Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Harley owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2024, 07:45 PM
DSFA
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Harley owner Questions

Hey y'all!
So just ended up buying a 18 Softail Slim because I've got a jacked up knee that I'm supposed to be having surgery on. Which will severely limit my riding style. So got the HD with floorboards and a more forward foot position.
My questions are:
I thought these things were supposed to be comfortable!? WTH? My Slim has a non-stock two-up seat which was ok on the test ride but only made it an hour and half the other day before my back was DYING! What seats are actually comfortable?
Have the quick on/off windshield. Going down the road above sixty there's so much turbulence my eyeballs were shaking! Gets a lot of air coming up off the bottom because I could place my arm across and tone down a lot of the turbulence. Windshield height is about level with my nose/ bottom of my faceshield on my helmet. Thinking a shorter screen would be better. I took it off and it's much better without the screen for turbulence (I'm used to no screen) but a screen would be nice in rain and when it starts cooling off. Any input on cutting turbulence?
Thanks in advance!

My 1st HD, 2018 Softail Slim.

The following users liked this post:
WXSW (08-20-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 07:56 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,234 Likes on 1,769 Posts

You want to be comfortable.

But you talk of detach windshield.

Bike is called a slim
Get huge windshield and never take it off, same for a seat. Better yet get touring bike. I am not joking. But bought one little bike and was sore after 100 miles, bought another little bike then.

I say get something with a fairing, Nothing else get a road king.

Old 08-19-2024, 08:07 PM
DSFA
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Rounders
You want to be comfortable.

But you talk of detach windshield.

Bike is called a slim
Get huge windshield and never take it off, same for a seat. Better yet get touring bike. I am not joking. But bought one little bike and was sore after 100 miles, bought another little bike then.

I say get something with a fairing, Nothing else get a road king.
I don't want or need a huge touring bike. I've owned over 80 different bikes over my years. This my first Harley, second cruiser. Owned the first for 21 days and traded it off. The Slim is better without the windshield on it. I could ride my Moto Guzzi V85TT all day and not have my back hurt like it did after only an hour and half. Really trying not to regret trading it in on this.

Old 08-19-2024, 08:07 PM
Paintslinger16
Road Warrior
Received 1,899 Likes on 821 Posts

That’s looks like more of a profiling seat, and you are on Softail, not a touring bike. The windshield can only go lower or higher, Memphis shades does make a batwing shaped windshield may help with the turbulence, I have one on Dyna Switchback works fine.
Look at saddleman or Mustang for seats, does make a huge difference

Old 08-19-2024, 08:29 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,180 Likes on 2,296 Posts

The OEM windshield on my ‘20 Heritage Classic is perfect for me. So is the OEM seat. My helmet does not catch the wind and cause buffeting. You could ride my bike wearing the same helmet and you would probably have the same complaints that you have on your bike. See the problem?

Old 08-19-2024, 08:55 PM
DSFA
6th Gear

So sounding like I should have not bought a Harley??? Disappointing. I have test ridden a Heritage and was told by the dealer it and the Slim were the same frame, etc. just different looks. I prefer the Bobber-ish style of the Slim over the Heritage.
It's just funny to me how many comments I've gotten over the years about how great these are and I get one and stuff I thought that I would have issues with (handling and power) are alright but the things I didn't expect to give issues (seat and windshield) are what's literally a PITA.

Old 08-19-2024, 08:55 PM
DSFA
6th Gear

Thanks!

Old 08-19-2024, 08:56 PM
Cap77
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,098 Likes on 2,620 Posts

Originally Posted by DSFA
H I've owned over 80 different bikes over my years.
forgive me, but how could you NOT know the bike wouldn't be a good fit then?
You didn't ride before buying?

..L.T.A.

Old 08-19-2024, 09:07 PM
DSFA
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Cap77
forgive me, but how could you NOT know the bike wouldn't be a good fit then?
You didn't ride before buying?

..L.T.A.
I did test ride it but a fifteen minute loop around a few blocks isn't the same as getting it out on the road.
As I mentioned, my knee is screwed up and I need to get something with more forward foot location if I want to keep riding. Which I do so now I have this. I honestly was planning on buying a Triumph Speedmaster but preferred the Slim.

Old 08-19-2024, 09:31 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 23,664 Likes on 7,776 Posts

Originally Posted by DSFA
I did test ride it but a fifteen minute loop around a few blocks isn't the same as getting it out on the road.
As I mentioned, my knee is screwed up and I need to get something with more forward foot location if I want to keep riding. Which I do so now I have this. I honestly was planning on buying a Triumph Speedmaster but preferred the Slim.
The feet forward position puts more weight on your back and tailbone. I have hardware in my knee from being hit by a DUI driver back in 1983 and I find mid controls to be no problem. It hurts except when I'm sleeping so I'd notice if the controls aggravated the situation. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
DSFA (08-20-2024)

Quick Reply: New Harley owner Questions