Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Oil spout question FXDF

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2024, 12:49 AM
MacSteve
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Oil spout question FXDF

So I've been racking my brain lately trying to fix what I find to be a completely stupid issue with the Fat Bob or most Dynas in general. The Oil fill spout location being right below the crank.

Most Exhausts make checking the oil a pain since the fill spout is right in the path of the exhaust, and ya i could change the ehxaust, but i notice the later model engines moved the spout somewhere else.

Is there an alternative on the early Dynas? 2008 and up? I have an exhaust I really like, dragstyle and it's right in the way of the spout, and taking the exhaust off everytime I want to check the oil is not an option. Is there special dipsticks or spouts I can't seem to find since Google is becoming a pain in the ***? Or a way to relocate it somewhere like near the tranny dipstick?

Or is this one of Harleys blunders and im kinda screwed with no options?

Top Answer

08-08-2024, 06:22 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 21,697 Likes on 7,544 Posts

This is not a Harley "blunder" as it is accessible with the OEM exhaust pipes.

Putting on aftermarket parts/exhaust there is always a risk of fitment.

It is up to the individual to do due diligence when modifying their motorcycle and find parts that fit correctly and be able to access maintenance parts.

The "blunder" is with the engineers that designed the aftermarket part, not Harley Davidson.

Last edited by CoolBreeze3646; 08-08-2024 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-07-2024, 02:34 AM
SwedishMeatball
HDF Community Team
Received 364 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by MacSteve
So I've been racking my brain lately trying to fix what I find to be a completely stupid issue with the Fat Bob or most Dynas in general. The Oil fill spout location being right below the crank.

Most Exhausts make checking the oil a pain since the fill spout is right in the path of the exhaust, and ya i could change the ehxaust, but i notice the later model engines moved the spout somewhere else.

Is there an alternative on the early Dynas? 2008 and up? I have an exhaust I really like, dragstyle and it's right in the way of the spout, and taking the exhaust off everytime I want to check the oil is not an option. Is there special dipsticks or spouts I can't seem to find since Google is becoming a pain in the ***? Or a way to relocate it somewhere like near the tranny dipstick?

Looking at the photo you have a 2006 or newer Dyna. It is usually the other way around, a lot of exhausts do not fit 2005 or older Dynas due to the oil filler location on those bikes.

Looking at your photo it seems if you had a filler plug with a really low profile top it would be possible to remove with a bit of wiggling, and you could use a funnel with a piece of hose attached to refill oil. I don't know if such a low profile cap is available for purchase, maybe you could have one made by a machine shop. An aluminium plug with two grooves for o rings and a 1/8" knurled top would be an easy job for someone with a lathe.

Your other option is to try to find the same kind of exhaust but made for 06+ Dynas. For instance the V&H big shots come in two different versions with a slightly different routing of the rear pipe at the transmission.

The following users liked this post:
MacSteve (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 12:15 PM
MacSteve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SwedishMeatball
Looking at the photo you have a 2006 or newer Dyna. It is usually the other way around, a lot of exhausts do not fit 2005 or older Dynas due to the oil filler location on those bikes.

Looking at your photo it seems if you had a filler plug with a really low profile top it would be possible to remove with a bit of wiggling, and you could use a funnel with a piece of hose attached to refill oil. I don't know if such a low profile cap is available for purchase, maybe you could have one made by a machine shop. An aluminium plug with two grooves for o rings and a 1/8" knurled top would be an easy job for someone with a lathe.

Your other option is to try to find the same kind of exhaust but made for 06+ Dynas. For instance the V&H big shots come in two different versions with a slightly different routing of the rear pipe at the transmission.
Ya, it originally had vance and hines on it. Could barely get the cap off to check the oil, this set of pipes I was told fits. After I got it manufacturer said if I wanted to change the oil id have to loosen the pipes to do it. I was pissed.

And nearly every pipe I see for this model year aside from a few really restrict access. Kind of a lame design in my opinion for customizing since I do like the short pipe styling.

Old 08-07-2024, 12:25 PM
SwedishMeatball
HDF Community Team

Ya, it originally had vance and hines on it. Could barely get the cap off to check the oil, this set of pipes I was told fits. After I got it manufacturer said if I wanted to change the oil id have to loosen the pipes to do it. I was pissed.

And nearly every pipe I see for this model year aside from a few really restrict access. Kind of a lame design in my opinion for customizing since I do like the short pipe styling.
If you like the short drag pipe look I think there are pipes from V&H, Cobra and Freedom Performance to name a few that are made for 2006+ Dynas, and that will allow full access to the filler.

​​​​​​Telling a customer to remove the exhaust to check the oil is about the stupidest thing I have heard today.

Old 08-07-2024, 02:23 PM
MacSteve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SwedishMeatball
If you like the short drag pipe look I think there are pipes from V&H, Cobra and Freedom Performance to name a few that are made for 2006+ Dynas, and that will allow full access to the filler.

​​​​​​Telling a customer to remove the exhaust to check the oil is about the stupidest thing I have heard today.
More common than you'd think. If you're not a fan of the classic style pipes and actually want an individual look that is answer you get most of the time. Which removing an exhaust to do oil changes is annoying but, completely unable to check it?

even with my V&H 2-1 big radius blocked the dipstick, I could only get it out if I marked the cap so I knew when the threads were clear inside the spout to I could pull it put and force it past the exhaust. 2008 dyans and above got ABSOLUTLEY F*CKED, and all the manufacturers don't care. V&H included.

Old 08-08-2024, 02:10 AM
SwedishMeatball
HDF Community Team

More common than you'd think. If you're not a fan of the classic style pipes and actually want an individual look that is answer you get most of the time. Which removing an exhaust to do oil changes is annoying but, completely unable to check it?

even with my V&H 2-1 big radius blocked the dipstick, I could only get it out if I marked the cap so I knew when the threads were clear inside the spout to I could pull it put and force it past the exhaust. 2008 dyans and above got ABSOLUTLEY F*CKED, and all the manufacturers don't care. V&H included.
I have a 2002 Dyna and I have always thought there are more nice exhausts available for the 06+ models, but maybe not when it comes to drag pipe style.

I am running a S&S exhaust made for newer Dynas on my bike, it almost covers the oil cap but I can get it out with some wiggling. The cap on 05 and older bikes is not threaded, it's just a plug with o rings that you pull straight out.
I need to use a hose to refill oil but I think that's okay, I don't do that very often.

Old 08-08-2024, 06:22 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 21,697 Likes on 7,544 Posts

This is not a Harley "blunder" as it is accessible with the OEM exhaust pipes.

Putting on aftermarket parts/exhaust there is always a risk of fitment.

It is up to the individual to do due diligence when modifying their motorcycle and find parts that fit correctly and be able to access maintenance parts.

The "blunder" is with the engineers that designed the aftermarket part, not Harley Davidson.

Last edited by CoolBreeze3646; 08-08-2024 at 08:14 AM.
The following 10 users liked this post by CoolBreeze3646:
Addicted to Chaos (08-08-2024), Buelligan666 (08-08-2024), Chicago Ken (08-08-2024), hattitude (08-10-2024), Jackie Paper (08-08-2024), RollaMo (08-08-2024), seniorsuperglideE8 (08-08-2024), snake_eyes (08-12-2024), Tommy C (08-08-2024), Uncle 'B' (08-08-2024) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-08-2024, 06:41 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,053 Likes on 667 Posts

No problems reaching it with a Thunderheader or Rush 2-1

The following 2 users liked this post by misfitJason:
MacSteve (08-08-2024), snake_eyes (08-12-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 07:25 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 505 Likes on 314 Posts

2008 dyans and above got ABSOLUTLEY F*CKED, and all the manufacturers don't care. V&H included.
I must be missing something. What year and model bike do you have?

On my previous 2008 Dyna Fat Bob, I had no issues at all removing the cap and checking the oil.
I was using V&H Short Shots.

Old 08-08-2024, 08:02 AM
MacSteve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RollaMo
I must be missing something. What year and model bike do you have?

On my previous 2008 Dyna Fat Bob, I had no issues at all removing the cap and checking the oil.
I was using V&H Short Shots.

mines an 08, and it originally had V&H big radius 2-1, and like i mentioned above i had to mark my cap so i knew exactly where the threads had the least activation so I could force it past the pipe.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil spout question FXDF