NEWROASTER's 2024 Road Glide CVO ST thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2024 | 07:27 PM
NEWROADSTER
|
HDF Community Team
Community Team
Default NEWROASTER's 2024 Road Glide CVO ST thread

I purchased a new Road Glide CVO ST last Saturday and was able to pick it up Wednesday I will update this thread with upgrades and reviews.
I picked the Road Glide up Wednesday afternoon. I had the dealer adjust the handle bars. I had previously told them not to send it though detail, so she was a little dusty and greasy but ready to go. With that said, it looked like a perfect time for a ride, I switched to sport mode and took off. I put a 100 miles on the bike with no stops. I was very impressed with the handling of a large bike. It reminded me of my Kawasaki Z900RS in the way it flows into corners, much better that my Road King. The suspension was great and I have not even adjusted it yet. Power is damn impressive for a stock bike, I was not waiting for 500 miles. The first day went great and I took off work the rest of the week to dial it in.
I was up at 5:30 this morning, that's sleeping late for me. I put the bike on the jack and disassembled it down for a detail and a reflector removal. The bike turned out great with no dealer scratches. Once it was finally clean, I installed my mirrors, floorboard extensions and the new crash bars that I purchased yesterday.
I spent the better part of the day working on the bike but it was ready for the road by 3:30 so, I took off again and put on another 100 miles. Today I discovered the front brake pads make a lot of noise. I will call Lyndall tomorrow and see if they have pads for this bike and replace them. The floor board extensions made me much more comfortable. I am waiting on a new windshield to arrive to help with the wind, but with the vent adjusted correctly, it's not too bad. On my way home, I took the interstate and thought the wind was getting bad, when I looked at the speedo, I had been running 95 comfortably for about 10 miles and did not notice.
I am very happy with the purchase and will continue with updates when needed.

The following 16 users liked this post by NEWROADSTER:
2K10FBLO (08-26-2024), Beartooth Rider (09-12-2024), bradsULtd (08-27-2024), BrandonSmith (08-22-2024), Cosmic Razorback (09-01-2024), Ducman82 (08-30-2024), Erratikmind (08-23-2024), harpwrench (08-22-2024), IceHog2024 (08-23-2024), mjwebb (08-22-2024), mlbraptor (09-13-2024), oldbie (09-02-2024), pyuchem (08-23-2024), r-bar-j (09-12-2024), rauchman (09-13-2024), RBowers (08-23-2024) and 11 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-23-2024 | 06:57 AM
Msquad
Road Captain

Looking good, congrats.
I agree with you on the subject of "I discovered the front brake pads make a lot of noise." I replaced my rear rotor to match the front and now the rear brake is so nice and smooth and catches well. I'm wondering if the front rotors are bad. I'll be watching to see your results if you replace the pads.

Old 08-23-2024 | 08:03 AM
NEWROADSTER
|
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by Msquad
Looking good, congrats.
I agree with you on the subject of "I discovered the front brake pads make a lot of noise." I replaced my rear rotor to match the front and now the rear brake is so nice and smooth and catches well. I'm wondering if the front rotors are bad. I'll be watching to see your results if you replace the pads.
It seems to me that all the bikes I have had that use the floating wave type rotor make some racket when you get on the brakes. This bike is real loud. I ran the Lyndall pads on all the others and they were way better than this. I don't think the rotors are warped, but they sound terrible.
On my Road King, I put on the wave rotors and stock hHarley pads. They immediately felt warped. I changed to Lyndall and they were perfect. I will call them today.
What rear rotor did you use?

Old 08-23-2024 | 11:19 AM
Msquad
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NEWROADSTER
...What rear rotor did you use?
A somewhat matching Gafler.

The following users liked this post:
Beartooth Rider (09-12-2024)
Old 08-23-2024 | 12:12 PM
IceHog2024
Advanced

I've got the same bike, I've never noticed any noise from my brakes, but I will say they work really really well.

Old 08-23-2024 | 02:43 PM
NEWROADSTER
|
HDF Community Team
Community Team

That rear rotor is sharp! so the Lyndall part number is 8102. That pad from them is only available in the extreme performance version. I don't want that kind of dust. The pads are the same ones used on the Indian FTR and it looks like Gafler has the pads in a more normal street application. I guess I will try those first.
As far as noise, maybe I got mine to hot early on, but I did not do any harsh braking that I am aware of.

Old 08-23-2024 | 02:47 PM
NEWROADSTER
|
HDF Community Team
Community Team

So today, I spent the morning setting up the suspension for my weight by the owners manual. My bike was set with a bunch more preload front and back than was needed for me.
It rained earlier, so I will try it out when the streets dry up.
While waiting, I ordered a CarPlay adapter that another member recommended and a Custom Dynamics adapter to hook up my rear bag lights from my Road King.

Old 08-23-2024 | 04:51 PM
Msquad
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NEWROADSTER
So today, I spent the morning setting up the suspension for my weight by the owners manual. My bike was set with a bunch more preload front and back than was needed for me.
It rained earlier, so I will try it out when the streets dry up...
Suspension...Ugh for me. I have adjusted mine 3 times and still seems a bit harsh over bumps (but awesome in corners and curves). I'm probably too used to my '22 RG Limited with the HD Ohlins and the less harsh, not as performance suspension.

The following users liked this post:
Beartooth Rider (09-12-2024)
Old 08-23-2024 | 05:09 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Beautiful bike. Really like the exposed shock reservoirs, seat, exhaust, and frame sliders. Looks more sport tourer than an old guy tourer.

Old 08-25-2024 | 01:48 PM
NEWROADSTER
|
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Thanks for the compliments. I hear you on the suspension, it is not quiet as plush as a cruiser, but it stays very planted. I put another 120 miles on it yesterday and really enjoyed it. I just took the mufflers apart and removed the end piece to hopefully get a little deeper tone without loosing torque. I left the packing in place. If it does not work out, I can always put them back in. I was going to try and run these mufflers until Dynojet gets their tuning down, then I will play with it a little more.

Quick Reply: NEWROASTER's 2024 Road Glide CVO ST thread