Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Engine oil fill spouts

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2024, 12:54 PM
MacSteve
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine oil fill spouts

This might not be the place to ask this question and if it isn't I apologize in advance, but I'm just curious.

I have a 2008 FXDF its my first bike, and i've noticed that the engine oil fill spout is in a different location than a lot of the other bikes of the same year. Now it might be stupid to say but the Road King is essentially the same bike with different esthetics/ touring options.

Isn't the engine, trans, and primary the same? Why not have the fill spouts in the same place? Is it possible to relocate the fill spout so its beside the transmission like the touring models or is that a really massive undertaking?

Old 08-08-2024, 09:32 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 346 Likes on 242 Posts

Is this serious Q?

The following 2 users liked this post by ntraindavefl:
RollaMo (08-09-2024), touchdown (08-09-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 10:18 PM
Leimy
Tourer

Received 149 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by MacSteve
This might not be the place to ask this question and if it isn't I apologize in advance, but I'm just curious.

I have a 2008 FXDF its my first bike, and i've noticed that the engine oil fill spout is in a different location than a lot of the other bikes of the same year. Now it might be stupid to say but the Road King is essentially the same bike with different esthetics/ touring options.

Isn't the engine, trans, and primary the same? Why not have the fill spouts in the same place? Is it possible to relocate the fill spout so its beside the transmission like the touring models or is that a really massive undertaking?
OK.
Well its said ts there is no such thing as a dumb question. You asked, here's my reply.
ON any modern Harley, the 3 oil places, engine, trans and primary.... ARE NOT the same hole. Each is different, each holds a different volume ( many owners even use different oils in each hole, however, the same oil CAN be used in all three. And....you can't relocate any of the fill holes.... the dip stick for the engine has to fit into the correct spot to measure the correct amount as with the transmission. The primary doesn't have a dip stick or any way to measure. Once it's filled to correct amount, and if it doesn't leak, it doesn't need to be checked or added.

Old 08-08-2024, 10:31 PM
MacSteve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Leimy
OK.
Well its said ts there is no such thing as a dumb question. You asked, here's my reply.
ON any modern Harley, the 3 oil places, engine, trans and primary.... ARE NOT the same hole. Each is different, each holds a different volume ( many owners even use different oils in each hole, however, the same oil CAN be used in all three. And....you can't relocate any of the fill holes.... the dip stick for the engine has to fit into the correct spot to measure the correct amount as with the transmission. The primary doesn't have a dip stick or any way to measure. Once it's filled to correct amount, and if it doesn't leak, it doesn't need to be checked or added.

No no no no. im not talking about what oil to use where. I do my own oil changes, i know the difference. Im talking about the physical location of the fill spout of the oil. On the cruisers it seems to be at the base of the crank, but on the touring models it's beside the transmission fill. I'm asking, if the physical location of the spout can be changed. Since the touring models and the cruisers share the same engine, I'm assuming the trans in the same. So wouldn't you be able to get the part needed and move the spout? Or is it not that easy, are they infact different?

Old 08-08-2024, 10:36 PM
MacSteve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
Is this serious Q?
Looking at the response I read below yours something is getting lost.

I'm not talking about putting all the oil in one hole, or if the 3 share a single sump. I do my own oil changes im not THAT new, i do know how to wrench.

My question is about the oil fill spout location as in engine oil. Since the touring models and cruisers. Specifically the RK and Fat Bob are basically clones, aside from some features, couldn't you change the oil spout physical location on the Fat Bob to be by transmission fill like on the Road King. Something like order a plate remove a part and bold the new one on. Or are they actually different like the transmission casing and oil pan are different and I'd have to do a massive job.

If you're wondering im curious because I like the touring fill location WAY better.

Old 08-09-2024, 06:21 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,188 Likes on 3,734 Posts

I'll help you. NO it can't be done.

The following 2 users liked this post by roussfam:
RollaMo (08-09-2024), Rounders (08-09-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 06:57 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,233 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Why would you waste your time?

Old 08-09-2024, 07:03 AM
MacSteve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rounders
Why would you waste your time?
mostly curiosity. I tried looking online through google, but as soon as you mention oil it does it own thing.

So here I am, online harley specific fourm.

Old 08-09-2024, 07:45 AM
SwedishMeatball
HDF Community Team
Received 365 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by MacSteve
mostly curiosity. I tried looking online through google, but as soon as you mention oil it does it own thing.

So here I am, online harley specific fourm.
The transmission housings are different for Dynas and Touring bikes. The touring oil pan extends behind the transmission which is why it's possible to put the oil filler there.

On a Dyna the oil pan is located directly under the transmission which is why the oil filler sits between the engine and the transmission. There is no room for a filler behind the transmission and there is no oil pan underneath for the filler to attach to.

Softails have a separate oil tank up under the seat, and the oil filler is located in that oil tank.

The following users liked this post:
MacSteve (08-09-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 07:56 AM
MacSteve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SwedishMeatball
The transmission housings are different for Dynas and Touring bikes. The touring oil pan extends behind the transmission which is why it's possible to put the oil filler there.

On a Dyna the oil pan is located directly under the transmission which is why the oil filler sits between the engine and the transmission. There is no room for a filler behind the transmission and there is no oil pan underneath for the filler to attach to.

Softails have a separate oil tank up under the seat, and the oil filler is located in that oil tank.
Ah sweet, thank you! I didn't know that. I tried looking it up but again Google "Harley" and "Oil" or "Transmission" in the same phrase and all that shows up is how to do oil changes, or dipsticks.

Quick Reply: Engine oil fill spouts