leak, with no way to fix it... I could have fixed a leaking compression fitting by buying a couple tools at a Home Depot...

To ad insult to injury, believe it or not, I could not find a hydraulic clutch line for a 2015 Bagger with 14" apes, anywhere in Sturgis...

I stood in line at the Black Hills HD parts counter for 45 min.... Twice... Once for them to give me the wrong clutch line (for an M8, not a Twin Cam). And a second time to return the wrong part, be told they did not have the correct part for a twin cam, and they could not check with any other HD dealer in the area to see if they had one in stock... Apparently they couldn't be bothered to check the HD parts computer.

None of the handlebar vendors, who had tents set up with multiple lifts that were installing bars left & right, said they had a clutch line to sell me.. Apparently if they help out someone who is stranded needing a clutch line for 14" apes, they may not be able to sell a set of 14" apes later on...

At least my buddy could take solace in his $1500 U-haul (to bring his bike back to San Diego) as he watched through windshield wipers while I got poured on in a rain storm in Northern AZ, and from the cool air conditioned cab as I suffered through 113° temps in the deserts just outside San Diego...

Anyways, I digress.....

At least Hill Country Customs is considered to be knowledgeable about what models need what connectors, and in spite of our experience with their hydraulic clutch line, they do have a good reputation for what they do...

Let us know what you find and how this works out....

Last edited by hattitude; 08-27-2024 at 06:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
eighteight (08-28-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 08:45 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,626 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Used a Hill Country kit on my 04, can’t say I was overly thrilled with it myself. I had several problems with it.