Sponsored by:

Nothing When Ignition Switch is On

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2024, 01:52 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,835 Likes on 986 Posts
Default Nothing When Ignition Switch is On

I put this on the electrical - lighting - alarm forum, but I'm not getting very far with it. Maybe somebody that has had this happen will be able to identify the problem. There was a post from a guy that had the same problem, but he only did seven posts, no more. So here is what I have:

The problem I am having with my 2017 RGS. I changed out the head gaskets, I was not in a rush and this took several months. When I disconnected the battery I did so according to the manual, turned on the ignition with the fob close and pulled the main fuse and then removed the ground cable. When I reconnected I did the reverse, attached the ground cable, turned on the ignition, and replaced the fuse with the fob within range. Replaced battery and it is charged. Replaced the batteries in the fob. No dash lights or other lights, but if I connect the maintainer the dash lights will flash and the cooling relay clicks intermittently. I disconnected the security antenna to see if it is getting power and the hot side was hot and so was the ground side. The main question I have, is my BCM toast. Any help appreciated.

So after several members asking about the battery, fuses, and grounding, I posted this. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate any responses, but I am trying to cut to the chase.

To summarize the situation: The battery is new and putting out 13.06 v. The bike doesn't connect when the ignition is turned on. No dash lights, no instruments active, no head, running, or taillights. There is 13.06 v at the hot side of the main fuse and the fuse is good, as are all the other fuses. The maintainer lead hot side is 13.06 v if grounded to the bike with the ignition on or off, but reduces to 3.26 v if the maintainer lead ground side is used. The security antenna connection is around 9 volts on the hot side, but it is also 9 v on the ground side. If the maintainer is hooked up with the ignition in the on position, the dash lights will flash intermittently and the cooling relay clicks intermittently. The fob has a new battery that is 2.9 v. The bike also has a security alarm on it, which hasn't been activated by any of this.

I would really like to know if this is the BCM before I spend $500 on a new one, as I am sure once purchased it is mine, no return. Are there other checks that can be performed on the BCM?

So if anyone has had this problem or has knowledge of what is going on here, please respond.

Old 08-08-2024, 02:38 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,901 Likes on 1,569 Posts

This sounds a lot like what happened when I first got my bike.
I knew the battery was going to be dead after I bought it since it was old and the bike was not tender maintained.
So I bought a lithium battery ready to go so I can swap it the moment the bike was home.
I rode the bike once, only to come out to the bike not working.
It would make a noise of the solenoid but would just click, no lights, nothing bike was dead in the water, just making a click sound every 15 seconds.

It turns out the BCM was fried, the BCM had shorted or something internally that kept the starter action in loop making it try to start the bike whenever any power was connected.
Unfortunately BCM might be your problem.
It sounds like a very similar issue to my bike.

Old 08-08-2024, 02:46 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,950 Likes on 4,145 Posts

What is the battery voltage after being on maintance charger over night with it removed. Key on with hopefully the lights on 5 minutes. Then key off . What does battery show then on the lead and also on the actual cables?

I assume you have a standard AGM glass mat battery.

Old 08-08-2024, 03:34 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
This sounds a lot like what happened when I first got my bike.
I knew the battery was going to be dead after I bought it since it was old and the bike was not tender maintained.
So I bought a lithium battery ready to go so I can swap it the moment the bike was home.
I rode the bike once, only to come out to the bike not working.
It would make a noise of the solenoid but would just click, no lights, nothing bike was dead in the water, just making a click sound every 15 seconds.

It turns out the BCM was fried, the BCM had shorted or something internally that kept the starter action in loop making it try to start the bike whenever any power was connected.
Unfortunately BCM might be your problem.
It sounds like a very similar issue to my bike.
This is what I am kind figuring is the problem, just want to make sure before I bail off and buy a new BCM.

Old 08-08-2024, 03:35 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by Jackie Paper
What is the battery voltage after being on maintance charger over night with it removed. Key on with hopefully the lights on 5 minutes. Then key off . What does battery show then on the lead and also on the actual cables?

I assume you have a standard AGM glass mat battery.
It's an AGM, but the lights do not come on, nothing comes on.

Old 08-08-2024, 03:54 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,777 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Did you remove the ignition switch **** during your project?

Old 08-08-2024, 04:00 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,305 Likes on 4,752 Posts

if you get it to a local HD dealership wonder if they possibly be able to retrieve some codes with DT despite it's current inoperable condition... maybe call them or swing by if close and have that discussion...??

Old 08-08-2024, 04:19 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,901 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
if you get it to a local HD dealership wonder if they possibly be able to retrieve some codes with DT despite it's current inoperable condition... maybe call them or swing by if close and have that discussion...??
When my BCM blew, my local dealership came and got my bike for free and did a 2 hour diagnostics, which is how they found the BCM problem.
If the BCM is dead in Stone's bike, it wont even turn on to retreive codes because it literally cannot be turned on.
Though a diag would be able to trace the problem to see if the BCM is the problem or not anyways.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 04:37 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,305 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
When my BCM blew, my local dealership came and got my bike for free and did a 2 hour diagnostics, which is how they found the BCM problem.
If the BCM is dead in Stone's bike, it wont even turn on to retreive codes because it literally cannot be turned on.
Though a diag would be able to trace the problem to see if the BCM is the problem or not anyways.
probably time to suck it up and use a lifeline..VISA card in this case

Old 08-08-2024, 05:02 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
probably time to suck it up and use a lifeline..VISA card in this case
Yeah, anyway I go that will be used before it is over, I'm sure.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (08-08-2024)

Quick Reply: Nothing When Ignition Switch is On