Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain noise??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2024, 10:44 PM
gt06
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Chain noise??

Where is all the noise coming from? It's driving me crazy... new to me 2014 CVO ultra limited with just over 44000 miles. Had the lifters ,adjustable push rods, and inner cam bearings, done just a couple weeks ago before anything happened due to the famous lifter issues on the 110. The noise sounds like a loose chain especially if in 4th gear around 2000-2200 rpm. The rattling seems to disappear or lessen when the clutch lever is pulled in. No noise or rattling at idle and it runs fine otherwise! Are these motors supposed to be this noisy? It's my first touring bike. Been riding a 2006 heritage since new and there is no such noise at all from the engine.

Old 08-06-2024, 11:44 PM
Road Slug
Advanced
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I would pull the primary cover off and inspect chain, compensator, primary chain adjuster and clutch. Worth a peek.

The following users liked this post:
Architect (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 06:07 AM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 1,041 Likes on 535 Posts

It's (more than likely) the rocker shafts hitting the rocker arm support bracket bolts. It's a very common noise that I fixed on my '14 with Rocker Lockers (I think I actually used 'Rockout' brand) Super easy fix and you can replace your umbrella valves while you're in there.
The noise I was hearing was specifically the RPM range you're talking about and sounds like a 'tinny' upper engine rattle / marbles sound.

Old 08-07-2024, 06:16 AM
gt06
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ultra103
It's (more than likely) the rocker shafts hitting the rocker arm support bracket bolts. It's a very common noise that I fixed on my '14 with Rocker Lockers (I think I actually used 'Rockout' brand) Super easy fix and you can replace your umbrella valves while you're in there.
The noise I was hearing was specifically the RPM range you're talking about and sounds like a 'tinny' upper engine rattle / marbles sound.

That's exactly what it sounds like! What is the cost factor?

Old 08-07-2024, 12:07 PM
Musician
Road Captain
Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

The cost factor varies. If you do the job yourself, it's quite cheap. If you have someone else do it, it can be rather spendy.

Old 08-07-2024, 04:08 PM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 1,041 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by gt06
I bought a 12" 12 point dogbone wrench to torque the rocker assembly, it was a cheapie from scamazon. I also got new umbrella valves and gaskets from the dealer. I don't remember the cost now, but it was reasonable. Personally, I would spend a few more dollars for a good sleeve (locker) kit - it may save you some time during installation. Good kits also come with an extra incase one goes awry.

Old 08-07-2024, 07:27 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,634 Likes on 1,179 Posts

Have a look around my website, thousands of ticking problems solved worldwide since 2015, the ONLY patented solution. BEWARE of imitations!

John @ Rockout.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 08-07-2024, 11:32 PM
gt06
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Have a look around my website, thousands of ticking problems solved worldwide since 2015, the ONLY patented solution. BEWARE of imitations!

John @ Rockout.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Is there a Canadian dealer? I called my local Harley shop this morning and he said he couldn't find a part number at Drag Canada. I also called the shop that done the lifters on my bike to see if he could get them and he said he done a couple bikes a few years ago with them and they made no improvement. Maybe just his experience I guess. Only issue I have with ordering anything from the US here in Canada is by the time the dollar conversion is done and import and brokerage fees and taxes and shipping are added in the price on things are cost prohibitive. Last week I had a few things from Soft brake and it only cost something like $500 but by the time all was said and done it was close to $750 plus when it was delivered I had to pay another $87 at the post office for all the other things. It sucks that we have to pay so much more.

Never mind ... I just checked your link and realized I can get them through Amazon but will more then double the price to Canada. I'll order them tomorrow.

Last edited by gt06; 08-07-2024 at 11:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (08-08-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 07:55 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,709 Likes on 2,518 Posts

Is there a Canadian dealer? I called my local Harley shop this morning and he said he couldn't find a part number at Drag Canada. I also called the shop that done the lifters on my bike to see if he could get them and he said he done a couple bikes a few years ago with them and they made no improvement. Maybe just his experience I guess. Only issue I have with ordering anything from the US here in Canada is by the time the dollar conversion is done and import and brokerage fees and taxes and shipping are added in the price on things are cost prohibitive. Last week I had a few things from Soft brake and it only cost something like $500 but by the time all was said and done it was close to $750 plus when it was delivered I had to pay another $87 at the post office for all the other things. It sucks that we have to pay so much more.

Never mind ... I just checked your link and realized I can get them through Amazon but will more then double the price to Canada. I'll order them tomorrow.
I don't know how close you live to the border or if you know somebody close to the border in the states maybe they could order you a set, you drive south to your friend, pick up the goods and drive back across to your house. Your friend "gifted them" to you. Just toss them on the back seat. What could go wrong?

Old 08-10-2024, 08:48 PM
gt06
Cruiser

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
I don't know how close you live to the border or if you know somebody close to the border in the states maybe they could order you a set, you drive south to your friend, pick up the goods and drive back across to your house. Your friend "gifted them" to you. Just toss them on the back seat. What could go wrong?
Unfortunately I don't know anyone across the border but I'm only about a little over an hour from it.